Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the bright side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 5:52pm
Just a thought how many backs make succesful coaches? Carwyn, dawes,woodward and hansen are the only ones that spring to mind
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Just a thought how many backs make succesful coaches? Carwyn, dawes,woodward and hansen are the only ones that spring to mind

Graham Henry,Galthié
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:16pm
Did henry play to any level?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:18pm

Did henry play to any level?
He didn't go far no-he was a 10 I think
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:35pm
Steve Hansen
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Steve Hansen
Sorry realised he had gone
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:59pm
Guy Novès,coach of Toulouse for 20 years,was a wing
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:34pm
Plenty to be optimistic about. Like we’ve said, how many players this season have put themselves into contention for our 23 that weren’t there a year ago? Anything takes time, we’ve not really had consistent coaching for a few years. Last year of Pivac there was a drop off, then Mooar briefly, then of course Delaney. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows but our biggest weaknesses can be fixed.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:39pm
To continue the "Bright Side" theme:

Sam: It is becoming more and more clear that Costelow is the sort of player you can build a team around. So much class, so much skill, loads of intelligence. He has improved his defence massively, the kid would clearly tackle a train if asked to, and his distribution is getting better and better.

Morgan Jones and Jac Price: Although I'd be surprised to see either of them get to the standard of a Jake Ball, AWJ or even regular Wales 6n player, they are both maturing into highly competent league players and capable partners for the "Beast" that we need to have on the roster somewhere. Jac wins the starts and plaudits for his excellent work rate, but I think Morgan has a tad more aggression and impact in the carry. Both around 6'7 and 18 st and both only 22.

Conbeer: another outstanding attacking threat who has worked hard on his deficiencies and at the age of 23 he's already got to be in the, why on earth would we not start him category.

Johnny Williams: from out of nowhere, a shaky start, an injury absence has now become the next Hadleigh Parkes for us. Big tackler, hard hitting, defender magnet. Only 25 and this one will be a 6N starting quality centre. 

Will has mentioned some others too, we will actually have a very competent squad next season. We won't have the depth to be a top level, consistent threat next year, because we don't have the pack to put us on a level playing field with the Os on their day, or the Irish teams (let alone French)

But,

IF we can sort out defence, then we should definitely be in the hunt for the league playoffs and there's probably no team we couldn't beat on a one off. 

So a KO run in the league or the Challenge Cup isn't an impossible dream at all.

IF we were to sign another undiscovered gem of a lock, then anything is possible
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Graham Henry,Galthié

Alan Lewis
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:38pm
Ian McGeechan
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Despite performances that cover the full spectrum of possible descriptions this season, the overwhelming positive aspect has been the unearthing of new young talent, and those players being given significant game time. A great coaching move in my opinion. From that game time these guys are clearly going to make it ( O'Connor, Kemsley, Tuipulotu, Steff Thomas, Jac Price, Costelow, Archie Hughes, Joe Roberts and others).

Equally pleasing is seeing the investment in young 'existing' talent leading to a break through season and them becoming match day 23 regulars ( Conbeer, Daf Hughes, Sebastien, Morgan Jones, Tom Rogers, Shaun Evans and Baldwin for example).

Having said all that I don't think I've ever seen or read so much negativity, acutely inaccurate rhetoric, or in some cases actually latent hostility towards the Scarlets coaching team and certain players as I have this season.
It's most likely me as I can't seem to process how 'supporters' actually seem to revel more in defeat and team/individual poor performances, than opt to support the team they claim to be behind.
I actually don't want to read that stuff any longer, and taking a step back from those sources, that includes this forum.
Looking forward to flying back for the last game.

Doesn’t that come with the territory of being a rugby supporter in Wales? It’s all ups and downs. There’s no in between with some. Gareth Thomas pointed it out in the recent documentary. When Wales play well they can do no wrong, when they play bad it’s the complete opposite. It’s true of not just Wales but the regions. Cardiff supporters are at the end of their tether on social media.

Don't think its confined to Wales in all honesty. My mate who is a long time Bath supporter is hardly ecstatic. Frankly Cardiff supporters should be at the end of their tether. If being a supporter means blindly praising everything involved regardless of the results then count me out. If it involves opinions on the way the team is developing both good and bad then I'm in. The facts are plain for all to see - most missed tackles in a season, 2nd worst points conceded. When I was full time employed if some of my core statistics were that bad I would have expected questions to be asked. 

I am sure these questions are being asked & worked on - do I feel wrong/guilty for pointing these our - absolutely not; do I consider myself a decent supporter - yes I do. 

I think this post sums up why I take up my time and come on Scarlet Fever and engage with other Scarlet supporters, ( don't do any other social media)
Firstly Will Chips, what a great guy, so positive and knowledgeable(far more than me)...So PLEASE DO NOT STOP POSTING ON HERE.
The bright side, has been identified by Will with the talent he has mentioned above.
Of course, the disruption with the huge lengthy injury list may have caused us short term headaches, but its done us a favour in the long term, as we now have far more depth, particular when the experienced players return.

Secondly GPR Rochester a very fair minded , but very perceptive guy ! The comments above are spot on and accurate, as always, as blind faith, will only take you up blind alleys. I think any rational comment, has to be balanced and GPR, is excellent at this, being honest in his appraisal as well as enthusiastic.

To be fair, I don't see any lunatics on this forum. There are some people, who are understandably, frustrated and lets be fair losing to the sprays, as we just have, is one of the the worst experiences for a scarlets fan!!

Moving on to other points, you cannot fully estimate the absence of Jake Ball, and this is something that has not come up. In a physical against the O's, trench warfare, at times, Jake's total commitment and physicality was massive. Jac Price has done well, but is still learning.To that add Wynn Jones, Ken Owens, and a fit Samson, together with blade Thompson, and you have a total different looking complexion to things. Not to have josh mcloud fully fit for such a long time, also a massive blow, and he will take until next season, to be where he was before. He, blade and Kal would definitely constitute out 1st choice back row, as Josh's all round skills are superior to Lezana's , who would be brilliant, with Shings off the bench .
In the context of the above, I believe we still need a "heavy duty second" row to share the burden with sam ,Jac, morgan and fifita (who could also play 6)
I stood yer on tanner bank
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:57pm
Ian McGeechan was a 10; not a bad coach, but a while ago.
Oops, just seen he's already been named ...

Edited by Nikostratos - 03 May 2022 at 11:59pm
sreve19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sreve19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:17am
Phillipe Saint-andre
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 7:18am
One of the best current coaches around who has already spread his wings to different countries with success Ronan O'Gara. For me he could well be the next big International coach. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:16am
Mark McCall played for Ireland.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic