Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The positives of a merger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordcuthbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:01pm
I'd argue thats another positive. Think of the benches we could field along with squad depth
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:18pm
The volume of talent prodouced from bridgend westwards would see a merged side dominate welsh rugby in fairness
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The volume of talent prodouced from bridgend westwards would see a merged side dominate welsh rugby in fairness

But they'll  all be away with Wales for half the season. Cry
Keep the faith
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

But they'll  all be away with Wales for half the season. Cry

The players left be a better quality though. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 7:47am

There wouldn't be much to dominate.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 8:02am
I don’t see either us or the Ospreys wanting anything to do with a merger. It’s not going to happen.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I don’t see either us or the Ospreys wanting anything to do with a merger. It’s not going to happen.

The thing that makes me slightly worried is that the powers that be at Y Parc it seems were looking at a merger seriously in 2019. At that time it would have been a takeover in all but name as the Ospreys were struggling financially. The Ospreys arent vulnerable anymore but are now controlled by business people who perhaps dont really care about the Ospreys identity and if they could see profit in it they might be in favour of a merger. Businesses often merge.

Back in 2019 the word on the street was that we would still be called Scarlets, something in the back of my mind seems to remember hearing a rumour that in fact had the merger gone forward a demand of the Ospreys would have been a new name. 'If' a merger was ever to get off the ground and as Ive said the Ospreys are stronger now whilst most games would be played at Y Parc this team would have a new name no doubt.

So what concerns me is:

1. Were we seriously looking at a merger in 2019?
2. Would we look at it now when due the WRU we now have debt we didnt have then?

I think the answer to 1. is yes.

As to 2. only our board can answer that one. I hope to god that their answer would be no.

The WRU this week were at pains to point out that it was PRB (which does include a WRU member) commissioned this review. So therefore when PRB meet and decide a way forward one of the things that will have to be at least addressed is that the review suggested 3 was more financially viable than 4.

It is my understanding that there has to a majority vote on the PRB, I'm not quite sure of what that majority means. I believe theres the four regions, a WRU rep and an independent 6th member. Say they were thinking of turning on Buttress, who I know that our reps have always had a lot of respect for and that would take a 5 to 1 vote for the Dragons to be axed. I cant see that happening. So we go to the WRU and PRB say we like XYZ from the review but we're not going to entertain 3 regions. What do the WRU do then?

As far as I know the WRU have the final say on funding, what happens then? So do they say if your 3 you'll get X if your 4 you'll get Y and then put the ball back in PRB's court.

So my guess is its either PRB agree to merger or status quo prevails. what I cant see is the WRU increasing funding to the existing regions and they continue to under fund and wait until one goes bust.

I am somewhat reassured that how on earth could our board agree (whilst we are celebrating 150 years) to the culling of the Scarlets brand. Cant see that happening.

So, what do I think will come of all this? Absolutley nothing would be my guess. The only other possible outcome would be the WRU decide to cull the Dragons. That would no doubt end up in an a costly ugly legal battle, do the WRU have the appetite for that?
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

The thing that makes me slightly worried is that the powers that be at Y Parc it seems were looking at a merger seriously in 2019. At that time it would have been a takeover in all but name as the Ospreys were struggling financially. The Ospreys arent vulnerable anymore but are now controlled by business people who perhaps dont really care about the Ospreys identity and if they could see profit in it they might be in favour of a merger. Businesses often merge.

Back in 2019 the word on the street was that we would still be called Scarlets, something in the back of my mind seems to remember hearing a rumour that in fact had the merger gone forward a demand of the Ospreys would have been a new name. 'If' a merger was ever to get off the ground and as Ive said the Ospreys are stronger now whilst most games would be played at Y Parc this team would have a new name no doubt.

So what concerns me is:

2. Would we look at it now when due the WRU we now have debt we didnt have then?

As to 2. only our board can answer that one. I hope to god that their answer would be no.

The WRU this week were at pains to point out that it was PRB (which does include a WRU member) commissioned this review. So therefore when PRB meet and decide a way forward one of the things that will have to be at least addressed is that the review suggested 3 was more financially viable than 4.

It is my understanding that there has to a majority vote on the PRB, I'm not quite sure of what that majority means. I believe theres the four regions, a WRU rep and an independent 6th member. Say they were thinking of turning on Buttress, who I know that our reps have always had a lot of respect for and that would take a 5 to 1 vote for the Dragons to be axed. I cant see that happening. So we go to the WRU and PRB say we like XYZ from the review but we're not going to entertain 3 regions. What do the WRU do then?

As far as I know the WRU have the final say on funding, what happens then? So do they say if your 3 you'll get X if your 4 you'll get Y and then put the ball back in PRB's court.

So my guess is its either PRB agree to merger or status quo prevails. what I cant see is the WRU increasing funding to the existing regions and they continue to under fund and wait until one goes bust.

I am somewhat reassured that how on earth could our board agree (whilst we are celebrating 150 years) to the culling of the Scarlets brand. Cant see that happening.

So, what do I think will come of all this? Absolutley nothing would be my guess. The only other possible outcome would be the WRU decide to cull the Dragons. That would no doubt end up in an a costly ugly legal battle, do the WRU have the appetite for that?

The fact that Rupert Moon has been appointed to the board as a "Heritage Director"would tend to suggest,I believe, that the answer to 2 is "Yes".
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 11:48am
If we merge i’d guess the team would be called west wales, the wru could cull the dragons easily as they own them?

Edited by RR1972 - 08 May 2022 at 11:48am
Llanelliman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 3:16pm
The demise of Welsh rugby. If any reduction from 4 to 3 !!!!!!
Again, the town of Llanelli does not fully understand the importance of this great Club to the existence and further history of Llanelli………
Made in Seaside, Llanelli
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

So what concerns me is:

The fact that Rupert Moon has been appointed to the board as a "Heritage Director"would tend to suggest,I believe, that the answer to 2 is "Yes".

Christ he’s had some jobs based on who he is. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

So what concerns me is:

Don't think it's a salaried post this time, but in general you are correct
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 6:51pm

So what concerns me is:

Based on who he was.
Joking jobs.One day he might have to work for a living.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 08 May 2022 at 7:03pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:39pm

Originally posted by SVD SVD wrote:

…and? Don’t understand

Everyone goes on about rugby at different levels yet no one goes to watch Llanelli. It’s hypocritical. 
You keep going on about this on the forum like a stick to beat people with,llanelli were the team we all followed before regions they were the top team we could follow at that time as i've said before when you knock attendance that it is easy if you live a hop,skip and a jump away from the venue llanelli rfc are now a lower tier side so why should we make the trek to watch them?personally i follow ammanford rfc which like you with llanelli i can walk to and stumble home from so please change the record on that one.Thumbs Up
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 7:28am
I find it impossible to even contemplate a merger until I can get a handle on the financial implications. Just getting rid of a region surely is going to result in a legal challenge. At this stage only Cardiff seem to have been ring fenced from any pain - why?

Now if the WRU came out and stated that we were going to create two merged entities East Wales Blue Dragons & West Wales Scarlet Budgies which would receive a guaranteed £9m per annum each and their under 23/academies would also get funding of £1m each per annum then, at least, that would be something we could see some benefit in. The current scheme appears to cut a team & cut the funding which gives everyone precisely nothing. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:15am
Cardiff are guranteed stand alone status because err they are tge capital city.  Don!t own their ground, have poor results and don’t bring many players through for wales, but err capital cityWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic