Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets wales women.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets wales women.
    Posted: 08 November 2021 at 6:08pm
As much as I have really enjoyed reading the contributions of various people on the forum regarding the Autumn Internationals,  with some seemingly spending their every waking hour on task,what has completely gone under the radar is the Womens Autumn campaign 

We have 7 scarlets girls in the Welsh squad.....Alisha Butchers, Caitlin Lewis, Ffion Lewis,Alex Calender,Hannah Jones,  Jazz Joyce,& Caryl Thomas.
Hannah, Jazz & Catyl starting against Japan yesterday, with Alisha, Ffion and Alex coming off the bench.
In additional, we now have former Scarlet Ioann Cunningham as interim  head coach, and the recently departed Richard Whiffen, as skills coach !

It's been  a wretched 2 years for the girls, coaches coming and going , playing teams like France and England , who are pro or semi pro.
Most of the girls have now had to play in England in the premiership to gain experience of any quality rugby,and it us paying dividends
Many them have had to sacrifice so much just to play for their country, many juggling full -tije or part time  jobs , training and family life.

To top it all many have had to put with online abuse, mainly from men,  leading to individuals like Elinor Snowsill wondering what she was doing playing for Wales? It's a disgrace really, from keyboard warriors,  who probably have never stepped on the rugby field,  leave alone the international stage. 

We know the recent standards have been poor, but hopefully, with the WRU eventually getting their act together, offering the girls (in my understanding) 10 pro contract and 15 retainer contracts to be clarified next month. Leading on to the 6N and World Cup, this is good news.
Underpinning this ,at last will be proper age grade organisation from U16 upwards, giving girls the opportunity to play sport at a decent level.Goodness knows why this hasn't happened before.! 

Even though I am a fanatical Scarlet, as a player, I was second class at best. Would have given my right arm to play for Wales. 
I find it difficult  to fathom therefore, why there those nor supportive of the women's games despite its difficulties
Let's hope the win yesterday can build some confidence , and  hopefully they will move on to better things.
The 7 Scarlets  girls and indeed, the whole squad, deserve our support !
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 6:20pm
Good on them huge acheivement to play for wales in anything
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Good on them huge acheivement to play for wales in anything
Agreed. Also to officiate for Wales.

It’s hugely aspirational, inspiring and motivational.

Good luck to ‘em all.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 7:02pm
Thanks for shining a light on this. There should possibly be a separate segment on the forum for Scarlets women's rugby.

The club needs to pick this up too. The Ladies page at least has the squad on there, albeit many without picture profiles (including Jasmin Joyce !). You also won't find much in the way of any articles on the Ladies game, Wales selection, on our website.

If we mean to take this up properly then the Web pages needs to be reviewed...for example the 'Squad' page can't be pre determined to be just the men's squad.

Anyway, I'm off on one...thanks for raising it.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Thanks for shining a light on this. There should possibly be a separate segment on the forum for Scarlets women's rugby.

The club needs to pick this up too. The Ladies page at least has the squad on there, albeit many without picture profiles (including Jasmin Joyce !). You also won't find much in the way of any articles on the Ladies game, Wales selection, on our website.

If we mean to take this up properly then the Web pages needs to be reviewed...for example the 'Squad' page can't be pre determined to be just the men's squad.

Thanks Will for mentioning this..and mentioning Jaz Joyce.
Here is an inspirational girl, from St Davids, who has been outstanding for years, both for Scarlets, Wales and GB sevens,  where she has been the star of recent tournaments.
She was "player of the match "  yesterday, not just for the piece of sublime skill,which led to yer first try, but her overall game.
With more publicity Jazz could and should be inspiring the next generation  of JazzJoyce's who could be playing for their local clubs..U8's/ 10's etc on a sun morning.
We need to develop and "sell " the Womens game.
Ten Thousand crowds  in successive weeks,  to see Eng play NZ at sandy Park Exeter, at Franklin Gardens Northampton, says it all !
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 8:37pm
Clicked on BBC website for yesterday’s results. The two women’s internationals didn’t have the click through see who scored facility.

The men’s matches did.

For a national broadcaster, how stupid is that?!
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Thanks Will for mentioning this..and mentioning Jaz Joyce.
Here is an inspirational girl, from St Davids, who has been outstanding for years, both for Scarlets, Wales and GB sevens,  where she has been the star of recent tournaments.

I didn’t know that! 

She’s a phenomenal player, unreal gas 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Clicked on BBC website for yesterday’s results. The two women’s internationals didn’t have the click through see who scored facility.

The men’s matches did.

For a national broadcaster, how stupid is that?!

Not good.

Watch the match in full here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0b02n7c/menywod-cymru-v-menywod-siapan

Watch out for Jaz's thumping defensive tackle in the second half (and her two tries of course!)
Joshua24:15
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 9:03am
Is there an actual Scarlets women’s rugby team as don’t all the players loosely attributed to Scarlets train and play their rugby in England?  🤔 They then come together for Wales. With funding from the WRU starting off the region should buy more into regional women’s game- it’s a big audience as well! 🤔

Edited by reesytheexile - 09 November 2021 at 9:04am
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 10:08am
We do have a Ladies section/team on the website ( should be reset to 'Men's squad' and 'Ladies squad', not just 'Squad' and 'Ladies'.).

Jasmine Joyce is on there, but plays for Bristol Bears, is contracted to the GB 7's team, and so might now have to miss the next 2 AI games for Wales as she will likely be called up for a 7's tournament.

What a great example of both what women players have to do to try to carve out a living from rugby, mixed in with the absolute bus crash the purports to be the governance of the women's game here.

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 10:54am

We do have a Ladies section/team on the website ( should be reset to 'Men's squad' and 'Ladies squad', not just 'Squad' and 'Ladies'.).

Jasmine Joyce is on there, but plays for Bristol Bears, is contracted to the GB 7's team, and so might now have to miss the next 2 AI games for Wales as she will likely be called up for a 7's tournament.

What a great example of both what women players have to do to try to carve out a living from rugby, mixed in with the absolute bus crash the purports to be the governance of the women's game here.

Yes, spot on Will.
The issue now, for those who have forged careers,is that they may have to choose,  with the rugby World Cup hanging as a carrot! 
Unfortunately,  as we know from players like Cubby, that you are only ONE injury  away from retirement...so if yours eggs are all in the rugby basket,  at the expense of a permanent long term future, you could have problems. 

Using Jazz as the example, prior to the recent WRU announcement on
contracts, she would have to be catching around again,been her GB sevens contract ran out , so at least for her and many other girls, we are moving in the right direction

To answer Reestheexile's question...inter regional was a regular thing, and prior to the exodus across the Severn bridge, the only top end game time girls would get,and even that was probably inferior to the level of competition they are used to, week on week in the English premiership. 
Not sure when the next round of regional fares is planned .
Scarlets women's games have been played at different venues, with some being hosted on the Parc training pitch
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Yes, spot on Will.
The issue now, for those who have forged careers,is that they may have to choose,  with the rugby World Cup hanging as a carrot! 
Unfortunately,  as we know from players like Cubby, that you are only ONE injury  away from retirement...so if yours eggs are all in the rugby basket,  at the expense of a permanent long term future, you could have problems. 

Using Jazz as the example, prior to the recent WRU announcement on
contracts, she would have to be catching around again,been her GB sevens contract ran out , so at least for her and many other girls, we are moving in the right direction

To answer Reestheexile's question...inter regional was a regular thing, and prior to the exodus across the Severn bridge, the only top end game time girls would get,and even that was probably inferior to the level of competition they are used to, week on week in the English premiership. 
Not sure when the next round of regional fares is planned .
Scarlets women's games have been played at different venues, with some being hosted on the Parc training pitch

So I would hope that one day the Welsh regions ( bolstered  by WRU funding)  will look to running their own Women’s professional clubs but playing clubs over the border? We just can’t have all Wales internationals playing in England. When you look at the quality of the England ladies in terms of fitness and conditioning compared to our largely amateur players, you can see how much we have to do to catch up! 

Edited by reesytheexile - 09 November 2021 at 12:00pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 12:20pm
I have serious doubts womens rugby will ever generate enough interest fan support and finance to be full professional in wales tbh

Edited by RR1972 - 09 November 2021 at 12:20pm
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 1:26pm
If women’s rugby wants to thrive they should stay clear of the WRU. 
The women’s game has come on leaps and bounds and in Jasmine we have a world class player who should be the poster girl for the game and be used to attract the young girls and boys to the game.
I read somewhere that she has to go back to teaching as she isn’t full time . The WRU should get off there arse and give her a full time contract and use her as a shining example of what can be achieved. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:21pm
I’m a fan of the Womens game and of course I want them to do well.

I understand that the Wales Women have been working extremely hard, effectively most of them have been working full time jobs and training and travelling in their own time without getting paid for doing so.

They have been through a lot of different coaches and there is definitely some scandal involving Roland Phillips as that ended very quickly with no real reason.

However with all this considered I do not find that the full time contracts are a good idea at this point, from a business point of view the Women do not bring in anything to the Wru.

The u20s could also be seen as bad business however they provide the pathway for players who develop into a team that sells out the Principality which is obviously the cash cow of the WRU.

Everything that the the Women's game has is built on the back of what the Mens game has achieved so to use the facility’s stadiums etc they should perhaps be a little more grateful. 

Regional rugby is a disgrace at the moment and I feel that the money would be better invested there.

It may seem I’m against the woman's game but believe me I’m not. They should be given help where possible and be compensated for travel and loss for work but full time contracts are crazy semi pro would be a reasonable first step and see how that goes.

By the way my fave Womens play is Alisha Butchers 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:51pm

Nothing against the Womens game whatsoever. Make it a Pro game in Wales, is a huge risk .Not forgetting there is not enough money in the Welsh game for the Men's Pro game ,the same with the grassroots.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic