Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The wine and beer thread (all drinks allowed!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 8:20am
Just wondering on thoughts on English /Welsh wines. In my part of the world more and more vineyards are springing up - linked the producers say to climate changes. Chapel Down who are the biggest English producer acquired 388 acres of farmland near me a few years ago and it has totally changed the local landscape from hop fields and mixed arable/ livestock farming to vines as far as the eye can see. Overall they now have nearly 1000 acres of vineyards in Kent.  Done tastings with them and with some of the smaller producers. A lot of the wine is pretty mediocre but the Chapel Down sparkling wines are very good and had a bottle of their Flint dry last night which was most enjoyable .
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Just wondering on thoughts on English /Welsh wines. In my part of the world more and more vineyards are springing up - linked the producers say to climate changes. Chapel Down who are the biggest English producer acquired 388 acres of farmland near me a few years ago and it has totally changed the local landscape from hop fields and mixed arable/ livestock farming to vines as far as the eye can see. Overall they now have nearly 1000 acres of vineyards in Kent.  Done tastings with them and with some of the smaller producers. A lot of the wine is pretty mediocre but the Chapel Down sparkling wines are very good and had a bottle of their Flint dry last night which was most enjoyable .
Glad you enjoyed the Chapel Down. It’s good to see some first hand experience on here. Please keep letting us know when you come across good ones.

The prices being charged for homegrown wine seem pretty high relative to established foreign sources and you run the risk of being disappointed with the product as well as the price.

There are lots of good reviews about UK wine product, Nyetimber being an example, although the cost was about £60 a bottle iirc Ouch 

Foreign producers have invested in UK land to safeguard their future production against global warming so clearly the terroir is good.

If I go and see a vineyard, taste first and like it, I’d be much more inclined to (pay the premium and) buy than to do so off a shop shelf. However, if you want to support the domestic product, then it’s a case of having to pay up.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 13 August 2022 at 8:39am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 8:35am

Kentexile you bring back happy memories. My first date with my now wife Diane was a wine tasting at Chapel Down, Tenterden in September 2005. At our wedding 5 years later we enjoyed some of the Chapel Down sparkling - very enjoyable. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 8:41am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Kentexile you bring back happy memories. My first date with my now wife Diane was a wine tasting at Chapel Down, Tenterden in September 2005. At our wedding 5 years later we enjoyed some of the Chapel Down sparkling - very enjoyable. 
Belated congratulations🥂
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 10:04am

not tried any but open to suggestions
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 10:42am
Thanks RR  would recommend the Brut NV sparking ( the Sparking rose is good too so my wife says)and the Flint Dry. Chapel Down do a Chardonnay as well but have yet to try it - will track a bottle down and let you know what it is like. They do a lot with the Bacchus grape . Their still Bacchus  is too medium for my taste but the sparkling Bacchus is  drier.
They only produce small quantities of reds after very hot summers and did an excellent pinot noir a few years back so one may be on the cards after this year but be careful if buying as they also import reds they sell under their label.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 10:46am
Where can i pick 1 up?
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 10:56am
Some supermarkets stock here but not sure if that is because they are local but you can order on line at www.chapeldown.com. You can get some of their wines including single bottles on Amazon as well, sometimes for less than on their site.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 6:13pm
Quick appeal on here as to whether anyone knows a coule called Tovey, who may hail from Gloucester area but moved to Llanelli a year or few ago (max 5 years maybe) after having lived in the Dordogne for a good few years?

They came up in conversation (because of Llanelli link) over wine, beer and food (don’t want to be off topic 😉). The black beer from the nearby micro brewery visited yesterday went down a storm.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 8:25am
Enjoyed a finca los principes el rihuelo 2019 Rioja last night served with a BBQ fillet steak accompanied by dauphinoise potatoes topped with gruyere along with runner beans fresh from our garden - top tucker!!!!!!
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 8:38am

Enjoyed a finca los principes el rihuelo 2019 Rioja last night served with a BBQ fillet steak accompanied by dauphinoise potatoes topped with gruyere along with runner beans fresh from our garden - top tucker!!!!!!
A very mouthwatering combination.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

It was indeed EO - the abundance of fresh vegetables we have now makes all the work ( especially watering recently) worthwhile. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 9:09am

It was indeed EO - the abundance of fresh vegetables we have now makes all the work ( especially watering recently) worthwhile. 
I wonder if there’ll be a run on water butts to store rainwater for the keener gardener who’s not already done so.

The fresher the veg the better the taste and homegrown takes some beating.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2022 at 9:56am

I wonder if there’ll be a run on water butts to store rainwater for the keener gardener who’s not already done so.

The fresher the veg the better the taste and homegrown takes some beating.

We are well kitted out with butts and are able to collect 3000 litres. We are also very lucky in that we have a stream running at the bottom of our garden which we are allowed to pump out of for irrigation- saves us an absolute fortune as we are on water meters. I agree with your take on homegrown - today we are having roast pots, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots & runner beans with our roast chicken all of which I will pick later. Keeps my good lady & I busy but healthy.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 8:27pm
Come on RR, what are the details of the St Julien tonight?

Weve been enjoying some crémeux - fizzy white - with different added flavours including red berries, grapefruit (tonight’s variety0. There are about 6 versions in all. They come from the Haute Savoie, adjoint in Switzerland, and cost €4 to €5 a bottle. 

At 12% proof, it’s very flavoursome and too bad for the head if you drink and moderation turns in early.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2022 at 9:33pm
Chateau branaire ducru v tasty. And a nice kick had it with lamb and mash   Fixzy white sounds lively any good? What goes well woth that?

Edited by RR1972 - 19 August 2022 at 9:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>
  Share Topic