Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New irb rules re player qualification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Interesting times, I don't think Wales will benefit too much, but you never know

Scott technically now qualifies for England, Ireland, France and Scotland from August 2022.
if i was scotland i’d call him up tbh
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:17pm
There'll be a host of players who we had no idea qualified elsewhere who'll suddenly become eligible in time for the WC.

Tonga, Fiji and Samoa will get the most available but wouldn't be surprised if all the home nations have a few surprise availabilities, likewise some other countries like Uruguay, America, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Netherlands etc. could see some new additions in time for qualifiers.

It'll make for probably the most competitive RWC ever, but I'm not convinced it's a good thing.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:22pm
These changes will also mean that countries who restrict the amount of foreigners in their club squads may well end up doing some additional juggling with their recruitment and retention.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:39pm
I think that’s a decent call…it subtly changes what we might think about the classification’ NWQ’.

I also agree, I expect to see a big focus on who might now be available to a country for RWC 2023, with players with a South Sea island Heritage (now overlooked by NZ, Australia etc) along with ‘ British’ players, likely to be the main player/country beneficiaries. The change means little to the likes Japan or Argentina right now though.

I’m not opposed to it in concept, but I do see players that don’t like a coach, or get dropped for whatever reason, take their kitbag to another country whilst still young ( should they qualify to play for them of course).
Say someone like Christ Tschiunza fell out with Wales, he could call a 3 year international hiatus and make himself available to England, whilst still only 22. Not sure that’s a good thing.

Be interesting to see how things play out for the Vunipola boys there ( Aus and Tonga qualified).

Edited by Wil Chips - 25 November 2021 at 12:46pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:43pm
I think it should just be where you / your parents were born that allows you to qualify for another country. Otherwise you’ll have players where one grandparent was born in a country but moved away when they were two deciding that they actually have a really close connection to that country so that they can continue playing international rugby! Keeping it to just the birthplace of the player and their parents would help make sure that only those who are truly dual national would be able to play for two countries (I know you’d still have the odd exception this way but there’d be a lot less of them).
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I think it should just be where you / your parents were born that allows you to qualify for another country. Otherwise you’ll have players where one grandparent was born in a country but moved away when they were two deciding that they actually have a really close connection to that country so that they can continue playing international rugby! Keeping it to just the birthplace of the player and their parents would help make sure that only those who are truly dual national would be able to play for two countries (I know you’d still have the odd exception this way but there’d be a lot less of them).

There are annoying edge cases in this though. My cousin is an athlete, from welsh family. Mum is from N.Wales, Dad grew up in Pembs/Cardiff. Mum was actually born in Liverpool, and the Dad in Plymouth. Both lived majority of their lives in Wales. My cousin was then actually born in Saudi Arabia, as the parents were both out there working as teachers. 

Due to Wales commonwealth games selection criteria, she couldn’t compete for Wales and had to compete for England. A joke our family loves making at her expense. If the comm-games selection criteria included grandparents, 3/4 were born in Wales. But it didn’t, so she’s English.

She could have of course qualified as a Saudi but they wouldn’t let her 😅

I agree there have to be hard and fast rules, but “birthplace” is simply one aspect of it and residency should apply too IMO. I also think you could change it so if you have 2 or more grandparents born in that country you could play for them, rather than the 1.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 1:54pm
So who can wales get? The frizzel boys are an option!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 2:32pm

I think that’s a decent call…it subtly changes what we might think about the classification’ NWQ’.

I also agree, I expect to see a big focus on who might now be available to a country for RWC 2023, with players with a South Sea island Heritage (now overlooked by NZ, Australia etc) along with ‘ British’ players, likely to be the main player/country beneficiaries. The change means little to the likes Japan or Argentina right now though.

I’m not opposed to it in concept, but I do see players that don’t like a coach, or get dropped for whatever reason, take their kitbag to another country whilst still young ( should they qualify to play for them of course).
Say someone like Christ Tschiunza fell out with Wales, he could call a 3 year international hiatus and make himself available to England, whilst still only 22. Not sure that’s a good thing.

Be interesting to see how things play out for the Vunipola boys there ( Aus and Tonga qualified).

There'll be players who are time serving for the country of birth which will be very odd.

I've got 2 main concerns really.

Firstly wealthier nations being able to dangle the carrot to any 16 year olds that they can take a scholarship and qualify for any country by the time they're 21 and if they only pick up a few caps when they qualify could still go to another country by the time they're 25ish, still giving them potentially a decade with that country. It potentially damages the development of leagues in that country and might take away young talent from teams, it just makes it easier for the rich nations to tempt youngsters with less implications on their long term career.

Secondary we could have a situation where someone like Sam Warburton could captain Wales to win a WC and then 4 years later captain England to win a world cup, that just feels completely wrong and not really in the spirit on international sport.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

There'll be players who are time serving for the country of birth which will be very odd.

I've got 2 main concerns really.

Firstly wealthier nations being able to dangle the carrot to any 16 year olds that they can take a scholarship and qualify for any country by the time they're 21 and if they only pick up a few caps when they qualify could still go to another country by the time they're 25ish, still giving them potentially a decade with that country. It potentially damages the development of leagues in that country and might take away young talent from teams, it just makes it easier for the rich nations to tempt youngsters with less implications on their long term career.

Secondary we could have a situation where someone like Sam Warburton could captain Wales to win a WC and then 4 years later captain England to win a world cup, that just feels completely wrong and not really in the spirit on international sport.
nz oz and england already do it
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 2:40pm
Yep, but this makes it more tempting as players have got a new fall back plan.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 3:17pm
Hadleigh Parkes to start for NZ in 2023?
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 3:19pm
Does this also mean that Tonga, Samoa, Fiji might be able to pick 18-21 year olds and say “don’t worry you still could be an All Black/Wallaby in 5 years” 

Does that feel likely/unlikely? 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 3:33pm
Yeah that could easily happen (assuming you mean via the relative route rather than residency), not sure what the kiwi clubs stance is on non NZ qualified players though?

Edited by Gate12 - 25 November 2021 at 3:36pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 3:36pm
Does this mean Jake Ball can qualify for Australia in 1/2 years?
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 3:38pm
I think his parents and Welsh and English and he was born in England so wouldn't be able to play for Oz now (only would have previously on residency).

If he has an Australian grandparent then yes.

Edited by Gate12 - 25 November 2021 at 3:39pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 5:07pm
Folau already signalled that Tonga have approached him. I guess that’s another possible outcome, get sacked for misconduct, pop up with another international team.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic