Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales team v Italy
    Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:39pm
Wales team to face Italy (Saturday 19 March, KO 2.15pm. Live on BBC and S4C)
15. Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets – 9 caps)
14. Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 15 caps)
13. Owen Watkin (Ospreys – 30 caps)
12. Uilisi Halaholo (Cardiff Rugby – 9 caps)
11. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 38 caps)
10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints – 99 caps), captain
9. Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 66 caps);
1. Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 9 caps)
2. Dewi Lake (Ospreys – 4 caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby – 37 caps)
4. Adam Beard (Ospreys – 33 caps), vice-captain
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys – 149 caps)
6. Seb Davies (Cardiff Rugby – 16 caps)
7. Josh Navidi (Cardiff Rugby – 29 caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby – 88 caps)

Replacements
16. Bradley Roberts (Ulster Rugby – 1 cap)
17. Wyn Jones (Scarlets – 42 caps)
18. Leon Brown (Dragons – 21 caps)
19. Will Rowlands (Dragons – 17 caps)
20. Ross Moriarty (Dragons – 53 caps)
21. Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 10 caps)
22. Callum Sheedy (Bristol Bears – 15 caps)
23. Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 19 caps)

Surprise that it's out so early, and that AWJ is straight into the starting line-up for his 150th Welsh cap - guess WRU need to give supporters another reason to buy tickets...

Foxy & Ryan dropped/rested, both our 9s in the XXIII, Johnny Mac gets a chance at full-back.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:55pm
Pivac selections really are random
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:55pm
AWJ. Here you go mate I’ll start you so you can have your 150th cap. Forget about blooding youngsters. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:57pm
why play alun wyn? should have given young carter a go. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:58pm
So Cawdor goes from 3rd choice to 2nd choice & Hardy the reverse...
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 3:18pm
I really don’t get what Pivac is trying to do with the squad because he’s clearly not trying to blood youngsters.
Why pick AWJ over Rowlands? He should of had Ben Carter on the bench for game time. Where is Ratt? We know what Faletau can do why not bring him of the bench to replace Ratti.
I really don’t rate Pivac, he’s selecting his teams to win the next game that’s it.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

I really don’t get what Pivac is trying to do with the squad because he’s clearly not trying to blood youngsters.
Why pick AWJ over Rowlands? He should of had Ben Carter on the bench for game time. Where is Ratt? We know what Faletau can do why not bring him of the bench to replace Ratti.
I really don’t rate Pivac, he’s selecting his teams to win the next game that’s it.

I don't think there's any coherent plan at all. This selection is baffling in the extreme. 

JD, Elias, Liam. Anscombe, Cuthbert, Jac Morgan, Francis all jettisoned completely from the squad - I'm not sure this team is guaranteed to beat Italy. 

Let's face it, this is what happens when chancers are left to run the show.
What's going on?
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

I don't think there's any coherent plan at all. This selection is baffling in the extreme. 

JD, Elias, Liam. Anscombe, Cuthbert, Jac Morgan, Francis all jettisoned completely from the squad - I'm not sure this team is guaranteed to beat Italy. 

Fully agree with you, we’re a year away from the World Cup and Pivac doesn’t know his best team. And he’s not bringing the next generation through either. Just picking on reputation.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 5:11pm
Unless AWJ is planning to retire and this is his swan-song for Wales I don’t understand the point of picking him. Surely better to blood his successors and allow them time to develop. Otherwise I don’t really have much problem with the team. It was always going to be a mish-mash of a team. Change too many players and the team loses all continuity and flow (as we’ve seen happening to Gatland plenty of times), and change too little and you don’t blood any new players. Bringing back AWJ means you lose the continuity and flow, without testing any new players. As I said, what is the point of that if this isn’t him being given his 150th and final cap?
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 10:14pm
I think I've cracked it. After a long and studious investigation into player selection I do believe that I've found a pattern.
The Pivac selection model= 
spin the bottle! ( Red wine obvs)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Italy are dreadful. This side should win by at least 20
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 10:57pm
Pivacs record vs england france and ireland played 12 won 2 lost ten. In one of those wins we played vs 14 men for over an hour
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 7:33am
Its not the individuals per se but the seeming lack of thought process behind certain selections. Tomos is clearly not fit having such a bad knock last game, Hardy has done ok in his two sub games yet Cawdor leapfrogs him to start. What does that say to Hardy? I am a Cawdor fan and he would be my starting 9 but where is the logic.

AWJ is a total nonsense. Pivac seems to fawn over him & his magical powers. This is no fault of Alun Wyns by the way but the guy just seems star struck. The pure facts are he has not played one minute of rugby since October yet is deemed ready for an International whereas a young, supposedly promising AWJ successor ( Pivac's words) gets to carry tackle bags for 6 weeks and sees no action - where is the long term planning.

Why is Leon Brown not starting when his carrying would certainly add to our options. Why hasn't Ratti been used off the bench - where is the long term planning. I have to say if I was lucky enough to be one of those squad players mentioned I wouldn't feel part of the effort in all honesty. I can't help feeling that team morale, that 16th man on the field when the going gets tough, is being eroded under Pivac. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 7:44am
does Pivac risk a bit?
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 8:20am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Replacements

Surprise that it's out so early, and that AWJ is straight into the starting line-up for his 150th Welsh cap - guess WRU need to give supporters another reason to buy tickets...

Foxy & Ryan dropped/rested, both our 9s in the XXIII, Johnny Mac gets a chance at full-back.

Hes missed  few tricks here, bron over lewis at pop, jac morgan could have been involved, awj over carter pointless, ratti why not try him too, not sure why botham wasnt in the squad, was owen lane worth a go? 1 other guy forgotten about is jonah holmes...dropping lrz was bizarre....Im actually glad cawdor starts but why hasnt he had a minute on the field all season? 70 career ties tells you what a dangerman he is..why no lloyd in the centre?..hes not really tried anyone at fly half either?

pivac finishes the 6 nations with everyone more confused than ever about where we are , usually we at least feel in a losing 6 nations season weve gained new stars and depth....We havent even found that , its a mess
sir duckling tuft
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Replacements

Hes missed  few tricks here, bron over lewis at pop, jac morgan could have been involved, awj over carter pointless, ratti why not try him too, not sure why botham wasnt in the squad, was owen lane worth a go? 1 other guy forgotten about is jonah holmes...dropping lrz was bizarre....Im actually glad cawdor starts but why hasnt he had a minute on the field all season? 70 career ties tells you what a dangerman he is..why no lloyd in the centre?..hes not really tried anyone at fly half either?

pivac finishes the 6 nations with everyone more confused than ever about where we are , usually we at least feel in a losing 6 nations season weve gained new stars and depth....We havent even found that , its a mess

Yes I was beginning to think it was only RR1972 & I who were feeling a little dismayed. We are short of effective carrying forwards so, just as Gareth Thomas' inclusion was justified so should Brown. What was the point in selecting Ratti? Start him against Italy put Faletau on the bench - what have you got to lose? Where is our biggest struggle in the backs - 10,12 & 13. Why haven't we got one of the most exciting young talents in the UK - Ioan Lloyd in the squad who could be given a game against Italy at 12 & possibly move him to 10 2nd half when, hopefully,  the game would be won?

It is becoming clearer by the day that Pivac is going to rely on dad's army at 2023. Players who are running on fumes will be in the 31 squad - AWJ, Ken, Tipuric, Foxy, Halfpenny, Biggar - others who will be getting close to the end of their careers - Faletau, McNichol, Liam will also feature. Whoever takes over post 2023 World Cup will have a major rebuilding project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic