Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the 2022 6 Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

As a fan, I prefer it than the standard "Well we've spoken to the player who hasn't been selected & he knows what he needs to do"....
I hope he told Tommy Reffell that he has to sign for the Scarlets šŸ‘
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 4:40pm
I share the pessimism (for once)...

Too many key players injured... too few good young players coming through (let's be honest - it's much easier for Jones in England with the numbers they have)... and on top of that, some odd choices even from those available...

Winning more than three games will be a miracle - winning two would be OK with that squad. 

I'm no great fan of Sheedy, but Davies looks to have slipped back compared to a few years ago... still, Priestland is a strange recall. Same with Tompkins - are our young centres better? It's not at all sure, though maybe one or two deserved a shot. 

Biggest losses are AWJ for his leadership and general play, and Ken for the line-outs unless Elias can improve by 80%; biggest disappointment - the non-selection of Scott with other players in muck weaker form being preferred.

Other picks are probably not good enough (for sure) but are there because of the lack of challengers coming through.
ā€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.ā€ (Jonathan Swift)
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 5:17pm
Worst midfield options I can recall. I donā€™t get the hype with Halaholo. His defence is nonexistent, unless he goes for a high shot. Looked like a headless chicken against France in the slam match.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Too many key players injured... too few good young players coming through (let's be honest - it's much easier for Jones in England with the numbers they have)... and on top of that, some odd choices even from those available...

Winning more than three games will be a miracle - winning two would be OK with that squad. 

I'm no great fan of Sheedy, but Davies looks to have slipped back compared to a few years ago... still, Priestland is a strange recall. Same with Tompkins - are our young centres better? It's not at all sure, though maybe one or two deserved a shot. 

Biggest losses are AWJ for his leadership and general play, and Ken for the line-outs unless Elias can improve by 80%; biggest disappointment - the non-selection of Scott with other players in muck weaker form being preferred.

Other picks are probably not good enough (for sure) but are there because of the lack of challengers coming through.
We need to move on from AWJ now. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

My thoughts also, for has good as heā€™s been it feels like heā€™s dragging himself onto the World Cup when if heā€™s honest with himself itā€™s just that little bit too far away for him.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 7:04pm

Agreed. Great timing that Seb Davies has really started to pick up his performances and look like what we were promised.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 7:13pm
Davies and beard good line out options rowlands prob better in tight
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 11:56pm

Theres a lot of unknown quantities in this squad. The first choice front row is strong and class in the back 3 decent at lock and some good options in the back row despite injuries....The unknowns are mainly the reserves; Gareth Thomas, back up hookers are a concern Dewi Lake and Bradley Roberts, a man based in ireland who hardly ever seems to play, Leon Brown and Dillon Lewis still never proved themselves at test level 

Ben Carter may come through, they cant seem to decide if Seb Davies is a lock or a back rower, Will Rowlands looks test class, Christ Tshiunza has shown potential, Taine Basham looks a tasty prospect ,, Jac Morgan could come through, im surpised ellis jenkins isnt skipper, Ross Moriarty lets hope hes fit, James Ratti I know little of, how good is he? Aaron Wainwright Likely 8 quality versatile player

Backs its high time one of these scrum halves nailed the shIrt down, Im a tad perplexed by cawdor, in recent seasons hes been less prominent but I cant figure out why, he seems to possess all the assets needed. Priest I wouldnt have picked, why has he leapfrogged jarod evans? cuthbert has done nothing in recent times to earn a place ahead of  lane or holmes or others. Whats become of johnny williams btw? There is a case for scott williams in and foxy out. Otherwise it picks itself

starting side for the jocks;

15 liam 14 josh 13 tompkins 12 willis 11 lrz 10 biggar 9 cawdor

1 wyn jones, 2 elias, 3 francis, 4 beard, 5 rowlands, 6 basham , 7 jenkins, 8 wainwright

reps carre, lake, brown, seb davies , moriarty, tomos, sheedy, mcnichol

Mcnichol could have been developed at 13 in the absence of north, but pivac sees him as back 3 only. 

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:06am
I think we will see JMac at 15, including this weekend. Sanj is a little out of sorts at the moment.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:27am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Theres a lot of unknown quantities in this squad. The first choice front row is strong and class in the back 3 decent at lock and some good options in the back row despite injuries....The unknowns are mainly the reserves; Gareth Thomas, back up hookers are a concern Dewi Lake and Bradley Roberts, a man based in ireland who hardly ever seems to play, Leon Brown and Dillon Lewis still never proved themselves at test level 

Ben Carter may come through, they cant seem to decide if Seb Davies is a lock or a back rower, Will Rowlands looks test class, Christ Tshiunza has shown potential, Taine Basham looks a tasty prospect ,, Jac Morgan could come through, im surpised ellis jenkins isnt skipper, Ross Moriarty lets hope hes fit, James Ratti I know little of, how good is he? Aaron Wainwright Likely 8 quality versatile player

Backs its high time one of these scrum halves nailed the shIrt down, Im a tad perplexed by cawdor, in recent seasons hes been less prominent but I cant figure out why, he seems to possess all the assets needed. Priest I wouldnt have picked, why has he leapfrogged jarod evans? cuthbert has done nothing in recent times to earn a place ahead of  lane or holmes or others. Whats become of johnny williams btw? There is a case for scott williams in and foxy out. Otherwise it picks itself

1 wyn jones, 2 elias, 3 francis, 4 beard, 5 rowlands, 6 basham , 7 jenkins, 8 wainwright

Mcnichol could have been developed at 13 in the absence of north, but pivac sees him as back 3 only. 

Iā€™m not sure how you can say Gareth Thomas is an unknown. He destroyed the Racing scrum last weekend and has been consistently excellent for a while now. Thereā€™s a strong argument he should start in Dublin ahead of Wyn Jones. McNicholl at 13 would be a disaster IMO, heā€™s not the best defensively therefore why would you select him in the toughest position to defend on the field. Also Bradley Roberts is a regular with Ulster

Edited by scarletnut - 21 January 2022 at 8:28am
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:34am
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

My thoughts also, for has good as heā€™s been it feels like heā€™s dragging himself onto the World Cup when if heā€™s honest with himself itā€™s just that little bit too far away for him.

I think we'll HAVE to move on from AWJ now, whether or not he'd have been 'done' but for his injury... my feeling is that we'll miss his leadership as much or more than him as a player, though Biggar is a sensible choice IMO - he just needs to tone down his 'discussions' with the ref to be more effective there.
ā€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.ā€ (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:48am

Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

I think we'll HAVE to move on from AWJ now, whether or not he'd have been 'done' but for his injury... my feeling is that we'll miss his leadership as much or more than him as a player, though Biggar is a sensible choice IMO - he just needs to tone down his 'discussions' with the ref to be more effective there.

I don't know, I think he had a great discussion with the ref when we played England last season!! LOLLOLLOL
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:58am

Iā€™m not sure how you can say Gareth Thomas is an unknown. He destroyed the Racing scrum last weekend and has been consistently excellent for a while now. Thereā€™s a strong argument he should start in Dublin ahead of Wyn Jones. McNicholl at 13 would be a disaster IMO, heā€™s not the best defensively therefore why would you select him in the toughest position to defend on the field. Also Bradley Roberts is a regular with Ulster

I agree Steff. Gareth Thomas should start against Ireland - he is as good a scrummager as Wyn & a far better carrier in the loose. Keep Johnny away from 13. I struggle with the side named above to see where our lineout ball is coming from. They will have Ryan, Beirne, Doris & Conan so for me Ratti at 8 Seb at 6. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 12:53am
so what your selections for the irish now
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 1:01am

Iā€™d go for - McNicholl, Sanjay, Adams, Tompkins, LRZ; Biggar, Tomos W; Gareth Thomas, Elias, Francis, Beard, Seb, Ellis, Basham, Moriarty. Subs - Lake, Wyn, Brown, Rowlands, Wainwright, Cawdor, Priestland, Foxy
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 11:51am

Iā€™d go for - McNicholl, Sanjay, Adams, Tompkins, LRZ; Biggar, Tomos W; Gareth Thomas, Elias, Francis, Beard, Seb, Ellis, Basham, Moriarty. Subs - Lake, Wyn, Brown, Rowlands, Wainwright, Cawdor, Priestland, Foxy

You seem to have a great deal of faith that Sanjay can improve 200% on his performances for the Scarlets. Hope he does, if picked, but if so it will only prove where his main interest lies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic