Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 29>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Gone for a big juicy italian barolol any food recos with that? Looks a spag bol and some crusty bread seen a good combo

Quick google brings up the following Barolo food pairing tips about cheese, meat & truffle | italian-wine-info.com
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 2:26pm
[QUOTE=RR1972]Gone for a big juicy italian barolol any food recos with that? Looks a spag bol and some crusty bread seen a good combo[/QUOT

Spag bol good also nice with a coq au vin or pork and chorizo cassoulet. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 3:16pm
Nice work ladsClap
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 10:17am
What are we enjoying this weekend??
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 10:41am
This weekend might see some Bordeaux Rosé although there’s some Bordeaux red from one of the smaller and lesser known areas that might come into play.

Went to Chateau Vandenbeld, the Dutch owned vineyard 15 mins away, last night for dinner and all the wine you could drink. It’s a Bergerac vineyard and is probably the most north and westerly in the region. It’s a surprise it’s not in the Bordeaux catchment area. Mrs EO volunteered to drive.

An outdoor table of 16 all eating together chatting made for a convivial occasion. 4 Dutch couples, 1 Czech couple and us plus 4 from the host family. Everyone was very chatty. The Czech couple were on their way from their home in southern CZ to their apartment in Portugal. They love their wine and do 800kms a day stopping in nice places - this weekend in Haro as they adore Rioja - it’s cheaper in CZ than French wine for some reason.

We got the story of the vineyard’s 500 year plus history and how they have developed the site. Some good stories of local life and how much more flexible and enjoyable life is here compared to their old profession of selling cheese in Holland. Also, difficulties in marketing a non-French owned vineyard locally. They’ve got wine in only a couple of restaurants nearby. Slowly, though, they’re being accepted. They plan to launch a french-named wine that links back to the heritage of the place. That should do well.

Their place is on booking.com and some of the Dutch folk had stayed there a few times before.

They produce 2 dry whites, 1 rose, 3 different fizzies, 3 red plus in co-operation with another enterprise, some cognac (didn’t get to try that).

The white blend (Sauvignon & Semillon iirc) was very nice. The single grape in the acacia barrel was fruitier but probably needed food with it for best effect. 

The 3 reds were very good indeed, especially the 2015 100% Merlot.

As with all good dos, it can be best to leave early still wanting more and our dogs provided us with that reason. Everyone else was staying overnight and I can imagine it didn’t finish until midnight or so.

Planning to return with friends a week on Monday for another dinner and more tasting.

Their prices are more than the typical Bergerac and while happy to buy  in their summer sale, I want to make sure of my choices first plus have some friends whose opinions I value.

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 2:36pm
Did you converse in english eo? Or can you get by in french? I have gome duluc de branaire st julien looking forward!
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 6:59pm

Did you converse in english eo? Or can you get by in french? I have gome duluc de branaire st julien looking forward!
In reverse order, St Julien is very good although for me I get Pauillac and its superb qualities each and every time. Maybe I should try harder with St JulienWink

Last night’s conversation was in English when it was everyone talking, although there were conversations in Dutch, naturally enough. The Czech couple were outgoing, although only the wife spoke decent English. I did brush the dust off the distant memory of my Czech vocabulary (went to Prague half a dozen times) that couldn’t string a sentence together but had key words like beer, good, please thanks etc and ice cream. 

Always had an interest in and ability in languages. It was something that piqued my interest when at school. Quite a few subjects didn’t interest me or I couldn’t relate to in a practical manner. Choosing to do French A-level was almost an afterthought. However, thanks to that grounding and much practice including many visits, I’m fluent and gave a 5 mins speech in French in a restaurant at Xmas for Mrs EO’s birthday do to which we invited lots of folk we’ve known for years. 

However, when it’s a different subject and you’ve no vocabulary (eg ordering a power cable for a computer over the phone), it can get hilarious. At those times, good grammar isn’t going to help you.

We had a superb light lunch - a spinach risotto with white wine and topped wish some small fish fillets called vives that I’ve not yet tracked down the translation of. Dictionaries and fish translations are not good bedfellows.

Tonight, it was just a plate of cheese - Bethmale chevre (goat), St Nectaire (from the Auvergne) and some Bleu that’s been around so long (3 or 4 weeks) the ink has run off the label. The weather’s been a bit hot for much of a cheese appetite. 

The wine accompaniment from the little known Bordeaux area is a Sainte Foy Bordeaux.

Chateau Claribes Old vine Malbec from 2011 has gone very well with it. The vineyard is English expat owned and we had a tour a year or so ago as part of an animal charity fund raising visit and lunch. 

This post would’ve taken less time to complete had I not had to defend my last bit of blue cheese from the ever so cute cocker spaniel. For his size, he’d be a brilliant line out exponent. Think stretched Aaron Shingler.

He’s developed his rear leg muscles and subtlety in equal measure so we’ve no idea when he’s going to launch a speculative mission in pursuit of the cheese scent lingering on the table.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

In reverse order, St Julien is very good although for me I get Pauillac and its superb qualities each and every time. Maybe I should try harder with St JulienWink

Last night’s conversation was in English when it was everyone talking, although there were conversations in Dutch, naturally enough. The Czech couple were outgoing, although only the wife spoke decent English. I did brush the dust off the distant memory of my Czech vocabulary (went to Prague half a dozen times) that couldn’t string a sentence together but had key words like beer, good, please thanks etc and ice cream. 

Always had an interest in and ability in languages. It was something that piqued my interest when at school. Quite a few subjects didn’t interest me or I couldn’t relate to in a practical manner. Choosing to do French A-level was almost an afterthought. However, thanks to that grounding and much practice including many visits, I’m fluent and gave a 5 mins speech in French in a restaurant at Xmas for Mrs EO’s birthday do to which we invited lots of folk we’ve known for years. 

However, when it’s a different subject and you’ve no vocabulary (eg ordering a power cable for a computer over the phone), it can get hilarious. At those times, good grammar isn’t going to help you.

We had a superb light lunch - a spinach risotto with white wine and topped wish some small fish fillets called vives that I’ve not yet tracked down the translation of. Dictionaries and fish translations are not good bedfellows.

Tonight, it was just a plate of cheese - Bethmale chevre (goat), St Nectaire (from the Auvergne) and some Bleu that’s been around so long (3 or 4 weeks) the ink has run off the label. The weather’s been a bit hot for much of a cheese appetite. 

The wine accompaniment from the little known Bordeaux area is a Sainte Foy Bordeaux.

Chateau Claribes Old vine Malbec from 2011 has gone very well with it. The vineyard is English expat owned and we had a tour a year or so ago as part of an animal charity fund raising visit and lunch. 

This post would’ve taken less time to complete had I not had to defend my last bit of blue cheese from the ever so cute cocker spaniel. For his size, he’d be a brilliant line out exponent. Think stretched Aaron Shingler.

He’s developed his rear leg muscles and subtlety in equal measure so we’ve no idea when he’s going to launch a speculative mission in pursuit of the cheese scent lingering on the table.

Great tales EO - I can certainly relate to the cocker. Our two springers didn't give me an ounce of peace when eating our BBQ last night. The comparison with Aaron is spot on. LOL
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 3:13pm
Just back from St Emilion - see post on the Welsh Coach thread.

The newcomer to the winegrowers in the area was not well-received in the early days (1990ish). He was a bit pushed for space and started pressing his wine in a large garage. 1991 vintage was an awful year with the very difficult weather, late frosts etc. However, the newcomer’s wine escaped and was one of the very few decent vintages for sale, maybe the only one depending on who tells the story.

Chateau Valandraud was the must have 1991 vintage and being a small production at the time, the price soared. Future years’ production went very well as a result and expansion has continued ever since. Our electrician has recently been involved on a big project for them, too.

The new upstart vineyard had things in common with Apple, Google, possibly Faceboook and a few other mega business now - all started in a garage, or similar.

The owner was an ex-banker who comes from nearby where our place is. The vineyard was in a valley (Val) and Andraud was his wife’s maiden name and that’s how the vineyard got its name.

Referring to himself as the Bad Boy of St Emilion because of those early days when not just the weather was frosty, he’s launched a range of wines under the Bad Boy brand. A sheep is standing leaning on a bicycle by a sign pointing to the garage (see above). The design is fun and the wine is very good. They do a couple of reds with different grape varieties, a couple of whites, rosé and sparkling white and rosé. Sheep figure highly in the branding in other ways too.

There’s Bad Boy, Bad Girl, Baby Bad Boy and maybe another one or two. Here’s the link to the Brady Boy wine range, in French only with pictures http://https://www.thunevin.com/badboy-co However, if you click on the wines, you can get the info in English.

Looking forward to having a longer tasting and swallowing the product. I was driving today.

If you’re interested, here’s the link to the English website http://https://valandraud.fr/en/ although there’s only limited stuff in English before it returns to the native tongue. BTW, the Clos du Beau-Pere (Father in Law) is a very drinkable Pomerol.

Please note that St Emilion wine can only be red. Anything else has to be a Bordeaux, or if it’s really different to the rules for the Bordeaux appellation, it will be a Vin de France. We’ve had their 2nd white and it has been extremely good.

They also do an €8 Roussillon that’s very light easy drinking in warm weather. Didn’t buy any although our friends did.

We’re going back there when our next visitors arrive so may well remedy that omission.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 9:07am
Spunds ideal that eo, never had a bad st emilion the lovely weather must help to, throw in good food your living the dream

Edited by RR1972 - 06 August 2022 at 9:08am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 10:29pm
I have just had the best cdnp i have ever had £26 from majestics domaine durieu. Superb. So good i’m getting another for sat!

Edited by RR1972 - 11 August 2022 at 10:47pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:12pm
Currently enjoying the Bergerac Rosé at €6 a bottle. Mrs EO and best friend love a good rosé. At 30C it’s good stuff.

Our dogs are currently running off with Mrs EO’s best friend’s flip flops so all good fun.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 11:26pm
Is it warm there? Rose and summer a good mix We got a 30 degree heat wave here at the mo, grape growing weather, !Wink Did the dogs anxiety blanket work? We had our yorkies coat cut last week luckily enough, she’s not designed for heat

Edited by RR1972 - 11 August 2022 at 11:27pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 7:06am

Is it warm there? Rose and summer a good mix We got a 30 degree heat wave here at the mo, grape growing weather, !Wink Did the dogs anxiety blanket work? We had our yorkies coat cut last week luckily enough, she’s not designed for heat
There’s not been a day under 30C for about 5 weeks. High thirties for much of that although the humidity is lower than the UK. Sunday onwards sees the max below 30C. There’ve been lots of forest fires with some causing much destruction. One was an area larger than Bordeaux and outside its ring road (rocade). That one restarted 2 days ago. We had one about 2kms north of us and we saw a helicopter making several circuits to scoop up water and then drop it on the affected area. It was less than 1km from a few friends of ours. Good planning and swift intervention nipped it in the bud.

The dogs’ anxiety blankets haven’t arrived yet although yesterday the Royal Mail said they’d just received the parcel. Fingers crossed.

Today is a visit to a brewery about 20 mins away. Our first visit. it was set up by a Brit, although he’s no longer part of the business.

Will report back later.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 12 August 2022 at 7:07am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 8:15am
Sounds a good day out, enjoyClap

Edited by RR1972 - 12 August 2022 at 8:16am
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 3:02pm
Brilliant brewery tour and lovely beer, especially the Milkshake IPA. They brew 500L a time and try to bottle only once or twice a week. An hour’s bottling means 4 hours cleaning. They use 3L of water for every 1L of beer and 1.5L of that is for cleaning. Typical brewers use much more water than that.

Have bought a few other bottles to taste over time. Easy going guy spoke brilliant English. Frenchman from Lyon via jobs in Oz and US spoke fluently and entertainingly with no trace of a French accent.

The artwork on their special edition bottles is great fun, too.

Another day of 40C here and thirst quenching to be done later.

La Paluche, which you see on each bottle = (bear’s) paw

Their slogan of “Une bière qui a du poil” means “A beer with attitude” 

Edited by Eastern outpost - 12 August 2022 at 3:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 29>
  Share Topic