Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the 2022 6 Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 4:22pm
Biggar as Captain in-front of Ellis Jenkins makes selection of Anscombe pointless.
Beard vice Captain surely not on Autumn form.
Cawdor and Hardy aren’t the best 9 at the Scarlets 
Foxy nowhere near international form. 
Pleased for Jac hope he starts with Ellis and Wainwright in back row.
Carre and Lewis they keep getting hammered why are they in squad. Even Nicky Smith who is not my favourite player must be gutted. 
Win three games we have had great season two would be ok.

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Not sure what to make of that lot. It really is an average squad and we are missing some top players and some top leaders. If we win 3 games i’ll be pleasantly surprised

Generally with injuries to North, Navidi & Faletau he has probably gone safe with his selections. I don't really think AWJ or Ken would add much to the squad. Scrum time is going to be interesting especially if Wyn or Gareth Thomas get a knock. The thought of Carre & Lewis/Brown taking on Porter, Furlong & Healy is a frightening prospect. 

RR if we win 3 I'd be over the moon. Max 2 for me with Scotland being a huge game after possibly a very humbling experience in Dublin. Pivac going on about missing 8/9 players with 680 caps is a bit of a fudge - sooner rather than later quite a few of those guys/caps are not going to be first choice. In fact it could be argued that only the 3 above would be first choice. 

Undoubtedly on form Scott should be in the squad, we have Foxy & Rhys who respectfully would not make any other squads apart from maybe Italy. Compare Pivac's attitude with Eddie Jones who continues to not select the Vunipolas or Ford because despite their numbers of caps he feels he has better, younger players to develop towards 2023. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Biggar as Captain in-front of Ellis Jenkins makes selection of Anscombe pointless.
Carre and Lewis they keep getting hammered why are they in squad. Even Nicky Smith who is not my favourite player must be gutted. 
The selection of Anscombe is surely down to both Biggar and Sheedy playing in England and Pivac not wanting Priestland to be the only one fly half in training for half the training camp. Because of that I’m happy that he’s selected Anscombe not Patchell as Patchell can now focus on getting form in our games.  
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

My thoughts on the team is that it’s heavy on guys that have 20 -30 caps, but, with respect, are no nearer to being a starter.
Dillon Lewis, Carre, Watkin, Brown, Seb Davies, Hardy, one or two others.

The opportunity to bring in a few younger guys was taken up to a point with Lake and Jac Morgan’s inclusion, but will they make the 23?

Huge respect for Rhys and Cuthy, but like Scott, they’ve had their time, there are guys ready and waiting to step up.

It’s a uninspired selection.

Much hinges on the Scotland match.
Don't think I agree with that at all, there is very much still a place for Scott in the side. Foxy on the other hand I think has had his time and I'm very surprised to see him selected.

I am meh. Towards rugby in general at the moment to be honest, hopefully the 6N will brighten things up again but I don't fancy our chances.
I could agree with not selecting Scott if there were two or three brilliant young centres coming through that needed game time / experience of an international training camp. But there simply aren’t - evidenced by the other centres that have been picked. Why Pivac picked Foxy who’s been out of form all season ahead of Scott who’s been in form all season I will never understand (unless Foxy plays a blinder in the opening game!)
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:30pm

Over and over and over he picks Carre. Over and over he hooks him off early because he can't do the basics. Is Pivac some kind of sadist?  Agree really feel for Nicky Smith.
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 7:07pm
That's a decent team. Although not sure on the selection of 4 outside half's. Going to be an exciting tournament. 
And We Were Singing...
Coch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Cofi Cofi wrote:

Over and over and over he picks Carre. Over and over he hooks him off early because he can't do the basics. Is Pivac some kind of sadist?  Agree really feel for Nicky Smith.
Remember that time he had to hook him off before half time!! Can't remember the actual game... What was worse it was the opposite side of the field and poor Carre had to trudge humiliated all the way across the the field with both packs ready to scrum down waiting for the replacement prop who could scrummage.  
Indeed Nicky Smith must be gutted
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 5:41am

My thoughts on the team is that it’s heavy on guys that have 20 -30 caps, but, with respect, are no nearer to being a starter.

The opportunity to bring in a few younger guys was taken up to a point with Lake and Jac Morgan’s inclusion, but will they make the 23?

Huge respect for Rhys and Cuthy, but like Scott, they’ve had their time, there are guys ready and waiting to step up.

Don't think I agree with that at all, there is very much still a place for Scott in the side. Foxy on the other hand I think has had his time and I'm very surprised to see him selected.

I am meh. Towards rugby in general at the moment to be honest, hopefully the 6N will brighten things up again but I don't fancy our chances.

I appreciate the sentiment, but he is fit, in form, and been over-looked. Regardless of my relationship that's as clear an indication as you can get. Totally reconciled with it.

As for the team, we should be able to put our centers (or any position for that matter really) on a prospective team sheet with a 70% or so chance we'd get the combo right.
Not only do I not have a clue who the starting centers might be, I can't even say who is in line for either the 12 or 13 shirts.

Easy to forget Ben Thomas was in the AI squad but now off the radar as he doesn't start for Cardiff, and tbh he has a limited passing skill set.
Michael Collins was brought to Wales (with Pivac's endorsement), but has now lost his place at the Ospreys. Tompkins starts every other game for the Sarries ( will join the camp late and will need to be in every 23 or he gets released back to Sarries)
Halaholo has all the skills, but does tend to drift off in games. The Quins game should have been made for him, but he was a little anonymous and easily out shone by Lee-Lo.
Foxy is not skipper for these games as he isn't assured of a place I guess. Watkin is by far the best defender in the group, but, what 6 tries in his whole pro career, suggests his attacking game is not aligned to his defence.

Aneurin Own looks a really fine prospect to me, I'd like to see the guy at the next level. Keiron Williams also deserves a chance at least.

So all in all a bit unclear for me, and I do think a few guys are stretching their career with the next RWC in mind, that rarely ends well in my experience.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:23am
For me, im not a big fan of the 6N and team wsles. I lost that drive many yearscago. Its nice when we win but it doesnt really bother me. Im a scarlet fan. End of. So when pivac makes a mockery of the selection process by picking out of form players such as foxy, cuthbert, or bit part players for their clubs such as priestland and hardy or even poor club players such carre and lewis, i for one cant wait forbthe poo to hit the fan. Its a shocking squad with many undeserved players being chosen.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

For me, im not a big fan of the 6N and team wsles. I lost that drive many yearscago. Its nice when we win but it doesnt really bother me. Im a scarlet fan. End of. So when pivac makes a mockery of the selection process by picking out of form players such as foxy, cuthbert, or bit part players for their clubs such as priestland and hardy or even poor club players such carre and lewis, i for one cant wait forbthe poo to hit the fan. Its a shocking squad with many undeserved players being chosen.
Couldn't agree more.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:33am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

How does Pivac justify the selection of Priestland and Cuthbert? Lane is on fire atm and can play 14/13, he also keeps ignoring Holmes. You have Lloyd at Bristol who is also in fine form and he picks 35 year old Priestland. Definitely Scott over Foxy who should be nowhere near the squad. I’m glad he’s picked Ratti at 8 because he’s playing really well and this will tell us if he can make the step up from club to International. WGJ of Lewis who can’t scrummage. Looks a pretty weak squad overall and has been picked with one eye on the World Cup.
good points, saved me the trouble typing lol
Lloyd isn't a 10

If Lloyd isn't a 10 then perhaps you could explain to me why Pat Lam last year suggested that he might well be Wales' starting 10 at France 2023. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:57am

I appreciate the sentiment, but he is fit, in form, and been over-looked. Regardless of my relationship that's as clear an indication as you can get. Totally reconciled with it.

As for the team, we should be able to put our centers (or any position for that matter really) on a prospective team sheet with a 70% or so chance we'd get the combo right.
Not only do I not have a clue who the starting centers might be, I can't even say who is in line for either the 12 or 13 shirts.

Easy to forget Ben Thomas was in the AI squad but now off the radar as he doesn't start for Cardiff, and tbh he has a limited passing skill set.
Michael Collins was brought to Wales (with Pivac's endorsement), but has now lost his place at the Ospreys. Tompkins starts every other game for the Sarries ( will join the camp late and will need to be in every 23 or he gets released back to Sarries)
Halaholo has all the skills, but does tend to drift off in games. The Quins game should have been made for him, but he was a little anonymous and easily out shone by Lee-Lo.
Foxy is not skipper for these games as he isn't assured of a place I guess. Watkin is by far the best defender in the group, but, what 6 tries in his whole pro career, suggests his attacking game is not aligned to his defence.

Aneurin Own looks a really fine prospect to me, I'd like to see the guy at the next level. Keiron Williams also deserves a chance at least.

So all in all a bit unclear for me, and I do think a few guys are stretching their career with the next RWC in mind, that rarely ends well in my experience.

Thats a pretty fair & reasonable assessment of just two positions - that case could be made for a number of others like 9/10, 1 & 3. I fail, on a degree of evidence to date, to see what Sheedy & Tompkins bring to the party. As you rightly point out they will see limited time to prepare for the first game and will be off back to their clubs if not in the 23. Now I fully understand that there will be some player/s who warrant that faith because they are guaranteed starters like LRZ but those two? 

Also the point about stretching careers because of the World cup is very valid. Pivac is going on about 680 caps of experience missing but they include players like AWJ, Ken, Lydiate & Halfpenny who, in all honesty, would/should not be in the starting 23 for Wales 18 months out from France 2023. Compare that with Eddie Jones' attitude. He is looking to build his team of 500 caps into 750 by the next World Cup. 6 non capped lads joining Freddie Steward, Marcus Smith, Bevan Rodd & Raffi Quirke who have recently made their debuts. 

The WRU should, but won't, be looking at this squad make up along with Pivac getting his excuses in pre tournament mentioning his huge non availability of talent most of which are 33+ and realising that the game is almost up. The sensible thing to do would be to accept that 2023 is gone & get all the head coaches & chairmen of the regions along with the coaching staff of team Wales around a table for a series of meetings to discuss & thrash out a blueprint of the way forward. These meeting to be chaired by two heavyweight individuals - one from business Amanda Blanc, the other from rugby Sir Ian McGeechan. These two are just my top of the head suggestions I am sure fellow posters could come up with very worthy alternatives. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 8:32am
Worryingly is that other regions have youngsters either in the Welsh set up or certainly being mentioned for honours we don’t have any. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 8:47am

Worryingly is that other regions have youngsters either in the Welsh set up or certainly being mentioned for honours we don’t have any. 

That doesn't bother me so much, leave our youngsters come through & get good game time under their belts.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 8:47am

I hear what you are saying Why but these things tend to go in phases. We certainly have some young players who whilst not being mentioned at the moment are a run of games away from a mention - players like Rogers, Baldwin, Costelow, Blacker, O'Connor, Morgan Jones, Jac Price, McLoud ( still only 23) & Carwyn. All 9 have the potential to play for Wales at the 2027 World Cup. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

That doesn't bother me so much, leave our youngsters come through & get good game time under their belts.
I really would love that to be true and the youngsters will get game time I’m worried that they being held back by players who are being picked on reputation alone. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic