Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South Africa Selection.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I still think that Carré for 2923 is a prospect. Wink

Whether it’s through cloning or the genes coming good through evolution is another matter.

If that fails, there’s always attack of the clones.

I believe the WRU Eugenics program featuring George North & Becky James and Thomas Young & Emma Moriarty is moving along nicely
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 9:19pm
Just read in the Guardian that Ken Owens will play no part in the Autumn internationals and has been released back to the Scarlets.
Groundhog Day.
Keep the faith
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by jimmywilde jimmywilde wrote:

Someone mentioned two years being enough time to build a squad and I tend to agree. Pivac isn't looking for 33 new players. 
Just my opinion, of course.

SA in 2019, but also Wales in 2011 I seem to remember we had a brand new crop of players who’d played v few games before that tournament. Many of them household names now. Faletau, Foxy, Warburton, Priestland etc 

Those 4 wouldn’t have been ready for top-level international rugby in 2009 but they were two years later. 

This time last year LRZ wasn’t ready for international rugby, but all of a sudden he was. 

Obviously you can’t rely on a group of 20 year-olds coming good but you can overcomplicate things by looking too far ahead

You can look at it a different way too. Maybe if they had been introduced earlier we'd have not lost in the semi-final. 
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 1:59am

Whether it’s through cloning or the genes coming good through evolution is another matter.

I believe the WRU Eugenics program featuring George North & Becky James and Thomas Young & Emma Moriarty is moving along nicely
Adam Beard is married to a netball international. They’ll have some athletes on their hands.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 8:08am
Originally posted by jimmywilde jimmywilde wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You correctly quote South Africa but the difference I would suggest was that they identified two years out a squad and stuck with it giving players 15-20 games to get combinations working and gain experience. If Pivac has done that then I would suggest he has got it wrong if he thinks AWJ, Ken & Foxy will be the best 2, 4 or 13 available by 2023. 

I would guess that AWJ will still be one of the top 3 locks in Wales in 2023, likewise I think Ken will still be in the top 3 hookers come 2023. 

Remember both these guys could very well do a job coming off the bench as finishers who only play 20minutes every week.

I think Victor Matfield was 37, during the 2015 RWC and came off the bench in the Semi-Final/3rd place playoff. Obvs he was a world class line out operator so had an obvious role but I think AWJ offers more than that for Wales.

Oh if it were that simple. You may be able to get away with one member of dad's army on the bench but not 4/5. Also it doesn't always go to script i.e. final 20 minutes - what happens if they are required in the 5th minute. I just feel it is a sad indictment of your strength in depth & succession planning if you are in that position. On the subject of AWJ I think Pivac has talked himself into selecting him come what may for 2023 - fortunately AWJ will probably know if he is up to it himslef and may save Pivac's blushes. 
dyniol only mentioned two players not '4/5'.
I wouldn't be surprised if the two he mentioned were still among our best options in 2023. Not guaranteed but not impossible. And like you said they'll know themselves if they are up to it or not.
They have played about 20 mins between them this campaign so plenty of opportunities for others. 
Someone mentioned two years being enough time to build a squad and I tend to agree. Pivac isn't looking for 33 new players. 
Just my opinion, of course.

Yes of course its all personal opinion & I certainly don't suggest that my view is necessarily correct. I just feel Pivac & his selections sometimes are a little baffling. My 4/5 figure was with AWJ, Ken, Foxy, Tipuric & possibly Halfpenny involved in the 2023 campaign. As many have suggested it is real fine line & selection is one of the key elements of success at International level. I hope he gets it right. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Adam Beard is married to a netball international. They’ll have some athletes on their hands.

Didn’t know that. It’s more advanced than I thought! 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 11:07am
The one positon we are stacked in is the one position we have unearthed another future star! As you say we really need a few more young forwards to step up , elias and carter have big potential and could be 6 nations starters imo
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The one positon we are stacked in is the one position we have unearthed another future star! As you say we really need a few more young forwards to step up , elias and carter have big potential and could be 6 nations starters imo

I know he's not a favourite of yours but I like the look of Seb Davies. He could develop into an Aaron Shingler type of lineout ball player. He isn't an out and out 5 but I like the look of him at 6 - eventually would a Pieter Steph du Toit type of player be asking too much????

As for 2nd rows I think without AWJ for at least the earlier rounds Beard, Rowlands, Carter & Rhys Davies is a decent stable with hopefully Morgan Jones & Jac Price making progress towards a summer tour. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 11:29am
We really could do with a back of the line option if seb or this christ chap can do that for us i’d be happy. They both are big enough that’s for sure
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 12:29pm

I know he's not a favourite of yours but I like the look of Seb Davies. He could develop into an Aaron Shingler type of lineout ball player. He isn't an out and out 5 but I like the look of him at 6 - eventually would a Pieter Steph du Toit type of player be asking too much????

As for 2nd rows I think without AWJ for at least the earlier rounds Beard, Rowlands, Carter & Rhys Davies is a decent stable with hopefully Morgan Jones & Jac Price making progress towards a summer tour. 
I concur in relation to Seb Davies. I have reservations with the mass hysteria surrounding Ellis Jenkins. There is no doubt that he had a very good game last Saturday, my issue is that he is not a ball carrier or a lineout option. A big 6 is essential for Wales as we don't possess big ball carrying number 8.
I would like to see Seb given a run of games at 6.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

I concur in relation to Seb Davies. I have reservations with the mass hysteria surrounding Ellis Jenkins. There is no doubt that he had a very good game last Saturday, my issue is that he is not a ball carrier or a lineout option. A big 6 is essential for Wales as we don't possess big ball carrying number 8.

To my eyes, Shane Lewis Hughes is a better option at 6. Big player, dedicated 6, and less prone to stupid penalties than Seb. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

jenkis is a 7 really. Wales basically played two sevens last week if navidi was fit we may have played 3!
Coch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 5:22pm
Interesting article in WoL by ex lions prop Alex Corbisiero. Puts the blame for the failing Welsh scrum firmly on coaching. Tinkering with the No 8 has a knock on effect on the second rows whilst the props have to carry the blame.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Coch Coch wrote:

Interesting article in WoL by ex lions prop Alex Corbisiero. Puts the blame for the failing Welsh scrum firmly on coaching. Tinkering with the No 8 has a knock on effect on the second rows whilst the props have to carry the blame.
Of court, it’s so easy to find fault especially if you’re paid to write an article. I think the overall bulk and power of the Bok pack had a bearing plus some soft refereeing. 
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2021 at 2:47pm
I’ve thought for a long time that we need to breed Lrz and Jasmine Joyce
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 9:47pm

I understand planning for 2023 but I also think it’s futile. You can plan for 2023 and then end up playing the best team in the quarter final and you’re out, 4 years of planning gone.

You need to win games and tournaments between the world cups as well, Pivac has done once which is good but the aim has to be to better Gatlands record vs these Southern Hemisphere giants and try and win the 6N every attempt.

Arguably Pivac has achieved already much of what Gatland couldn’t.

Won a 6 nations with a record amount of tries
Won a game in Southern Hemisphere vs SA

I’d guess Anscombe’ conversion has bought Pivac time through to the World Cup 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic