Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)
    Posted: 13 April 2022 at 6:23pm
Following myself and eAstern outposts discussions re wine , what does everyone drink here? Personally i’m all over french reds especially from the rhone region. Any one recommend anything?
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 6:56pm
So many micro breweries supplementing the bigger ones that produce decent beer make it almost impossible to try even half of those available. Our local had 4 hand pumps with three of them for guest beers on rotation from smaller brewers.

Wine wise, French mostly, some Italian and Spanish. I prefer reds although do like Austrian white, amongst others.

Trusting the advice of a good buyer of wine can be very rewarding. Some of the better wine in France is coming from vineyards that don’t want to conform to the rules of the local appellations. They feel they can make better wine following their knowledge and instincts. And it’s true.

One sommelier at a lovely restaurant says that the best vineyard in the Bergerac region does this. All their wine is sold as Vin de France, yet it knocks spots off more accredited vineyards.

Through sponsoring Hadleigh Parkes while he was with Scarlets, we got to tasting some NZ Pinot Noir, Snapper Rock. His brother is one of the main guys then.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 7:55pm
Not had many of the “new world” wines. That koonawara and penfolds have good reviews. Are the reds fron that part of the world a bit jammy?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 7:59am
Personally prefer reds but one of my favourite whites is Chablis. A fan of spanish Cava which is made the right way rather than pumping it full of gas. On the red front I love a Malbec & a recent find is from Australia - Nineteen Crimes. So many wines, so little time. Wacko
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Following myself and eAstern outposts discussions re wine , what does everyone drink here? Personally i’m all over french reds especially from the rhone region. Any one recommend anything?

As for Rhone reds you would have to go a long way to better chateau neuf du pape which is one of my favourites. I understand that there are a group of winemakers in California who use Rhone valley grape varieties to make Rhone style reds very successfully. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 9:39am
Cndp is a classic, goes well with steak and chips on a friday! Like an argie malbec to. Any one got any recomendations for a nice white to go with fish tomorrow?
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 9:52am
In terms of wine I flitter between preferring red and white, usually going on recommendations of others but generally Malbec/Chianti for red and dry for white (although I do like dessert wines) and will occasionally have rose (only Moscato).

Beer wise I don't discriminate in any way and struggle to pick a preferred type, love IPA's, ales, lager, some ciders, stouts the lot.

Some great breweries in Wales with my preferred ones at the moment being Wild Horse, Gower, Purple Moose, Foel and Evan Evans (Fire Island range), of the bigger breweries Brewdog I drink a lot of but my favourite currently is The Wild Beer Co in Bristol, great range and some outstanding beers.
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 9:55am

Cndp is a classic, goes well with steak and chips on a friday! Like an argie malbec to. Any one got any recomendations for a nice white to go with fish tomorrow?

A good Muscadet?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 9:59am
Let’s give it a go! I shall report back with a review!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 11:31am

Let’s give it a go! I shall report back with a review!

You could also try a Chablis never lets you down.Cool
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 12:16pm
Would love to add value to this thread, but living in places such as Morocco, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Cambodia Bangladesh and East Africa I'm afraid I'm now weened on to the local Formaldehyde specials and out of date imports.

I would say the transformation in beer offerings in the UK over the last decade or more is quite alluring mind. Hope I get the chance to dive in.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Would love to add value to this thread, but living in places such as Morocco, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Cambodia Bangladesh and East Africa I'm afraid I'm now weened on to the local Formaldehyde specials and out of date imports.

I would say the transformation in beer offerings in the UK over the last decade or more is quite alluring mind. Hope I get the chance to dive in.

That reminds me of the chabookoo huts on the copperbelt in Zambia. Cleaned the pipes that did. Ouch
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

A good Muscadet?
Difficult to find a poor Muscadet. Very reliable especially at the low end of the price scales. If available, try an Austrian as a back up Wink the Veltliners are most drinkable.
ndavies198 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndavies198 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 1:51pm
I really like red wine myself but outside of saying I love French and Italian I'm not really that knowledgable about the whole thing and tend to get all mine from the supermarket so hopefully this thread will help! I'll definitely be looking to get a bottle of the Snapper Rock to try. One of my favourites is the Roc De Lussac, Lussac St Emilion sold at Sainos.

For beer, I think two fo the best UK breweries at the moment are St Mars of the Desert from Sheffield and Newbarns from Leith. St Mars of the Desert provide some really good koelschip hopped IPAs and lagers which emphasise the fruity characteristics of the hops and less so the bitterness  - a little traditional crossed with modern crossed with experimental. They do a cracking barley wine which is a whopper for blowing your head off. Newbarns focuses more on traditional beers made really, really well - set up by a guy who used to be the Head Brewer of the Tempus Project at Beavertown before it sold off to Heineken. 

Lastly I'd say if you like wine and beer then you should give Lambics a go if you haven't before. They're a type of beer which are fermented spontaneously in open vats at night time with wild yeasts and bacteria from the air which adds funky, tart, and sour flavours to the beer and are left to age in barrels for up to three years. Cantillion in Brussels are one of the best at these with the two main styles being a Gueze which is a one year, a two year, and a three year lambic blended together and Kriek which is a lambic combined with macerated cherries. 3 Fonteinen are another amazing Lambic brewery but more expensive than Cantillon who themselves will sell a bottle of Geuze in Brussels for about 7 euro (their brewery tour and tap room are well worth a visit) but because they have limited brewing capacity over in the UK you'll be looking at about £25 a bottle... Worth a try for a one off though and if anyone does I'd love to hear what you think!
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by ndavies198 ndavies198 wrote:

I really like red wine myself but outside of saying I love French and Italian I'm not really that knowledgable about the whole thing and tend to get all mine from the supermarket so hopefully this thread will help! I'll definitely be looking to get a bottle of the Snapper Rock to try. One of my favourites is the Roc De Lussac, Lussac St Emilion sold at Sainos.

For beer, I think two fo the best UK breweries at the moment are St Mars of the Desert from Sheffield and Newbarns from Leith. St Mars of the Desert provide some really good koelschip hopped IPAs and lagers which emphasise the fruity characteristics of the hops and less so the bitterness  - a little traditional crossed with modern crossed with experimental. They do a cracking barley wine which is a whopper for blowing your head off. Newbarns focuses more on traditional beers made really, really well - set up by a guy who used to be the Head Brewer of the Tempus Project at Beavertown before it sold off to Heineken. 

Lastly I'd say if you like wine and beer then you should give Lambics a go if you haven't before. They're a type of beer which are fermented spontaneously in open vats at night time with wild yeasts and bacteria from the air which adds funky, tart, and sour flavours to the beer and are left to age in barrels for up to three years. Cantillion in Brussels are one of the best at these with the two main styles being a Gueze which is a one year, a two year, and a three year lambic blended together and Kriek which is a lambic combined with macerated cherries. 3 Fonteinen are another amazing Lambic brewery but more expensive than Cantillon who themselves will sell a bottle of Geuze in Brussels for about 7 euro (their brewery tour and tap room are well worth a visit) but because they have limited brewing capacity over in the UK you'll be looking at about £25 a bottle... Worth a try for a one off though and if anyone does I'd love to hear what you think!
The St Emilion satellite appellations are very good and offer a little more value than St Emilion itself.

Another near neighbouring appellation to look out for is Cotes de Castillon. It’s an extension of the geology of St Emilion and has great wine as well as value for money. They’ve invested a lot in improving their wine and with good results.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 7:26pm
For anyone who likes their beer from craft breweries, the Perfect Draft is a great way to make your way through them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic