Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South Africa Selection.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 3:58pm
Line out is a system of players starting with 

the lineout caller
then the throw from the hooker 
then the jump usually a second row or back row
And then the lifter usually both the props

Point being is that the lineout is a group of 5 players at least and any one of them f up then it doesn’t work

I’ve been with a team of strangers for a week, far below international standard and managed to create a working lineout for a game, how the fook can so called international players not run a functioning lineou5 ?
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 4:13pm
It’s a very good point, well made.

We managed to lose a lineout in their 22 that they actually didn’t compete on….that’s some going.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

We managed to lose a lineout in their 22 that they actually didn’t compete on….that’s some going.

Well made point indeed Wil - I didn't spot that particular lineout - says it all really. I sincerely hope I am wrong but I have a nasty feeling that Ryan is not going to fulfil his rich potential.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 4:24pm
Lol most posters on here know Elias’ game isn’t built around his lineout throwing. It’s maddening that he must’ve worked on this for 4 years but still misses a lot of throws. 

While I am generally pessimistic like GPR - I do actually think we stand a chance of beating the Boks and the Aussies. We may well lose to Fiji but that’s because we’ll pick a 2nd team which is now a 3rd team due to injuries.

Very simply New Zealand are so so so clinical - we’re a side that makes errors - e.g Jonny McNicholl had a great game, throws one bad offload try for Barrat. Likewise at the very beginning, one bad pass from Anscombe/good read by Barrat and they’re under the sticks. This is classic NZ, they have the license to go for things like that.

SA and Aus aren’t as clinical and they don’t have the same license to go for it in the way the ABs do. Both sides try to beat you in a very different way. 

With those English players back in the squad, we’re not miles better but we are better. 

LRZ, Adams, Liam is a world class back 3 in a way that Adams, Lane, McNicholl aren’t imo.

Tompkins adds something different to Foxy, which makes selection there interesting - likewise when Halaholo returns, it gives Pivac a choice to make. 

For years we’ve been saying you have to score tries to beat the Southern Hemisphere sides and if there is one thing Pivac and Jones have done, it’s got Wales better at scoring tries. So I’m more confident that we might nick a win than others here.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 4:29pm

that made me chuckle, hopefully we can get this sorted for the weekend if anything the boks line out is better than the abs
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 4:47pm

LOL I dont know whether to LOL or Cry
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 5:20pm
Let’s go back to the wingers throwing in I don’t remember Gerald losing that many. Give Adams and LRZ a go I say. 😂😂
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 5:30pm
I should add that in my view Elias messed up a couple, one a massive overthrow, but the jumpers didn’t get off the ground on another, and they failed to hold to at least one more. Nothing to do with the throw.

Beard, for all his height, is just an ornament on our throw. When you know you don’t need to worry about the tallest guy in the opposing team being in any way a line-out threat, it really does narrow down the options for guys like Retallick and Whitelock to attack on an opposition throw.

Electing to kick to the corner without a functioning lineout is as bad as missing the throw…
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Lol most posters on here know Elias’ game isn’t built around his lineout throwing. It’s maddening that he must’ve worked on this for 4 years but still misses a lot of throws. 

While I am generally pessimistic like GPR - I do actually think we stand a chance of beating the Boks and the Aussies. We may well lose to Fiji but that’s because we’ll pick a 2nd team which is now a 3rd team due to injuries.

Very simply New Zealand are so so so clinical - we’re a side that makes errors - e.g Jonny McNicholl had a great game, throws one bad offload try for Barrat. Likewise at the very beginning, one bad pass from Anscombe/good read by Barrat and they’re under the sticks. This is classic NZ, they have the license to go for things like that.

SA and Aus aren’t as clinical and they don’t have the same license to go for it in the way the ABs do. Both sides try to beat you in a very different way. 

With those English players back in the squad, we’re not miles better but we are better. 

LRZ, Adams, Liam is a world class back 3 in a way that Adams, Lane, McNicholl aren’t imo.

Tompkins adds something different to Foxy, which makes selection there interesting - likewise when Halaholo returns, it gives Pivac a choice to make. 

For years we’ve been saying you have to score tries to beat the Southern Hemisphere sides and if there is one thing Pivac and Jones have done, it’s got Wales better at scoring tries. So I’m more confident that we might nick a win than others here.

It's telling to note that in the positives mentioned in your post there isn't a forward mentioned. I agree Wales does have some top quality backs. It's a shame that without forwards to create the platform their talents are largely wasted.
What's going on?
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

It's telling to note that in the positives mentioned in your post there isn't a forward mentioned. I agree Wales does have some top quality backs. It's a shame that without forwards to create the platform their talents are largely wasted.

Nah I actually think our props in Wyn and Francis, back row in Wainwright and Basham are strong.

People forget how much of a difference AWJ makes at scrum time, which showed when he went off vs NZ. 

I’d be sympathetic to giving Tshinuza a run out vs the Boks. Basham showed vs NZ that a debutant doesn’t mean you’ll be off the boil. 

Sometimes in international rugby the level of analysis that goes into it means “unproven” players are sometimes more valuable than 60+ cap players 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 7:29pm
In fairness to elias he carried more times and further than wyn, Francis, awj, beard, kirby, carre and Lewis combined. Yes the Welsh lineout needs a lot of work but he adds a lot of value in other areas. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

In fairness to elias he carried more times and further than wyn, Francis, awj, beard, kirby, carre and Lewis combined. Yes the Welsh lineout needs a lot of work but he adds a lot of value in other areas. 
granted but it’s no
Use if he can’t do his core task and losing 5/6 line outs negates all his good work in the loose. Not saying the line out is solely his fault

Edited by RR1972 - 01 November 2021 at 7:43pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

tbh wales are lacking in quality in the backs as well as the pack especially at 9 and 13
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

granted but it’s no
Use if he can’t do his core task and losing 5/6 line outs negates all his good work in the loose. Not saying the line out is solely his fault

According to the official stats Wales lost 2 out of 9 lineouts.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 10:01pm

granted but it’s no

we missed 3 throws on the spin At one stage
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 10:09pm

granted but it’s no

we missed 3 throws on the spin At one stage

I'm just quoting the official stats. Do those 3 count where Wales then has pens? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic