Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 29>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2022 at 8:24pm
Nice article on bbc wales news about soarkling wine in wales, looked good
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2022 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

After you….
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

After you….
i’ll stick to my reds, any good new worlds i should try? This penfold lot any good?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 8:19am

After you….
i’ll stick to my reds, any good new worlds i should try? This penfold lot any good?

Had a decent full bodied red from Australia recently - available in most supermarkets - nineteen crimes, great name for an Australian wine named after the number of crimes you could get deported to Australia for back in the day. These crimes included stealing bread - makes the mind boggle to think what would happen to the board of the WRU today.Big smile
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 11:00am
Some very good reds in Aldi at the moment. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 2:58pm
Had dinner at Chateau Vandenbeld yesterday evening. Wine, food and conversation as enjoyable as ever.

Some interesting snippets.

There are so many vineyards becoming organic that many earlier vineyards to get that accreditation are going back to non-organic. They can no longer command a higher price that was possible when organic producers were fewer.

I’ve mentioned Demeter before and observing the lunar phases when planting and treating. I look for that more than just organic. However, I learned of another accreditation HVE - Haute Valeur Environmental I think. The High Environmental Value accreditation looks at the whole of the vineyard and its impact on the environment.

One thing that I wasn’t aware of was that Organic vineyards spray more than non-organic.

Price wise, there are some hefty hikes to come from the doubling of fertiliser amongst other parts of the inflation basket that we’ve heard about on TV. 2023 wines will be more expensive as a result. How much more wasn’t said. 

We got to taste the 2020 Vandenbeld red just 2 weeks after it had gone into bottles. A promising start of what should be a very good vintage. 2015 and 2016 were also on the table.

This summer’s heat and drought mean that the quantity of French wine is well down from normal. Already limited by late frosts, tennis ball sized hailstorms, the absence of rain made for a very low yield from the grapes that did survive. The heat made for higher than usual alcohol and as France won’t let vineyards water their vines, the vineyard owners have to take the consequences.

We are off to see Chateau Jonc Blanc on Monday and hear their news. Will post it next week.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 3:11pm

Had dinner at Chateau Vandenbeld yesterday evening. Wine, food and conversation as enjoyable as ever.

Some interesting snippets.

There are so many vineyards becoming organic that many earlier vineyards to get that accreditation are going back to non-organic. They can no longer command a higher price that was possible when organic producers were fewer.

I’ve mentioned Demeter before and observing the lunar phases when planting and treating. I look for that more than just organic. However, I learned of another accreditation HVE - Haute Valeur Environmental I think. The High Environmental Value accreditation looks at the whole of the vineyard and its impact on the environment.

One thing that I wasn’t aware of was that Organic vineyards spray more than non-organic.

Price wise, there are some hefty hikes to come from the doubling of fertiliser amongst other parts of the inflation basket that we’ve heard about on TV. 2023 wines will be more expensive as a result. How much more wasn’t said. 

We got to taste the 2020 Vandenbeld red just 2 weeks after it had gone into bottles. A promising start of what should be a very good vintage. 2015 and 2016 were also on the table.

This summer’s heat and drought mean that the quantity of French wine is well down from normal. Already limited by late frosts, tennis ball sized hailstorms, the absence of rain made for a very low yield from the grapes that did survive. The heat made for higher than usual alcohol and as France won’t let vineyards water their vines, the vineyard owners have to take the consequences.

We are off to see Chateau Jonc Blanc on Monday and hear their news. Will post it next week.
not news i wanted to hear im on the family perrin stuff this wknd, 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Some very good reds in Aldi at the moment. 
aldi wines always get good reviews i must give it a try. The coop another retailer that gets good write ups they stock 19 crimes our good friend gpr was championing

Edited by RR1972 - 21 October 2022 at 3:16pm
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 1:56am
Marlborough region NZ my favourites....outstanding wine.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 7:41am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Marlborough region NZ my favourites....outstanding wine.

Good choice Lofty.Thumbs Up
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 10:01am
Côtes Catalanes reds-some lovely wines and among my favourites.Whiskey-Red Breast,a down-smooth single malt from Ireland.
As for beer-Felinfoel Ales have got their bottling to a tee these days.
This thread could prove to be most popular as the season continues.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 10:14am
Our current results would drive anyone to drink!  I’m on a vacqueuras maison bouchaon later. Are the rfc home today?
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 6:58pm
Visited Chateau Jonc Blanc this afternoon. Wines are tasting beautifully and suitable across quite a range of different foods. There’s even one for Indian, Chinese and other Asian dishes.

They’ve also brought in a fun white & red under the IGOR label. It’s a collection of 8 small and like-minded vineyards that want to produce good wine for easy drinking, possibly tempting newer people to wine. They don’t bother much about pursuing appellation contrôlée status and are happy selling Vin de France that’s really good.

For example, Bergerac wouldn’t let producers make wine from a single grape variety. It always had to be a blend of two or more.

IGOR is nothing to do with Russia etc. The R stands for Rebels. The artwork on the labels is fun on all the bottles.

Good fun, great wines so good on them.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 7:00pm

Visited Chateau Jonc Blanc this afternoon. Wines are tasting beautifully and suitable across quite a range of different foods. There’s even one for Indian, Chinese and other Asian dishes.

They’ve also brought in a fun white & red under the IGOR label. It’s a collection of 8 small and like-minded vineyards that want to produce good wine for easy drinking, possibly tempting newer people to wine. They don’t bother much about pursuing appellation contrôlée status and are happy selling Vin de France that’s really good.

For example, Bergerac wouldn’t let producers make wine from a single grape variety. It always had to be a blend of two or more.

IGOR is nothing to do with Russia etc. The R stands for Rebels. The artwork on the labels is fun on all the bottles.

Anything with faggots and peas LOL
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Anything with faggots and peas LOL
Next time I see them, I’ll ask. Must try and find out how that translates. There may not be a french word for faggots, although I’d guess crépinettes. Might drop em an email.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 7:13pm
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 29>
  Share Topic