Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ospreys Game on Friday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Carwyn looked good. Biggest positive for me from the development matches was him. Lineout seems to be a big issue for us. MacRae throws similarly to Elias, as far as setting up and they both seem to pump or nearly dummy the throw, and then timing is off. Not sure if it’s coincidental but it makes me wonder how we are training the hookers within the club.
Agreed, we need to go back to basics on this. We have plenty of lifters and jumpers. I believe its a problem with throwing and that boils down to coaching. Something has to happen, its a mess. 
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Carwyn looked good. Biggest positive for me from the development matches was him. Lineout seems to be a big issue for us. MacRae throws similarly to Elias, as far as setting up and they both seem to pump or nearly dummy the throw, and then timing is off. Not sure if it’s coincidental but it makes me wonder how we are training the hookers within the club.
Agreed, we need to go back to basics on this. We have plenty of lifters and jumpers. I believe its a problem with throwing and that boils down to coaching. Something has to happen, its a mess. 

Agreed and in probably one of our most important “ shortage “ positions ie number 8 ! He is coming along nicely 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 2:26pm
Carwyn carried well made a few big hits to , the ospreys back row work rate outshone ours, but i think  carwyn will be a guy who gives us big moments in a game not 80 mintues of high intensity involvement. I thought patchell was a bit dissapointing yday but it’s prob not a game he was going to get excited about

Edited by RR1972 - 20 November 2021 at 2:27pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I think the relative performances of the teams reflect on the sort of emphasis expected of them from the coaching staff. The young Ospreys are expected to perform in the same way as the senior team-
do the basics well -can't imagine them presenting a team with as poor a lineout as ours today
don't take unnecessary risks
when you find a weakness in the opposition, ruthlessly exploit it even if the game becomes repetitive and boring
don't pick players who miss tackles or can't pass competently / safely.
Today just one facett of the game ensured we had lost in the first 25 minutes and that we then had to take even greater risks attempting to turn things around. Last week against the Dragons we had a difficult start, but we were never so comprehensively beaten in one aspect of the game and we had a smaller gap to close. This week we had a much bigger barrier to overcome and the Ospreys were a much more professional side with a much tighter defence.
It's still early days for Peel and hopefully he'll start employing coaches and players that don't just want a few moments of flair followed by incompetent, error strewn hours.

Thanks Dai. Pretty much as I saw it. Ospreys pretty much gifted a 3 try lead and then the Scarlets are chasing the game from 25 mins on.
A but dismayed to see some basic 2 on 1's squandered and the dysfunctional lineout, but these are really just development games.

The Ospreys did look better organized, having said that it is so much easier when you are in cruise mode. Carwyn carried well, but his opposite number (Strong) was the best player on either side.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 8:51pm
Apparently a coach in junior rugby told Strong that he may as well pack up as he wasn't good enough to make it, and this motivated him to put the effort and get him where he is now. Doesn't work for everyone, but as a last resort.......
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 11:17pm
I didn't watch the whole game, just bits, but the most noticeable difference in the 2 sides I thought was in defence.  O's were flooding the breakdown area and winning turnovers/penalties.  We struggled there to get enough support over the ball.  In defence we fanned out and gave them free, quick ball but had more defenders for the next phase.  That's fine if first up tackles are made but they weren't so we had the worst of both worlds then.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Apparently a coach in junior rugby told Strong that he may as well pack up as he wasn't good enough to make it, and this motivated him to put the effort and get him where he is now. Doesn't work for everyone, but as a last resort.......
Yep poor buggers playing for the Ospreys
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 10:14am
Peel needs to explain this performance and the extent of the loss . We were poor technically especially line outs and were well beaten and at home! 

My trivial highlight of a dreary evening was being in the food stall and seeing Toby Booth ( in his shorts ) accidentally  spill the large milk bottle everywhere when topping up his coffee!! He didn’t drop the burger though in his other hand!!   He took his gentle telling off from the woman who had to clear it up well though 😂 Not a very big bloke close up but he’s certainly sorted out the old enemy this season! 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 11:52am
Surely these development players need to be training with the 1st XV and not seperately. Therefore Peel has overall coaching responsibility and not others
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Peel needs to explain this performance and the extent of the loss . We were poor technically especially line outs and were well beaten and at home! 

My trivial highlight of a dreary evening was being in the food stall and seeing Toby Booth ( in his shorts ) accidentally  spill the large milk bottle everywhere when topping up his coffee!! He didn’t drop the burger though in his other hand!!   He took his gentle telling off from the woman who had to clear it up well though 😂 Not a very big bloke close up but he’s certainly sorted out the old enemy this season! 
Peel doesn't coach this group does he?
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 5:11pm

No 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I just don’t think that as head of a small group of senior coaches in the region that Duane can be seen to ignore a significant loss to our biggest rivals . I hope that someone will front up to the press to explain how things were so poor and the Ospreys so good 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 6:31pm

I just don’t think that as head of a small group of senior coaches in the region that Duane can be seen to ignore a significant loss to our biggest rivals . I hope that someone will front up to the press to explain how things were so poor and the Ospreys so good 
It was a development game, nothing on it. We're not in an A league. I don't think a public enquiry is required.
They definitely underperformed and looked under prepared, for sure. Undoubtedly there will be a review on Monday, but Dwayne et al will be more concerned with the 1st team's trip to SA and the EPCR games
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 6:41pm

It was a development game, nothing on it. We're not in an A league. I don't think a public enquiry is required.
They definitely underperformed and looked under prepared, for sure. Undoubtedly there will be a review on Monday, but Dwayne et al will be more concerned with the 1st team's trip to SA and the EPCR games
True .  I probably just have an Ospreys hammering us obsession problem 😂
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 8:01pm
Dwayne should certainly be asking serious questions about our malfunctioning line-out which, although not unique to the A team, certainly condemned us to defeat on Friday night.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2021 at 8:26pm

I find it hard to believe he has nothing to do with it. If so that’s ridiculous. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic