Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wru and their secrecy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wru and their secrecy
    Posted: 11 May 2022 at 9:58am
Why is everything so cloak and dagger with this lot? We have 38 players on these dual contracts why don’t they release a full list? We are told there are various issues in place in order to get more funding? Well what are they?  How is this hotel of theirs doing? The lack of openess really annoys me, it’s like some kind of secret society, all whispers and rumors

Edited by RR1972 - 11 May 2022 at 10:01am
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:05am
TBH We are the laughing stock of world rugby compared to other unions.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:13am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Why is everything so cloak and dagger with this lot? We have 38 players on these dual contracts why don’t they release a full list? We are told there are various issues in place in order to get more funding? Well what are they?  How is this hotel of theirs doing? The lack of openess really annoys me, it’s like some kind of secret society, all whispers and rumors

Clap
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:13pm
Nigel walker on scrum v talking rubbish basically saying nothing other than “we need to work together” with no actual detail
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:42am
There was an article in Wales on line which inferred that the hotel deal was a form of JV which involved borrowing the capital over 40 years and which after repayments of capital and interest and management costs left an annual surplus of £1m. If that is true a good bit of business which delivers a new revenue stream  but also raises the question if the CVC money  didn’t go to fund the hotel where did it go.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:03am
Walker spouting garbage, hook pulled him on the age group thing he had no answers. The wru owns the land so the hotel is renting off the wru? And not a wru penny has been spent? In which case they will only be paying rent not any profit? Sorry but i don’t think for a second that is what is happening his “facts” are all over the shop.  The wru must be paying for it in some shape or form if they are getting income from it Next the wru are investing just 1 per cent less of their annual turn over on pro rugby than ireland? Total nonsense again the man is out of his depth

Edited by RR1972 - 23 May 2022 at 10:06am
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:27am
If he was saying the truth about the hotel not costing them anything as they owned the property and the land, then why not just sell it for a premium (if land in Cardiff is at a premium) and just lease all that equity and plough it into the grassroots and regional game, instead of just holding onto it and make up to £1 m per year
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:44am
Exactly , who rents a hotel then gives the landlords the profit? Total bunkum
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:26pm
Still the question of if the CVC money  hasn’t gone in the hotel what it is being used for?
I haven’t worked on a hotel based schemes of this type but have on residential and retail ones and they can work but whilst they take out some of the risk and the need to pump in your own capital they will because of fees commissions other parties cuts interest etc usually give a lower return than doing it yourself and if it doesn’t work out you are still obligated to pay off the borrowing back . Perhaps compare it to taking out a mortgage to purchase a buy to let property as long as you have a tenant and rent exceeds borrowing costs and other expenses you are ok but if you have long term voids or unexpected costs and take a financial hit on income you still need to repay the mortgage.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 8:01am
ClapOur man stef doing a great job on scrum v podcast
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 5:20pm
An interesting discussion but for change to happen we need the turkeys at the WRU to vote for Christmas.
Keep the faith
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 7:51pm
The Ed Sheeran concerts were packed out 3 nights in a row it would be interesting to see how much that made the WRU and how much better position they will be in to pay the regions a bit.

If the WRU could secure a 3 night concert every month I think we could reinstate the Celtic Warriors ( not serious about that bit )
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

ClapOur man stef doing a great job on scrum v podcast

Seconded, both Steff and Huw did an excellent job and quite importantly pitched it at the right level, glad that steff corrected Gareth Rhys Owen a few times because he's quite frustrating to listen to.

Coombs wins the worst idea award hands down for the East and West regions and the set up of them, so many holes in his idea don't know where to start.

Being polite Gareth Rhys Owen really isn't my cup of tea, overrates his comedy abilities, has strong opinions on the most insignificant aspects and shoe horns impartiality in without seemingly understanding the other contributors points.

Really unsure on Walker too, he's a calm articulate speaker and I'm hoping he's going to bring more to the party than just being a well spoken mouthpiece for the WRU.

Personally on the whole topic I'd agree on the WRU lacking any clear goals and strategy across the whole game in Wales, and that the focus should be on rugby and utilising the existing infrastructures to their maximum but if there was 1 thing I could do it would be to address the massive imbalance in the prioritisation of the national team above all else.

Player release should simply be an agreed fee in my view for games and training, the 80/20's are way too comfy all round and there needs to be more pressure both on players to perform and teams to produce international players and less time discussing contracts and funding with the WRU. The amount of time spent around the table with the WRU must be ridiculous, it's time that could be better spend doing virtually anything else.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:37am
I don’t mind the national team being the main focus, that is the flagship and the main income generator. What gets me is how any sensible union can’t see the way to get a strong test team is a strong pro game undepinned by a strong grass roots game. The wru is watching as our regions get worse year on year, less and less people play junior rugby and clubs and player base shrink.  Never mind hotels get good coaches into the schools and age group sides, get elite coaches into the regions , pay big money for a few top level nwq players, get all the best wq players into the regions and see where the gaps in the welsh test team are abd target uncapped nwq for those slots. Cutting the regions and cutting your player base will make the test team weaker not stronger
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:06am
Yeah I get it being the main focus, my problem is the extent to which it is.

The game in Wales is so disjointed at all levels and there's so much within our control to address it.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:30am
The wru pile so many test games in they want fans to see it almost as their club or regional team, i think it’s done on purpose tbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic