Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Ospreys match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Biggar, Foxy, Tipuric, Jenkins, Beard and Faletau all probably ahead of Scott for captaincy in the Wales jersey.

Of those, Jenkins is miles off being fully fit and looks a shadow of the player he was prior to injury, Tipuric and Faletau are injured and have not played this season. Beard has no captaincy experience and is still trying to establish himself in the team. Which leaves Biggar and Foxy, only one of them has captaincy experience but he is not guaranteed a starting spot. 
Could we see a new name brought in solely for their captaincy experience, or maybe just give it to one of the handful of players who look odds on to start?
I would say Beard is pretty established. And Jenkins had a good Autumn series and wasn’t he captain, although i’d concede i’d rather Navidi in the squad if it was choice between the two (fitness providing). I think Biggar is the obvious choice. Captains experience- hes in the refs ear all game. We know our side will be voiced. He’s also deciding for himself to take kicks at goal/ to go to the corner.
Sponsored Links

Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 2:56pm
Isn't Beard competing against Keir Starmmer for least charismatic leader material in the UK?
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Biggar, Foxy, Tipuric, Jenkins, Beard and Faletau all probably ahead of Scott for captaincy in the Wales jersey.

Of those, Jenkins is miles off being fully fit and looks a shadow of the player he was prior to injury, Tipuric and Faletau are injured and have not played this season. Beard has no captaincy experience and is still trying to establish himself in the team. Which leaves Biggar and Foxy, only one of them has captaincy experience but he is not guaranteed a starting spot. 
Could we see a new name brought in solely for their captaincy experience, or maybe just give it to one of the handful of players who look odds on to start?

Thought Ellis looked pretty good in the Autumn to be honest. Foxy won't start unless he has a couple of blinders for us, same applies with Faletau for Bath, Tips apparently won't make the first game, neither will Ken. It is quite strange that no, welsh, ospreys or saints coach has seen Biggar as captaincy material. So that leaves Beard and Ellis and Ellis has plenty of captaincy experiance.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 3:30pm
Ellis Jenkins is a class player and should be Captain if fit. Back row of Jenkins, a fit Tuperic and Faletau is a very strong and a good match for anything in six nations. Add Navidi, Basham, Jac Morgan, Botham and Morgan then we looking ok.
Shame is none of the above play for us. 

Edited by Why - 05 January 2022 at 3:30pm
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Ellis Jenkins is a class player and should be Captain if fit. Back row of Jenkins, a fit Tuperic and Faletau is a very strong and a good match for anything in six nations. Add Navidi, Basham, Jac Morgan, Botham and Morgan then we looking ok.

Jenkins, Tips & Faletau is a decent back row if all fit but a match for Doris, van der Flier & Conan? Match for Lawes, Curry & Dombrandt? The English, Irish & French back rows have something we don't - relentless carriers taking them over the gainline. They also have plenty of carrying ability in the front 5 which we are again missing. 

I am hoping that my gloomy attitude towards this year's 6 nations is down to recent events. I live in hope. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I am hoping that my gloomy attitude towards this year's 6 nations is down to recent events. I live in hope. 

I haven’t been this pessimistic about Wales’ chances in a 6Nations since this time last year 

Some of the comments in the early stages of this thread are particularly enjoyable in hindsight! 

Edited by dyniol53 - 05 January 2022 at 5:40pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 6:45pm

And Moriarty, Wainwright and Young.
Scarlets before Wales
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 7:30pm
Not a fan of Moriaty and not sure about Young at international level but Wainwright very good 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Busy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 7:36pm

Not a fan of Moriaty and not sure about Young at international level but Wainwright very good 
I'm not a fan of anything Moriarty. Even their ancestors were bhastewards.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 8:35pm
Ross is a walking penalty. Better flankers in Wales without needing to risk him and a card.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 8:26pm

I certainly agree that Ellis Jenkins is a class player who reads the game exceptionally well, and if fully fit I would also agree he would be a front runner for a starting place for Wales.
However, in the games I have seen him play for Wales and Cardiff this season, he looks to have lost a lot of pace since his injury, which raises doubts about his ability to play 7. Also, he is not the dominant tackler or ball carrier which Wales need at 6 or 8. For me he is behind, Tipuric, Wainwright, Basham, Morgan, Faletau, Moriarty and Botham for a Wales jersey, but with Wales captaincy issues andinjury problems, I would not be completely surprised to see him start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic