Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving on, after Munster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Many thanks to those who have replied to the thread I started yesterday.
Also , some great observations made tackling/defence, line out, and the breakdown.
It seems bizarre  that we were so strong in the back row at one time.
Now, a combination  of departures, injury, etc have left us struggling. 
Obviously, this could change, but the breakdown, as proven  against Munster, proving a real issue for us! 
The addition of Lezana, will hopefully improve things.

What a contrast when we look at Cardiff, who have Robinson, Williams,Botham, Navidi,Boyde, AND, now Young.
Surely going to be difficult to keep all these happy.
Dragons, also are very strong in this area.Anyone who saw Taine Basham's performance against Conaught last weekend, can only be hugely impressed. Definitely  deserves a chance in a Welsh Jersey! 

Anyway, let us hope, we can build something against Leinster
There will be no expectations, against the best side in the league,
particularly in their RDS fortress.
Ospreys won there last year, with a memorable 'comeback ', performance.
Can scarlets repeat that, I doubt it, but would settle for a performance showing more vigour, heart, and sheer pride, than we witnessed last sunday

Vigour, heart & pride will certainly do for starters. Throw in something resembling a defensive system & we may be able to celebrate getting within 20 points of them!!!!
Sponsored Links

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by ndavies198 ndavies198 wrote:

According to Opta, Scarlets are second in the league for most entires into the opposition 22 but only fourth for converting that into points. The platform is there. If Scarlets can turn that pressure into points with the efficiency of Munster then the wins will surely come - along with sorting out the defence but hopefully that's just a case of adjusting to whatever Hogan is laying down and we'll see improvements as the season goes on.

That stat is probably true but what mystifies me is our reliance on forward power, which we have little of, to score the tries instead of using our backs.
Cost Wales dear in 2015 World Cup against Australia when they are down to 13 men .
It is one of my bug  bears seeing forwards battering against defences metres from the line when often there is space out wide. 
But you can't separate the two. If you don't gain parity upfront then it becomes very difficult to utilise your back-line.

Why is right Steff - you can get parity or near parity but still play to your strengths. I cannot recall the Scarlets in recent years ever being able to convert many 5 metre opportunities through forward power. Our tactic should be to make a few close charges to such in defenders and then get it wide. How many times have we seen pick and go after pick and go until we inevitably spill it - chance gone. It doesn't just happen once a game. Remember Edinburgh a few seasons ago we must have tries a dozen times with no return & we lost by 3 points. Mind numbingly stupid. 

Rugby intelligence, decision making are crucial factors in winning games. NZ are excellent at this and win many very close games as a result (not just because they have the skills, fitness, physicality). Wales and Welsh teams are quite poor in comparison. I think Gatland believed this also - hence the limited gameplan based on rock-solid defence and battering ram attack 'Gatland ball'. He rarely risked complicated attack moves/patterns.

I also remember the Madjeski semi-final; last 10 minutes camped on Northampton's line, endless pick and drives - Matt Cardey, one on one 10 metres out screaming for the ball which never came. I'd have given him a far better chance of beating his man and getting in. We failed to score; they broke out; infringement; penalty, we lost. Crucial decisions not made. Physical skills are, of course essential but rugby intelligence, decision making, game management also need developing and Dwayne has to address this with this team.
What's going on?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

According to Opta, Scarlets are second in the league for most entires into the opposition 22 but only fourth for converting that into points. The platform is there. If Scarlets can turn that pressure into points with the efficiency of Munster then the wins will surely come - along with sorting out the defence but hopefully that's just a case of adjusting to whatever Hogan is laying down and we'll see improvements as the season goes on.

That stat is probably true but what mystifies me is our reliance on forward power, which we have little of, to score the tries instead of using our backs.
Cost Wales dear in 2015 World Cup against Australia when they are down to 13 men .
It is one of my bug  bears seeing forwards battering against defences metres from the line when often there is space out wide. 
But you can't separate the two. If you don't gain parity upfront then it becomes very difficult to utilise your back-line.

Why is right Steff - you can get parity or near parity but still play to your strengths. I cannot recall the Scarlets in recent years ever being able to convert many 5 metre opportunities through forward power. Our tactic should be to make a few close charges to such in defenders and then get it wide. How many times have we seen pick and go after pick and go until we inevitably spill it - chance gone. It doesn't just happen once a game. Remember Edinburgh a few seasons ago we must have tries a dozen times with no return & we lost by 3 points. Mind numbingly stupid. 

Rugby intelligence, decision making are crucial factors in winning games. NZ are excellent at this and win many very close games as a result (not just because they have the skills, fitness, physicality). Wales and Welsh teams are quite poor in comparison. I think Gatland believed this also - hence the limited gameplan based on rock-solid defence and battering ram attack 'Gatland ball'. He rarely risked complicated attack moves/patterns.

I also remember the Madjeski semi-final; last 10 minutes camped on Northampton's line, endless pick and drives - Matt Cardey, one on one 10 metres out screaming for the ball which never came. I'd have given him a far better chance of beating his man and getting in. We failed to score; they broke out; infringement; penalty, we lost. Crucial decisions not made. Physical skills are, of course essential but rugby intelligence, decision making, game management also need developing and Dwayne has to address this with this team.

Spot on. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Thanks Gaffer for reminding us of the failings we are STILL making today.
I was there that day, at the Majenski, for that SF defeat. A bitter pill to swallow. Huge support for scarlets there , and we were the better side.
Just did not have the confidence and belief, to widen the scope of the attack, as and when required. Madden claims to this day, that he grounded the ball....but it didn't change the result.
Carwyn always  stressed  "let the ball do the work".
Even though in the modern pro era, defences are so well organised,
'Letting the ball do the work ' is still a relevant phrase.
You often have to earn the right to go wide, but at the same time need to play  'heads up ' rugby , playing what's in front of you.
Battering ram approach is fine, but, there are many to skin a cat.
Scarlets are short on physicality ATM, so to vary the approach is a sensible option.

I stood yer on tanner bank
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 4:26pm

Scarlets are short on physicality ATM

We're always short of physicality. If not at 8 then it's in the second row or a carrying prop. Lessons never get learned.

Who is going to make hard yards in Dublin now Sione is out?
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Scarlets are short on physicality ATM

We're always short of physicality. If not at 8 then it's in the second row or a carrying prop. Lessons never get learned.

Who is going to make hard yards in Dublin now Sione is out?
Is Tuipulotu back fit? I read somewhere that he was still recovering from a hand injury he picked up playing for Wales U20s, but he’s been one of the ‘ball boys’ for the last couple of home matches. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 4:53pm

Against Munster they  ruined us at the breakdown, Cloete had a free reign. The ball we had throughout the game was so slow ,with the backs offside not been officiated . So much for the IRB clampdown on this area of the game .
      KALAMFONI as carried us for the last 18 months , as virtually our only forward carrier. Hopefully Lezana will be a great help here. It's all very good saying the ball will travel quicker than the man, for that to happen the ball as to be quick from all phases of play .

Huge areas to work on ,fringe defence , one to one tackling .Competing at breakdown, faster speed of ball! Lineout precision .
    Onwards to Leinster!!!
London Scarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 7:59pm
That’s such a surprising stat. Can we look at dropping some more goals then? At least having some more variety in our play in the 22. 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by London Scarlet London Scarlet wrote:

That’s such a surprising stat. Can we look at dropping some more goals then? At least having some more variety in our play in the 22. 
We did score 7 tries in our first two matches. That’s why we’re so high in those rankings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic