Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South Africa Selection.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 6:14am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I understand planning for 2023 but I also think it’s futile. You can plan for 2023 and then end up playing the best team in the quarter final and you’re out, 4 years of planning gone.

You need to win games and tournaments between the world cups as well, Pivac has done once which is good but the aim has to be to better Gatlands record vs these Southern Hemisphere giants and try and win the 6N every attempt.

Arguably Pivac has achieved already much of what Gatland couldn’t.

Won a 6 nations with a record amount of tries
Won a game in Southern Hemisphere vs SA

I’d guess Anscombe’ conversion has bought Pivac time through to the World Cup 

The victory has certainly bought Pivac time as did the 1st test performance. I, for one, honestly thought that they would lose all 3 tests by 15-20 at least. If they had suffered 3 bad defeats then the pressure would have mounted. At least now he has the chance to plan for the world cup and get his selections/gameplan spot on. 
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 8:28am
Yes the performances & the win on Saturday has bought him more time & I hope eased a bit of pressure for him. I'd still like to see a bit of progression on Saturday with our back line looking a bit more potent & stringing a couple of moves together though for me that would probably involve brining Jonny Williams in which won't happen. North has looked quiet & according to the ESPN stats, he hasn't carried for a meter yet in the series. I think I'd like to see him back on the wing & bring Williams into the centre to see if that can free him up a bit. 

Forwards wise, I wouldn't change anything apart from Wainwright will probably start (though there hasn't been any news on Lewis yet). I did think that Lake would probably start the 3rd test but he didn't have the best game when he came on so Pivac may start Elias again. 

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:18am
It would be a grave mistake to fire Pivac. 

He is doing a good job of filling arguably the biggest coaching boots in Welsh rugby history (pro era for sure). 

On the day wales can mix it with the best. The last two games have shown that. Pivac has experimented with the side early on which didn’t help his cause, the naysayers got ammo for the sack Pivac argument. 

Compare him to his counterparts Farrel and Jones. Who is performing the best…

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

He is doing a good job of filling arguably the biggest coaching boots in Welsh rugby history (pro era for sure). 

On the day wales can mix it with the best. The last two games have shown that. Pivac has experimented with the side early on which didn’t help his cause, the naysayers got ammo for the sack Pivac argument. 

Farrell by a country mile as witnessed by the humiliation suffered by Wales last 6 nations. Pivac & Eddie on a par in my books. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:26am

I have always give him time, but I think the upcoming Autumn internationals will show us where we really are. We should get 3 wins from 4 which will be a good return. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:26am
Eddie is the worst of the bunch. Considering the depth of players the English have, they should win far more games than they are.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Farrell by a country mile as witnessed by the humiliation suffered by Wales last 6 nations. Pivac & Eddie on a par in my books. 
You sure about that? Farrel hasn’t won anything. Look at how Irish province success isn’t translating to the domestic side. Plus he still picks the same players. Sexton really should have had a successor. Farrels not looking beyond the WC. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:50am

You sure about that? Farrel hasn’t won anything. Look at how Irish province success isn’t translating to the domestic side. Plus he still picks the same players. Sexton really should have had a successor. Farrels not looking beyond the WC. 
Surely this is a wind up?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:50am

But if that's how long his contract is for then why would he look beyond the WC? You could argue that he is doing more in developing a pool of talent as his second string have played 2 competitive games in the last couple of weeks. 

Agreed about Sexton mind, no one is pushing him for his starting berth.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:59am
Its not beyond the realm of possibility Ireland go out in the group stages. I don’t think this will happen but they have Scotland and South Africa. I’d Fancy Wales to win their group, England too.

Those taking Farrel over Pivac, why? 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 11:23am

Its not beyond the realm of possibility Ireland go out in the group stages. I don’t think this will happen but they have Scotland and South Africa. I’d Fancy Wales to win their group, England too.

But within the same breath it could be equally possible they go through as group winners. 

I'm not sure I prefer either one out of Pivac or Farrell, more than the other really. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Surely this is a wind up?

Farrel is streets ahead of the others. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:06pm

A victory for Wales over the ABs would be oh so nice.  Farrell and Schmidt have each delivered. OK they have had more high quality players than Pivac has at his disposal but a victory over the ABs still has to be delivered, no matter how good your players are.

One thing that Pivac and Farrell have over Schmidt is they both knew how to use Beirne. Schmidt didn't. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

A victory for Wales over the ABs would be oh so nice.  Farrell and Schmidt have each delivered. OK they have had more high quality players than Pivac has at his disposal but a victory over the ABs still has to be delivered, no matter how good your players are.

One thing that Pivac and Farrell have over Schmidt is they both knew how to use Beirne. Schmidt didn't. 

Pivac and Wales winning the six nations was the biggest fluke in the history of flukes. 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:10pm
Agree in part. But you still have to pressurise the opposition into committing the red card offences that the opponents did.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 1:08pm

South Africa side to face Wales: Damian Willemse; Cheslin Kolbe, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi; Handre Pollard, Jaden Hendrikse; Trevor Nyakane, Bongi Mbonambi, Frans Malherbe; Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager; Siya Kolisi (capt), Pieter-Steph du Toit, Jasper Wiese,

Replacements: Malcolm Marx, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Franco Mostert, Kwagga Smith, Elrigh Louw, Faf de Klerk, Willie le Roux.

Joshua24:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic