Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europe next Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe next Season
    Posted: 11 May 2022 at 9:49pm
I see it's only 4 rounds in the group stages again, and seems like the home/away KO round has been killed off too.

All the group fixtures in the depths of winter doesn't help our style of play - or make for a nice away trip Cry
In the good old 3 home/ 3 away days, we used to have 2 rounds in late October when the weather was a bit better.

2022/23 weekends
Round 1 – 9/10/11 December 2022
Round 2 – 16/17/18 December 2022
Round 3 – 13/14/15 January 2023
Round 4 – 20/21/22 January 2023

Round of 16 – 31 March/ 1/2 April 2023
Quarter-finals – 7/8/9 April 2023
Semi-finals – 28/29/30 April 2023
EPCR Challenge Cup final – Friday 19 May 2023
Heineken Champions Cup final – Saturday 20 May 2023

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 9:57pm
European rugby is more or less dead. Not because we aren't particularly good anymore. It's just a closed shop with the same old teams with huge budgets in the semi finals every year.

Different nations having different salary caps in their leagues and having to use the same squads in Europe is ludicrous. It's 2022 and rugby union is absolutely ridiculous considering it's a professional sport.

Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

European rugby is more or less dead. Not because we aren't particularly good anymore. It's just a closed shop with the same old teams with huge budgets in the semi finals every year.

Different nations having different salary caps in their leagues and having to use the same squads in Europe is ludicrous. It's 2022 and rugby union is absolutely ridiculous considering it's a professional sport.

Totally agree. This is one of the reasons Welsh rugby is not successful. Big cities, major investors, huge crowds we’ll never be able to compare with that apart from the odd year when the magic happens for whatever reason. We’ll never be consistent in that arena. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I see it's only 4 rounds in the group stages again, and seems like the home/away KO round has been killed off too.

All the group fixtures in the depths of winter doesn't help our style of play - or make for a nice away trip Cry
In the good old 3 home/ 3 away days, we used to have 2 rounds in late October when the weather was a bit better.

2022/23 weekends

The ridiculous thing is this format only saves one weekend over the old format. Utterly mind boggling that they’ve wrecked the group stages just to save one weekend. Part of the appeal of Europe was that you were guaranteed to play at least one English and one French side home and away (while maintaining a format that doesn’t take 2 hours to understand!). And to think EPCR was formed because the old ECR wasn’t considered professional and competent enough!
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

2022/23 weekends

The ridiculous thing is this format only saves one weekend over the old format. Utterly mind boggling that they’ve wrecked the group stages just to save one weekend. Part of the appeal of Europe was that you were guaranteed to play at least one English and one French side home and away (while maintaining a format that doesn’t take 2 hours to understand!). And to think EPCR was formed because the old ECR wasn’t considered professional and competent enough!
Not trying to be pedantic, as i obviously prefer the old format because it involves more pool games, but this current format does guarantee playing a French and English side home and away, while making it impossible to play against other URC team in the pool stages.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

2022/23 weekends

Not trying to be pedantic, as i obviously prefer the old format because it involves more pool games, but this current format does guarantee playing a French and English side home and away, while making it impossible to play against other URC team in the pool stages.
Not pedantic at all. A meaningful benefit. 

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:03pm
Also worth noting that if i've worked it out currently: 
Original format had a 67 game total.
Current format with H/A round of 16 has a 73 game total.
Removing that H/A but keepiing Ro16 has a 63 game total.

So maybe the TV companies have been convinced that 4 less games is probably worth it if the Ro16 is better value for money and viewership that the dead rubber pool games.

Edited by minded - 11 May 2022 at 11:05pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:13pm

So maybe the TV companies have been convinced that 4 less games is probably worth it if the Ro16 is better value for money and viewership that the dead rubber pool games.
Round of 16 is an ok addition. But it comes at the cost of a guaranteed home fixture and the much needed revenue that accompanies that
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:33pm
It suits the big ckubs best this way i’d guess

Edited by RR1972 - 12 May 2022 at 8:46am
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:56am

Round of 16 is an ok addition. But it comes at the cost of a guaranteed home fixture and the much needed revenue that accompanies that
My point was more that despite BT Sport at one point sponsoring our jersey, and then the barn, they don't really give a toss about clubs at our level if they can get 63 games of better quality than 67.
They just care for the product.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:12am

My point was more that despite BT Sport at one point sponsoring our jersey, and then the barn, they don't really give a toss about clubs at our level if they can get 63 games of better quality than 67.
That’s no surprise, is it?

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:06am
I think I would prefer a seeded draw in the round of 16, then a non seeded draw from there. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:17am

That’s what I was thinking. The whole point of a broadcaster is people wanting to watch them. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:23am
Was chatting with an esteemed colleague yesterday and he burped out this stat:

Value of our season ticket at Scarlets-

A few years ago:
11 home league games
3 European home games
2 Anglo Welsh games
TOTAL - 16

Next season:
9 league home games
2 European home games
TOTAL: 11

If my dodgy maths is correct, that is a reduction in guaranteed home games of 32 %.

Has this been raised at Crys meetings? Is this the continued direction of travel? Are we just content with this as a club? Do supporters have a say?

Edited by KID A - 12 May 2022 at 11:23am
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:44am
Wish we could have the old, Heineken format of years ago back, 6 games home and away. It worked better I feel. Some fantastic Stradey nights too. 

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:48am

Removing that H/A but keeping Ro16 has a 63 game total.

No it's not, my point is that they're not going to care less so it looks like the new format is here to stay despite how much i'd prefer 6 pool games.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic