Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 29>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 8:15am
As the cries of the Haka fade, thoughts turn towards RR in a Spanish bar on his Mike’s Rayer for the next 15 hours, approx. 

Challenging the self-control to balance nutritional intake during this time against the temptations of early beers, it’s a tough mission.

Hope the breakfast and coffee are good 😊 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 12:42pm
Literally sat on my own in front of tv whilst every one else watchibg a celtic football match and the open. Drinking bottles of heinken washed down with jamesons and coke in 40 degrees hear. Dear me this won’t end wellWink
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Literally sat on my own in front of tv whilst every one else watchibg a celtic football match and the open. Drinking bottles of heinken washed down with jamesons and coke in 40 degrees hear. Dear me this won’t end wellWink
As long as you can watch the next match, all will be fine…….
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 5:26pm
Im digging in a bit like wales. We hanging on well i feel the scotland game a bridge too far for me

Edited by RR1972 - 16 July 2022 at 5:29pm
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 8:03pm
Drinking a Pinot watching our game. I'm partial to a nice SA Chenin but refuse to drink a wine of a country we play against 😂. Disappointing result. I feel the ref was against us. My view Biggar not a captain and Hardy not a test 9 sorry!!!
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Superscarlet Superscarlet wrote:

Drinking a Pinot watching our game. I'm partial to a nice SA Chenin but refuse to drink a wine of a country we play against 😂. Disappointing result. I feel the ref was against us. My view Biggar not a captain and Hardy not a test 9 sorry!!!
Missed everything from about 25th minute, as we had a family meal to go to. It was moved from lunchtime because of the heat.

Had a very nice Pecharmant red. It’s a very nice part of the Bergerac region and the quality resulted in the area getting its own appellation. If you think of St Emilion and head east, you get to the Montravel part of Bergerac wines and then next is Pecharmant. Some of our friends have this as their go to wine for “special” occasions.

Also came across a local vineyard owned by a Dutch couple. The label is Vandenbeld, its the 3 words in the family name, rosé. It’s another under the Bergerac label but in a different, less well-known area to the Pecharmant. It was well received by all of us that tried it. At €18 in a restaurant, it represented good value.

Talking to an assessor of referees in the Top 14, yesterday, along with his rugby mates since schooldays, he said he was always on the side of the officials. He thought Carley was too soft on Wales and we should have had at least 3 yellows in the first half - probably not making any allowances for the pitch.

I countered with my own inexpert opinion that he always looks to penalise the away side, or underdog and comes across as harsh while not necessarily fair. Adding that only speaking the one language, French teams never seem to enjoy his performances. There was no disagreement.

Still, the tour ended up being much better than we all feared.

Meanwhile, congrats to RR on navigating all that time in the bar successfully.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 8:48am
Aqua for me todayWink
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 9:43am

Aqua for me todayWink
’Robics?
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Superscarlet Superscarlet wrote:

Missed everything from about 25th minute, as we had a family meal to go to. It was moved from lunchtime because of the heat.

Had a very nice Pecharmant red. It’s a very nice part of the Bergerac region and the quality resulted in the area getting its own appellation. If you think of St Emilion and head east, you get to the Montravel part of Bergerac wines and then next is Pecharmant. Some of our friends have this as their go to wine for “special” occasions.

Also came across a local vineyard owned by a Dutch couple. The label is Vandenbeld, its the 3 words in the family name, rosé. It’s another under the Bergerac label but in a different, less well-known area to the Pecharmant. It was well received by all of us that tried it. At €18 in a restaurant, it represented good value.

Talking to an assessor of referees in the Top 14, yesterday, along with his rugby mates since schooldays, he said he was always on the side of the officials. He thought Carley was too soft on Wales and we should have had at least 3 yellows in the first half - probably not making any allowances for the pitch.

I countered with my own inexpert opinion that he always looks to penalise the away side, or underdog and comes across as harsh while not necessarily fair. Adding that only speaking the one language, French teams never seem to enjoy his performances. There was no disagreement.

Still, the tour ended up being much better than we all feared.

Meanwhile, congrats to RR on navigating all that time in the bar successfully.

I will look out for that wine, thanks for the recommendation. Water for me too today 😂
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 3:18pm
Sa white usually decent no?  Any other recos? Im semi recovered trying to find a oub to show the golf/cricket while the irish hurling final is on is a task!!  We need to sort out a weekly pick of a wine and a review on here

Edited by RR1972 - 17 July 2022 at 3:26pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 7:45pm

Sa white usually decent no?  Any other recos? Im semi recovered trying to find a oub to show the golf/cricket while the irish hurling final is on is a task!!  We need to sort out a weekly pick of a wine and a review on here
SA whites - I’ve managed to uncover some that made me go Yuk - might be more a question of age; the wine’s not mine.

For those that remember, when sanctions were on, some wine producers sprang up in Eastern Europe. This may well have been SA sanctions busting creative thinking. They’ve complete deniability on Blue Nun Wink

Seeing where you are, I’d go for the Spanish whites and see what you can find. You’ve te possibility of finding something that never makes it out of the country because of supply and demand locally and/or poor marketing. 

Like the idea of picking a wine and folk that want to give it a whirl and review on here, take it in turns to pick etc.

Might it be an idea to see if Sporting Wines, a club partner, might be able to help out? I’ve been a member for a while and am happy to approach them.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 17 July 2022 at 7:47pm
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2022 at 1:19pm
In the supermarket this morning and bought some rosé. 

One was Berne (I’m tempted to improve the label and add an I) and the other name would be approved of by Samson as it mentions Ferret - a chi-chi place on the ocean west of Bordeaux.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 10:49am

You've been very quiet RR - hope your holiday going well. Any feedback on Rioja yet. Been told they have a very palatable white in their domaine. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 11:57am
Great hol v hot. Had a few nice riojas bit earthy compared to rhe fremch tasty thoughWink back to reality now!

Edited by RR1972 - 21 July 2022 at 11:57am
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 12:59pm

Great hol v hot. Had a few nice riojas bit earthy compared to rhe fremch tasty thoughWink back to reality now!
A nice Pauillac to lift the morale and banish the post-holiday feeling?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 1:45pm
Gone for a big juicy italian barolol any food recos with that? Looks a spag bol and some crusty bread seen a good combo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 29>
  Share Topic