Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vaea Fifita incoming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by BrummieScarlet BrummieScarlet wrote:

He's a number 6..... I'd rather have an actual 2nd row to be honest
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but this is the biggest signing in Welsh rugby since Marty Hollah or Jerry Collins (take your pick) at the Ospreys!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I see him as being a bit too light as well. But great addition. Now for a 6'8" 20st guy. I heard a rumour Will Rowlands to Cardiff. If we could nab him.
Will is a decent lock, no more.

Yes, we do need an out and out lock to replace Jake, but no point having another Wales squad member unless we develop from within. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I see him as being a bit too light as well. But great addition. Now for a 6'8" 20st guy. I heard a rumour Will Rowlands to Cardiff. If we could nab him.
Will is a decent lock, no more.

Yes, we do need an out and out lock to replace Jake, but no point having another Wales squad member unless we develop from within. 

We have two very talented young locks making their way in the game and a 5/6 in Salmon coming through. The addition of Fifita will give these lads time to develop. They are in good hands as the S&C coach fully understands what it takes to make an elite professional athlete. If they are willing to listen & work they will get there. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 1:29pm
Yep. One of Morgan or Jac needs to make it. Very few Welsh players become good enough for HC or test level locks though. 

In the meantime, Fifita is exactly the destructive, mobile carrier we need. We're building a Super Rugby game plan under Dwayne.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Tend to agree, ask Wasp fans, they are gutted he's leaving

I checked with all my fans. They think this is a fantastic signing Wink

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 1:47pm
Don't understand people criticising this signing. Fifita is class, watch his performances for wasps which he has played as a 2nd row.
What do people want? Etsebeth and De Jager?
Fifita is a physical specimen who is a ball carrier and does the work in the tight but also has speed and very good skill. 
This is an exceptional signing which our board have done, does help that the English league have to reduce their wage bills which have made him available. 
Sure a lot of French and other English teams would have been interested
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Don't understand people criticising this signing. Fifita is class, watch his performances for wasps which he has played as a 2nd row.
What do people want? Etsebeth and De Jager?
Fifita is a physical specimen who is a ball carrier and does the work in the tight but also has speed and very good skill. 
This is an exceptional signing which our board have done, does help that the English league have to reduce their wage bills which have made him available. 
Sure a lot of French and other English teams would have been interested

Second this 100% ClapClapClap Seeing him playing for Wasps, we're on to a winner. He certainly fits in perfectly to our style of play, and I can't wait to see him in our jersey! ClapClapClap
Scarlets!!!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 2:15pm

Yep. One of Morgan or Jac needs to make it. Very few Welsh players become good enough for HC or test level locks though. 

In the meantime, Fifita is exactly the destructive, mobile carrier we need. We're building a Super Rugby game plan under Dwayne.

This! ClapClapClapStarStarStar
Scarlets!!!
matt_george View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

[QUOTE=BrummieScarlet]He's a number 6..... I'd rather have an actual 2nd row to be honest

We have two very talented young locks making their way in the game and a 5/6 in Salmon coming through. The addition of Fifita will give these lads time to develop. They are in good hands as the S&C coach fully understands what it takes to make an elite professional athlete. If they are willing to listen & work they will get there. 

It has thrown me this season how little game time Morgan Jones, in particular, has been allowed. I thought he did enough in the second half of last season to show that he's got the minerals required to come through as a front-line lock for us over the next few years, to the point where I had him as an outside chance to make the Wales squad for the summer tests while the Lions were away. Odd that we're currently using Shingler as lock cover from the bench. Can only hope that both Jones and Jac Price are at least getting game time in the Welsh Premiership for one of the feeder clubs?
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Will Rowlands is the last thing we need. Fifita is a far better lock than he is.
Agreed, not to mention Rowlands would be Team Walesed.

I’m thrilled with Fifita, great work to the club to get him in.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 3:46pm
12 caps for new zealand, almost 2 meters tall. And posters are saying he’s a bit light. If he’s big enough for the all blacks he’s big enough for the Scarlets (even though we beat them Wink)
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

12 caps for new zealand, almost 2 meters tall. And posters are saying he’s a bit light. If he’s big enough for the all blacks he’s big enough for the Scarlets (even though we beat them Wink)

Indeed seems to me we have picked a 2nd row that can fit into the game plan we want to play to. Solid powerful, good hands out of the tackle and  an stand up international wingers and take them on the outside...he'll do for me

Edited by gnasher1975 - 10 January 2022 at 3:54pm
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Indeed seems to me we have picked a 2nd row that can fit into the game plan we want to play to. Solid powerful, good hands out of the tackle and  an stand up international wingers and take them on the outside...he'll do for me

Novel idea that LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
matt_george View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 4:05pm
Also being compared favourably to Tadgh Beirne in terms of being a ball-playing hybrid 5/6. If that's true, then we should all be very happy indeed!
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 4:29pm

Will Rowlands is the last thing we need. Fifita is a far better lock than he is.
If you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you believe we need Rowlands? Is it because he’ll be away with Wales too much, that he’s not good enough, that we already have enough locks, or that he doesn’t fit our game plan? Because from my POV we need another lock even though we’ve signed Fitifa, and I believe Rowlands would be a decent player who could add a bit of weight to our pack for tough, close games. 

Edited by Jones2004 - 10 January 2022 at 4:29pm
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2022 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you believe we need Rowlands? Is it because he’ll be away with Wales too much, that he’s not good enough, that we already have enough locks, or that he doesn’t fit our game plan? Because from my POV we need another lock even though we’ve signed Fitifa, and I believe Rowlands would be a decent player who could add a bit of weight to our pack for tough, close games. 
All the reasons you listed above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic