Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 7:32pm
New Zealand Marlborough whites are lovely like oyster Bay. Very tasty.
Love CNDP for reds, but not cheap. Good Louis jadot beaujolais villages is nice too
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

ndavies198 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndavies198 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by ndavies198 ndavies198 wrote:

I really like red wine myself but outside of saying I love French and Italian I'm not really that knowledgable about the whole thing and tend to get all mine from the supermarket so hopefully this thread will help! I'll definitely be looking to get a bottle of the Snapper Rock to try. One of my favourites is the Roc De Lussac, Lussac St Emilion sold at Sainos.

For beer, I think two fo the best UK breweries at the moment are St Mars of the Desert from Sheffield and Newbarns from Leith. St Mars of the Desert provide some really good koelschip hopped IPAs and lagers which emphasise the fruity characteristics of the hops and less so the bitterness  - a little traditional crossed with modern crossed with experimental. They do a cracking barley wine which is a whopper for blowing your head off. Newbarns focuses more on traditional beers made really, really well - set up by a guy who used to be the Head Brewer of the Tempus Project at Beavertown before it sold off to Heineken. 

Lastly I'd say if you like wine and beer then you should give Lambics a go if you haven't before. They're a type of beer which are fermented spontaneously in open vats at night time with wild yeasts and bacteria from the air which adds funky, tart, and sour flavours to the beer and are left to age in barrels for up to three years. Cantillion in Brussels are one of the best at these with the two main styles being a Gueze which is a one year, a two year, and a three year lambic blended together and Kriek which is a lambic combined with macerated cherries. 3 Fonteinen are another amazing Lambic brewery but more expensive than Cantillon who themselves will sell a bottle of Geuze in Brussels for about 7 euro (their brewery tour and tap room are well worth a visit) but because they have limited brewing capacity over in the UK you'll be looking at about £25 a bottle... Worth a try for a one off though and if anyone does I'd love to hear what you think!
The St Emilion satellite appellations are very good and offer a little more value than St Emilion itself.

Another near neighbouring appellation to look out for is Cotes de Castillon. It’s an extension of the geology of St Emilion and has great wine as well as value for money. They’ve invested a lot in improving their wine and with good results.

Ah this is great advice - thanks! I’ll look out for the Cotes de Castillon.
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 12:48pm
IMHO  the best beers in the world mostly come from Belgium, especially if it has Trappist written on it.

As for wines i love the "new world wines" especially a Shiraz from Australia's "Hunter Valley" and South African's Cabernet Sauvignon. Generally excellent value as well.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 2:50pm
In between the European Rugby on BT, the new Majestic ad is getting a fair bit of play. I like it and have found them to be very good to buy from, whether in shop or on line with free delivery.

I’m not an out and out Cabernet Sauvignon fan, however, one recommendation from a Majestic manager was a Chilean one from a Norwegian who emigrated there. 

It came about to fill a mixed case of 12. He extolled the virtues of Vik’s A by saying it was something he discovered at a managers tasting day. Not expecting much, he was surprised to be delighted by it, as were his colleagues. So much so it was voted best wine of the event.

I found it equally impressive.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 3:22pm

In between the European Rugby on BT, the new Majestic ad is getting a fair bit of play. I like it and have found them to be very good to buy from, whether in shop or on line with free delivery.

I’m not an out and out Cabernet Sauvignon fan, however, one recommendation from a Majestic manager was a Chilean one from a Norwegian who emigrated there. 

It came about to fill a mixed case of 12. He extolled the virtues of Vik’s A by saying it was something he discovered at a managers tasting day. Not expecting much, he was surprised to be delighted by it, as were his colleagues. So much so it was voted best wine of the event.

I sense a SF Wine Appreciation Society being formed! Who would have thought there was such refinement on the forum. 🍷 😂
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I sense a SF Wine Appreciation Society being formed! Who would have thought there was such refinement on the forum. 🍷 😂
We’re old enough to remember the 📺 programme “Call My Bluff” Wink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 4:03pm

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

We’re old enough to remember the 📺 programme “Call My Bluff” Wink
Sadly yes 😂
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 4:30pm
You can’t knock a good Primitivio from Puglia if you like red wine 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 5:20pm
Two bottles of white ended up with a nz sauvigon blance fish chips and a strawberry cheese cake. Today sagres lager lisboa red  steak and chips fab wknd but looking for a few jamesons and coke and the rugby now x
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Very true
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 5:39pm

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Very true
I have seen a few primitive pugilists from puglia mind 😂
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 5:47pm
Lidl do a very good Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand but it seems they have loads of it or none at all. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 1:19pm
Right mid week treat baron rothschild st emilion from majestics let’s see how this goes!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 2:51pm
Beer Park in Dafen has a fantastic range of stuff is you like a good browse.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Right mid week treat baron rothschild st emilion from majestics let’s see how this goes!
Which year and any more detail re it’s name? 
Our Majestic order arrived today and it included a Sancerre red, following your recommendation. Think it might be for tomorrow or Friday evening rather than tonight.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 6:03pm
I’ll try this link now it’s the £24.99 montangne https://www.majestic.co.uk/search?q=Sant+emilion+   Let me know how the sancerre is. There is a chateau de rouanne vinsorbes touch of pepper taste, i’d heartily recommend

Edited by RR1972 - 20 April 2022 at 6:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
  Share Topic