Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Very disappointing, and well done Italy - they deserved that.

For a start, and as many pointed out - it was an odd selection.

Why was AWJ brought back - sentiment? Rowlands has been playing well. Why Roberts on the bench and Elias nowhere? Ryan has been first choice all season. Why no Francis - unless he was unfit? Halaholo looked out of his depth - Tompkins was better when he came on. Jonny Mac was hardly an upgrade on Liam... and so on.

So - coaches to blame for poor selection, but players also to blame for lack of energy - looked like everyone thought all they had to do to win was turn up, but test rugby isn't like that. 

I thought Wyn had scored his try, and if the ref had given it it would have stood...we would also have won if we'd kicked just one of those first half penalties instead of going for 5m lineouts... so we could have won it anyway with better decision making.

Would we have deserved to win it though? No.

i cant figure out how the ref couldnt have made that decision himself, as always the endless camera angles prove nothing, but the ref was within 2 feet of wyn jones.

sir duckling tuft
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:33pm
I said It was a risky selection with many players from regional side and watching Urc table, Benetton Is higher then them..Happy for Italy, worried for nu beloved welsh rugby 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Openside75 Openside75 wrote:

A young, lightweight FB. Can't help think of Tom Rodgers. Has to be called up for the Autumn. 

A nice run but I think you have to look at the tackling there. How pathetic was Josh Adams attempt ? And then the winger/fullback (I can't remember who) shows him the outside when he had inside cover. Awful stuff. 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:55pm
Well done Italy. Thoroughly deserved. Just shows how poor and ageing this welsh team is. Two players in the starting 15 under 24. No interest in developing youngsters.

The front row were shocking. Lewis did nothing and got destriyed in the scrum, lake took his try well but nothing else. Thomas carried ok.

Beard shocking. No other word. awj there on merit.

Backrow too slow. Bzvidi had a couple of turnovers but they offered little

Cawdor did ok. Biggar kicked everything or ststionary taking the pass. Poor poor poor

Centres wouldnt get in Pantyffynnon's 15 on that performance

Wingers were ok. Little opportunity to run

Mcnichol is a better wonger because he doesnt pass. He isnt a "team" player because he diesnt see the bigger picture around him

Pivac is showi g his true cours now - cluekess, tacticly shocking and stuborn. That team was there on reputation and not form. Time for the WRU to spend big and get the right man forbthe job.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:05pm
Coaching staff must take the blame for treating the game as an Alun Wyn testimonial. Confusing selection and obviously confused game plan.
Rowlands should have started, Wyn Jones was sorely missed at the breakdown. Why wasn't Elias on the bench?
I dread to think what the scoreline will be in South Africa with Pivac in charge...
However really really happy for Italy!
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Well done Italy. Thoroughly deserved. Just shows how poor and ageing this welsh team is. Two players in the starting 15 under 24. No interest in developing youngsters.

The front row were shocking. Lewis did nothing and got destriyed in the scrum, lake took his try well but nothing else. Thomas carried ok.

Beard shocking. No other word. awj there on merit.

Backrow too slow. Bzvidi had a couple of turnovers but they offered little

Cawdor did ok. Biggar kicked everything or ststionary taking the pass. Poor poor poor

Centres wouldnt get in Pantyffynnon's 15 on that performance

Wingers were ok. Little opportunity to run

Mcnichol is a better wonger because he doesnt pass. He isnt a "team" player because he diesnt see the bigger picture around him

Pivac is showi g his true cours now - cluekess, tacticly shocking and stuborn. That team was there on reputation and not form. Time for the WRU to spend big and get the right man forbthe job.

I thought Lake had a good game and was one of our best forwards. The other front rowers were terrible.

AWJ is finished and should never have been in that team today, same can be said for Seb Davies I said this weeks ago that he’s not a 6.

I could boil an egg quicker than the time it takes Cawdor to pass the ball, the defence always has time to reset because he’s too slow getting the ball away.

Centres we’re poor until Tomkins came on.

Back 3 offered very little and I don’t know how Adams got man of the match because other than the tackle and try he offered little more other than mouthing to the ref and giving away pens. Johnny was really poor today.

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:19pm
GPR got his “wish”.

Await rolling WRU heads - committee and management etc., separate from those in charge of the playing squad.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:33pm
Pivac has rotated and rotated his players and today that came back to bite.

Welsh attack doesn’t really function against any defence that doesn’t commit needless offences. 

I remain confident that if Ken, Tipuric, North came back we’d be a much better team but Pivac’s endless rotation to ‘build depth for 2023’ has cost him and Wales dearly.

As others have pointed out, it’s hard to work out what they’re trying to do but that’s because there’s 0 continuity in selection. Players look confused.

Also, very very reliant on Dan Biggar who isn’t a running threat. Italy just stood off him and that meant they could line up whoever he was passing to. 

Lots to work on. Pivac out? Maybe. 

Scott Robertson and Wisemantle could be a great combination but I doubt either would want the job.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:39pm
Rotation ok but he also put himself in corner making Beard vice Captain he has been easily our most ineffective forward. Is the total opposite of a modern international second row is an embarrassment just falls over like a drunk bambi whilst Rowlands was our best carrier all season. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:56pm
There is a far deeper rooted problem that pivan and stephen jones, but they too must carry the can
The lack o quality coming through the academies and regions is staggering. Its totally dried up. Clearly there are serious problems within our structure that is not allowing the right talent get the right opportunities. Frankly its being run like the civil service, incompetient, over burocratic, buck passing fiasco

Pivac has often made bizarre selections, the centres have been a mess all season, the back row is it 8 players in 5 matches, different combos every game? faletau basham morgan navidi moriarty davies wainwright jenkins etc Then halfback he brings in priestland and anscombe ahead fo jarod evans and sheedy, none of that makes sense. Priest is 35 and anscombe hasnt played for 2 years. Evans is clearly the form 10

Hes not given thomas a real go at prop and beard somehow kept his place over rowlands today. The AWJ selection made no sense other than to sell match tickets, the man hasnt played a minut of rugby in approx 6 months?  Navidi too hasnt proved his fitness hes barley played at all either. We also have props that dont carry and our scrum halves dont snipe anymore and a brave fly half , but a man who doesnt get his backs going. The players standing still, where is the desire from the threequarters to run from depth off the ball the way the irish full back did last week?

for me sadly stephen jones has not proved himself either, the backs are awful. 

Its a tough call, do you let them run another 18 months or scour the world for the best replacements?
sir duckling tuft
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 6:33pm
Throughout the tournament I’ve said that the WRU won’t want to make any coaching changes before the RWC. However the argument coming from many now will be that we might as well take the gamble - we’ve lost all bar one of our 6N matches, including our HOME match against Italy. The incoming coach couldn’t do much worse, right? Of course, changing the coaches won’t address the fundamental and deep-rooted issues plaguing Welsh rugby.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 6:38pm
Poor performance, a lack of urgency until approximately the 70th minute.
The forwards were poor today (on the whole), the S/Rs non existent and lightweight, AWJ needs to be released from the squad now and they need to give Rowlands and the other Dragons S/R (Carter) a run of games I the build up to next years World Cup.  Gareth Thomas offered nothing in the scrum or in the loose, Seb Davies at 6 doesn’t work either.  Faletau was everywhere again and Navidi will get better with more game time.  Moriarty was far more effective than Seb Davies and I’m sure that Jac Morgan would have enjoyed himself at the breakdown as the Italians never committed many players in the contact area.
Centre’s were really flat all afternoon and lacked any real pace to trouble the Italians.  McNicholl did well in the air and tried his best to create attacking ball, Adams and Zammit worked hard, I felt for Adams, he saved Wales early in the second half with that cover tackle on ioane (one of my favourite players in the 6 nations and URC), only to miss the tackle on the fullback in the lead up to the winning try.
Italy’s tactics were spot on, they kicked for touch instead of kicking for territory, they were also pragmatic - taking their kicks at goal (when they came along) whilst wales showed Italy no respect and turned down shots at goal several times and went to the corners (only to cough up possession).

Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 6:48pm
why did we give away so many penalties, what was going on with our discipline?
sir duckling tuft
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

why did we give away so many penalties, what was going on with our discipline?
The fact this is a poor team, poorly prepared, poorly selected seems to have escaped you. Italy were far better than Wales in every aspect of the game today. They fully deserved their victory.
What's going on?
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 7:07pm
Of the 4 international sides that I've just watched on tv I'm afraid that Wales was by far the slowest in thought and deed. And even more distressing they appeared quite comatose, deciding to adopt the failed Scarlets solution to a rush defence ie passing the ball predictably and laterally along the line until they ran out of space. If the opposition commit so many players in the rush defence then there must be space behind them where they will be vulnerable to a chip and chase. The space behind wasn't all that obvious on tv because the editor preferred to cover the area closer to the line of contact, but unless Italy had 18 players on the pitch it had to be there.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 7:15pm
The WRU should cancel the tour to SA and rearrange for a development tour to the USA or eastern europe such as romsnia etc to give an opportunity to develop and cap sone of the youngsters. The likes ofvrogers, conbeer, morgan jones, blacker should be in the running along with the other youngsters at othervregions. I dont think the 30+ year olds should be considered
There is a lot of young talent outbthete that need to be developed and not overlooked
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic