Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team against France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I just think Pivac is out of his depth in International rugby, other than one trophy with the Scarlets what has he won? The whole coaching staff seem like they don’t know what’s going on. 

Seb Davies isn’t this Hybrid second/back row player Pivac thinks he is. Beirne/Lawes are Seb is nowhere near their level. Other than a lineout threat that’s all he brings. Poor selection by Pivac.

I’d bite the bullet and sack him after the 6 nations and give Scott Robertson a blank check and tell him to name his price. At least you’re getting a serial winner at club level who is going places both domestic and international level.

He has won a 6Nations title and that’s given him license this year to experiment. 

How do you know that about Seb Davies? He’s not the same player as Lawes/Itoje but I don’t think Pivac will ask him to play like that? Beirne is unique, not convinced Pivac is trying to make Davies a Beirne either. 

I think it’s worth remembering that France, England and Ireland SHOULD always be better than Wales purely on a resources basis. If we come 4th it’s par for the course, not a howling season. 

License to experiment? We have gone backwards at a rate of knots since last year. The six nations win last year we were very fortunate but a nevertheless the players came from behind in those games to win.

We’ve gone backwards at the rate I’d expect if we lost 4/5 Lions through injury. In the sense that Ken Owens, Alun Wyn Jones, Justin Tipuric, George North and Faletau are not available. 

Key areas were struggling are lineout, breakdown and carrying - especially in the centres. I see all 4 of them improving those areas considerably.

Ken - 35, AWJ - 36, Tipuric - 33 this year, George - 30 this year.
We can’t pin our national game on players who are and the very end of their careers. Other than North who could potentially be around for the 2027 World Cup. Pivac is picking players to try and win the next game because he’s on borrowed time. Picking Foxy at 12 over Scott Williams and Halaholo is crazy. Our breakdown is non existent, we have no ball carriers who fight the tackle other than Faletau, Elias and Lake. Our lineout is hit and miss at best.
He’s brought in Thomas as a ball carrier, fair enough but where is Leon Brown who’s another good carrier? He’s picked Lewis for his breakdown work but he’s not going to get that many chances when you have Willemse and Woki wiping him out. Where is the second row cover? Seb is going to get a tough time at 6 and then expect him to go in the row. Why isn’t Ratti being given a chance? He’s a lump and since he’s moved to 8 he’s become a much better player. Bring him on in the last 20 minutes against a tired French pack instead of Moriarty who just puts his head down. We need to develop depth and we aren’t doing it when players aren’t being given a chance to step up. I would rather blood someone like Ioan Lloyd at 15 than keep picking Liam Williams who’s a liability and keeps getting unnecessary cards.

You make many very valid points. I too would have blooded Ratti who looks like the kind of hard carrying forward we are so short of. Why not try him alongside Faletau at 6? I certainly would have selected Ioan Lloyd for this squad and given him some time at 10/12. Of course Scott is the best 12 in Wales at the moment by a country mile & by his own admission he is not back to his very best so it doesn't say a lot for Pivac's selection process. Gareth Thomas, Leon Brown, Seb Davies & Ratti have the physicality & carrying power needed to play at this level but how many caps have they had since Pivac took over.? If they have question marks over Brown's scrummaging why have they not employed a top coach like Adam Jones to improve him?  

It just seems like we are sleep walking ( apologies of I have stolen that expression) into rugby oblivion at the moment. Dyniol suggests that maybe we should be satisfied with 4th based on playing resources - when have the Wales of Gareth Edwards, Barry John, Bennett, Dawes, JPR, Gerald, JJ, Mervyn, Pontypool front row et al ever been satisfied with anything other than winning.

I fully agree with everything you say, especially that part about not settling for 4th. We are a proud nation and I’m sure every man on that pitch tomorrow will stand and be ready for battle and certainly not settle for 4th.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I love the long term generosity of spirit shown to our national coach 🤨and from Scarlets supporters 😉 I applaud the Seb attempt and hope it’s successful.I don’t know what will happen. We must develop a range of options in the squad and he’s trying to do it, just like the ‘he’s having a laugh’ style  criticism of North being played at centre a year or so back. 

We have a small playing base and must show innovation. Let’s constructively critique post game. 

Generosity of spirit reesy - this is International professional rugby not Greast British Menu. You may recall that some posters were not very happy about the final year of Pivac & Stevo when he left the Scarlets. Nothing that has happened since suggests to me that Pivac is not out of his depth. As has already been pointed out the idea of playing North at 13 was hardly ground breaking innovation ffs Gatland had already been talking about it for years. 

What would have been innovative would have been to identify that Foxy could not go on forever & start planning accordingly instead of being forced to try something because the talent is not there. With a small playing base you should at the very least select players on form. Of course I wish the team well but I do not hold out much hope. 
Your a blinking hard man to please GPR ! 😉 let’s see how it unfolds as we all expect a French win. ( did you mean great Greasy British menu ? 😂 it’s my sort of breakfast anyway! )

You are right there reesy - her indoors has been telling that for years.Wink Yes we'll have  achat on Saturday post game as long as both of us promise not to gloat. Confused
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 5:45pm
All those on social media currently [beep]ging him off will no doubt be creaming their pants if we win tomorrow. Such is the way of welsh rugby. 

Edited by SA14 - 10 March 2022 at 5:46pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 10:19pm
Wales under poor again just not big fit ot skillful enough
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 6:33am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

they did a good first half in my view, specially line out patterns...
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 7:29am

The 20's conditioning looks pretty average. i would have thought the first priority for budding professional athletes would be to get fit. There aren't many excuses in today's environment. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 8:22am

Not surprising really when they don't have much game time with regions/clubs.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 2:18pm

The 20's conditioning looks pretty average. i would have thought the first priority for budding professional athletes would be to get fit. There aren't many excuses in today's environment. 
The problem is most of them play in the semi pro Welsh Premiership whereas majority of French side played Top14 and ProD2 rugby.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The problem is most of them play in the semi pro Welsh Premiership whereas majority of French side played Top14 and ProD2 rugby.
ireland thrashed  us and beat france, their youngsters don’t play in the french pro leauge

Edited by RR1972 - 11 March 2022 at 2:32pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 2:38pm

I fully agree with everything you say, especially that part about not settling for 4th. We are a proud nation and I’m sure every man on that pitch tomorrow will stand and be ready for battle and certainly not settle for 4th.

Gatland-era (*Howley)
2008 - 1st
2009 - 4th
2010 - 4th
2011 - 4th
2012 - 1st
2013 - 1st*
2014 - 3rd
2015 - 3rd
2016 - 2nd
2017 - 5th*
2018 - 2nd
2019 - 1st

2020 - 5th
2021 - 1st
2022 - ??

Pivac out!!

No one is saying we should be happy with 4th. Just that at this level it is not uncommon for a good coach to end up finishing 4th because other teams are better.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 3:20pm

Gatland-era (*Howley)
2008 - 1st
2009 - 4th
2010 - 4th
2011 - 4th
2012 - 1st
2013 - 1st*
2014 - 3rd
2015 - 3rd
2016 - 2nd
2017 - 5th*
2018 - 2nd
2019 - 1st

2020 - 5th
2021 - 1st
2022 - ??

Pivac out!!

No one is saying we should be happy with 4th. Just that at this level it is not uncommon for a good coach to end up finishing 4th because other teams are better.

To add to that. Here are the standings prior to Gatland. 

2000- 4th
2001 - 4th
2002 - 5th
2003 - 6th 0 points lol
2004 - 4th
2005 - 1st
2006 - 5th
2007 - 5th

So we have an 8 year period there where we really were pretty poor. Yet people still think we have a god given right to just always be competing for a grand slam/title. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 4:06pm
Don't think anyone has suggested some god given right - all we are suggesting is that we employ a top, professional coaching team & be the best we can be. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 4:59pm

Don't think anyone has suggested some god given right - all we are suggesting is that we employ a top, professional coaching team & be the best we can be. 
But if the best they can be is 4th due to the quality of players, then no need to moan is there.

Rather than when we are clearly doing alright, nothing great, nothing awful, but people are calling for the coaches head and think a new coach will result in world domination. 

Edited by Sosban89 - 11 March 2022 at 5:03pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

But if the best they can be is 4th due to the quality of players, then no need to moan is there.

Rather than when we are clearly doing alright, nothing great, nothing awful, but people are calling for the coaches head and think a new coach will result in world domination. 
there is when we hear our coach bemoaning his own players to the media or doing daft things like playing wings in the centre etc. A new coach won’t see world domination but it will see an improvement on pivac

Edited by RR1972 - 11 March 2022 at 5:14pm
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 8:37pm
We look very Wales like at the moment. Don't look like we are getting anywhere with the ball. A lot of one up runners with no support leading to easy to turnovers. 
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2022 at 9:48pm
12, 13 for Wales should be nowhere near this Welsh squad. It’s absolutely embarrassing how bad this Welsh backline is. We keep going backwards then we kick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic