Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh Squad for South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

After watching Ospreys v Bulls, it's hugely concerning how the Ospreys were bullied, and generally outplayed in a match where the scoreline flattered them greatly.

Tonight they had possibly the Wales summer starting tight 5, Wales' best fit openside, an international half back pairing and Wales summer starting centre partnership potentially. 

Not Earth shattering news but we're in trouble as a nation, this summer and well beyond.
Someone who is good at Geography would spot the earth shattering but only after it happened.

If only the WRU had a competent business team running its multi-million business. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:20am
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

After watching Ospreys v Bulls, it's hugely concerning how the Ospreys were bullied, and generally outplayed in a match where the scoreline flattered them greatly.

Tonight they had possibly the Wales summer starting tight 5, Wales' best fit openside, an international half back pairing and Wales summer starting centre partnership potentially. 

Not Earth shattering news but we're in trouble as a nation, this summer and well beyond.

Spot on Hartson. Very ominous signs for Pivac with the Ospreys stuck in reverse scrumtime. Even more ominous is the fact that nobody from the Bulls front 5 will probably make the Boks starting team. Another huge area of concern for Pivac was the ease with which Hendricks controlled the midfield.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 7:49am
So Sam Wainwright has been called up to the welsh squad with Leon Brown injured. Anyone know much about this ex RGC player? What does that say about WGJ's place in the pecking order. If Tomas Francis gets a knock its not going to be pretty viewing at scrumtime. Even with a fully fit & firing first choice front row of Wyn, Ryan & Francis we are going to have our work cut out getting parity at scrum and maul. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 8:53am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

So Sam Wainwright has been called up to the welsh squad with Leon Brown injured. Anyone know much about this ex RGC player? What does that say about WGJ's place in the pecking order. If Tomas Francis gets a knock its not going to be pretty viewing at scrumtime. Even with a fully fit & firing first choice front row of Wyn, Ryan & Francis we are going to have our work cut out getting parity at scrum and maul. 

He's barely featured for Saracens outside of the championship & the premiership cup so I don't know much about him really. It does kind of remind me of the picking of Bradley Roberts really & getting him capped with a view to bringing him to Wales when its contract time.

TBH I don't think WGJ is anywhere near International standard at the minute, I have been less than impressed with him when I have seen him. I firmly have Javan as our starting TH with either Lee or WGJ benching depending on who is fit.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

He's barely featured for Saracens outside of the championship & the premiership cup so I don't know much about him really. It does kind of remind me of the picking of Bradley Roberts really & getting him capped with a view to bringing him to Wales when its contract time.

TBH I don't think WGJ is anywhere near International standard at the minute, I have been less than impressed with him when I have seen him. I firmly have Javan as our starting TH with either Lee or WGJ benching depending on who is fit.
Exactly Pivac should have capped Javan before Scotland he is much better than the alternatives of Lewis and a bloke who is about 5th choice at Saracens. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 2:02pm
Tough gig for wainwright with no premiership starts to come on vs the bomb squad, wgj or botha better options??
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 7:09am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Tough gig for wainwright with no premiership starts to come on vs the bomb squad, wgj or botha better options??

Our front row depth is pretty thin especially at tight head. Whoever understudies Francis is going to be in for a tough tour. If they stay fit Wyn, Gareth Thomas, Ryan & Lake should be ok. As Why says the best Welsh based tight head after Francis over the past  few months has been Javan so Pivac's obsession with English based players continues to undermine his statements about preparation time. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 7:38am
Couple of pieces of good news for Wales - squad is fully fit with no injury worries. Secondly Pieter Steph du Toit will not be fit for the first test. That means that two of their first choice back row will be missing - Pieter Steph & Duane Vermeulen. Possible first caps for Louw & Roos???

Wales announce their team on Thursday & I will be very interested to see if Pivac is true to his words. Firstly after the Italian debacle he admitted that from now until the World cup he would be selecting his best team available. Secondly he has always stated that his English based players are at a disadvantage due to reduced preparation time. That should mean that Tompkins, Reffell & Wainwright will not see action in the first test. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 10:14am

Couple of pieces of good news for Wales - squad is fully fit with no injury worries. Secondly Pieter Steph du Toit will not be fit for the first test. That means that two of their first choice back row will be missing - Pieter Steph & Duane Vermeulen. Possible first caps for Louw & Roos???

Wales announce their team on Thursday & I will be very interested to see if Pivac is true to his words. Firstly after the Italian debacle he admitted that from now until the World cup he would be selecting his best team available. Secondly he has always stated that his English based players are at a disadvantage due to reduced preparation time. That should mean that Tompkins, Reffell & Wainwright will not see action in the first test. 
To be fair doesn’t he have full access to the English based players for this tour as the domestic season is already over? If so, this is surely the one occasion that it makes precious little difference where the players are based. That said I, like you, have precious little confidence that we’ll see a selection that keeps to what Pivac has previously said, or that has any real chance of winning the match. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

To be fair doesn’t he have full access to the English based players for this tour as the domestic season is already over? If so, this is surely the one occasion that it makes precious little difference where the players are based. That said I, like you, have precious little confidence that we’ll see a selection that keeps to what Pivac has previously said, or that has any real chance of winning the match. 

He has had access to most English based players but the three mentioned did not join up with Wales until Sunday/Monday of last week due to their involvement in the Gallagher final so Pivac has had precious little time with them as they flew out on Thursday with Friday being recovery & hotel transfer. Sunday, as per the images was a day off so he has had no more access to those 3 than for a normal 6 nations campaign. 

Indeed if the Premiership rules were followed to the letter no English based players would have been eligible to join the squad until after the final. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 10:44am
A lot of clamour from people saying that Carre should start as he has improved his work around the park but for me is still a huge potential liability at scrum time. I think it will be Wyn, Ryan & Francis starting but wouldn't be annoyed if Lake started at 2.

In terms of lock surely it has to be Beard & Rowlands starting but then they have dragged AWJ out so that makes me think he will be in line to start. Would like to see a back row of Navidi, Reffell & Faletau but think Pivac will opt for Lydiate, Basham & Faletau.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 10:53am

He has had access to most English based players but the three mentioned did not join up with Wales until Sunday/Monday of last week due to their involvement in the Gallagher final so Pivac has had precious little time with them as they flew out on Thursday with Friday being recovery & hotel transfer. Sunday, as per the images was a day off so he has had no more access to those 3 than for a normal 6 nations campaign. 

Indeed if the Premiership rules were followed to the letter no English based players would have been eligible to join the squad until after the final. 

I think I read somewhere that the English based members of the SA squad have arrived back late. The Prem Clubs kept them until the season ended, i.e. after the Prem final.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 11:11am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I think I read somewhere that the English based members of the SA squad have arrived back late. The Prem Clubs kept them until the season ended, i.e. after the Prem final.

I also read that which is in line with the stated rules. However I know that Biggar & Faletau were in the Vale on 13th/14th June as my mate was staying there those days/nights and spoke to both.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 11:25am
If he picks Basham we’re f***ed
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 4:44pm
Wales doing ok gAreth thomas excellent boks 10 dreadful
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 4:52pm
Good performance so far. Some dubious penalties but also some professional fouls by wales. Need some possession. They are jumping into the tackle. Reffel is awesome. Another 7 on the seemingly endless conveyer belt of welsh flankers 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic