Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next Conservative leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 63>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

What would you protest with regards to the Ukraine - Russia war? Would you stand with Corbyn and say no to supporting Ukraine or would you protest outside the Russian embassy against their actions? It doesn't strike me as being the same as the Iraq or Afghanistan wars where the US had a particular agenda and Blair took us in making all sorts of wild and untrue claims. There was a clear and obvious reason to protest those wars. Personally I was dead against them. I surmised that they were imperialist campaigns to secure access to resources. The present war appears to me to be one where Ukraine has for the most part turned Westward facing and Russia is trying to spank them back into line. I'm honestly of the opinion that this is a war NATO ought to enter and put to an end - drive Russia back behind their borders and then start talking about peace.

Agree with you TBS - I have been a bit flummoxed by calls for protest - protest at what? I don't think even this bunch of toss..rs masquerading as a cabinet could be accused of sitting on the fence on this one so why would we protest????? Protest outside the Russian embassy will have zero impact. 
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Observer led with it, as it was their exclusive, BBC buried it down the list. 

One step at a time but a new, elected second chamber also paves the way to introduce more PR. I am likewise sick of votes counting more depending where you live and the result is apathy towards even bothering voting in the first place. Suiting the two main parties just fine but one of them needs to think long term for a change.

Thanks for that Dr M, the fact that it’s not deemed newsworthy by the BBC explains why I hadn’t seen it.

I've generally defended the BBC but have started to view their political journalists as inherently Tory leaning (Kuenssberg, Neil, Marr, Robinson... clearly all are Conservatives let's face it). They never seem to grill the Conservative MPs/ministers the way they do Labour representatives, most notably over the economy and financial capability, despite evidence to the contrary. Labour really struggles to get their policies heard, some of their recent suggestions were in fact adopted by the Conservative Government, and then they get criticised for "presenting no alternative". Tough gig being in opposition to both the current Government and majority of the UK media.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 1:31pm
To put it another way, if they aren't good for or with the economy then what do the Conservatives offer? To me, this is their biggest lie of all but they are fully integrated with business and the media to protect this myth.

For example, if Labour had done what they have for the last 12 years they would be utterly destroyed by the media. We even had the front page of the Daily Mail proclaiming "At last, a true Tory budget" for Truss/Kwarteng's actions that will go down in history as an economic disaster. 

You'd think supporting Hitler would have ended this publication but no, they had to go one better. 

(Joking of course! I mean two better).

Anyway, I'm not fixated on one publication either: but the impact of our media is still there and it is predominantly right-wing pro-Conservative.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 2:17pm

To put it another way, if they aren't good for or with the economy then what do the Conservatives offer? To me, this is their biggest lie of all but they are fully integrated with business and the media to protect this myth.

For example, if Labour had done what they have for the last 12 years they would be utterly destroyed by the media. We even had the front page of the Daily Mail proclaiming "At last, a true Tory budget" for Truss/Kwarteng's actions that will go down in history as an economic disaster. 

You'd think supporting Hitler would have ended this publication but no, they had to go one better. 

(Joking of course! I mean two better).

Anyway, I'm not fixated on one publication either: but the impact of our media is still there and it is predominantly right-wing pro-Conservative.

100%
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 2:41pm
Really interesting comment in an opinion piece in the Guardian yesterday that the Tories now face something of an identity crisis. What exactly are they for now? They've spent decades fighting over Europe before the euro-sceptic faction finally won out. Most of them are libertarians but chose a spender in Johnson but suffered him for his election cachet before they could stomach him no more. They tried the arch libertarians Truss and Kwarteng only for that to blow up in their faces and are now stuck with a fiscal conservative in Sunak. I guess one very good question following Brexit was "what now?" The Tories certainly don't seem to agree what the answer is.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2022 at 7:04pm
Not sure if anyone read Starmer's comments on immigration from his speech? He's had a ringing endorsment from none other than Nigel Farage who says that Labour are now to the right of the Tories on immigration. What an age in which to be alive eh ...

Edited by totallybiasedscarlet - 22 November 2022 at 7:05pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2022 at 7:11pm
Just for context Mark Drakeford, when asked about Welsh Independence, described Nationalism as "an inherently right wing creed." He also once described Welsh speaking communities as "Poujadist." I've always been against Toryism but every so often I'm reminded why I've never voted Labour either. Trying to park their tanks on Tory lawns whilst their venerable Welsh leader accuses those of us who want a Welsh Democracy of being a bunch of rotten right-wingers. Sticks in my craw a little that see ...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 7:41am

Just for context Mark Drakeford, when asked about Welsh Independence, described Nationalism as "an inherently right wing creed." He also once described Welsh speaking communities as "Poujadist." I've always been against Toryism but every so often I'm reminded why I've never voted Labour either. Trying to park their tanks on Tory lawns whilst their venerable Welsh leader accuses those of us who want a Welsh Democracy of being a bunch of rotten right-wingers. Sticks in my craw a little that see ...

And there we have it TBS - which way to turn. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Sadly my own party is a complete mess at the moment. Poor leadership allowing bad behaviour to go under the radar and bad candidates getting elected. Every Senedd term we have a problem with one of our elected members ... Mohamed Ashgar, Dafydd Ellis-Thomas, Simon Thomas, Neil McEvoy. Party procedures are not fit for purpose, pitiful numbers on the membership front and our broader policy offering is wishy washy, superficial progressive wish list stuff. Don't get me started on Education or we'll be here for months! LOL 

I'm quite jaded at the moment. There's good and bad in all parties but our political culture seems to be in a right hole at the moment. I think it's the fact that the UK is now so dysfunctional it just creates conflict. This is why I've shifted my emphasis towards reforming Britain and looking at a new union on different terms i.e. a Confederation of British Nation States. I want positive ideas for improvement instead of destructive finger pointing and defining oneselves by what we hate rather than by what we want to achieve.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:24am
Interesting outcome in Scottish independence....so in a nut shell we now live in dictatorship ruled by Westminster....The claim that they have had once in a generation vote is totally irrelevant since Scotland was ripped out Europe by Westminster , even after the country voted to stay by 62%...
To add to this fact that we have had 3 Tory governments but only one election ,and the 2nd one had no mandate to decide as to what route the country was going to follow .....I heard on the radio this morning some describe the scenario as a wife needing her father in law's permission to get divorced , and all because Westminster do not want to lose the mineral wealth of a country ...the people are just an inconvenient infection 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:42am
On a side issue regarding Qatar , I couldn't believe their influence. I've listed just some British organisations that have Qatar investment 
Barclays
Volkswagon
Barclays
Canary wharf
Sainsbury
Harrods
Claridges
International airline
Chelsea barracks
London Olympic village
London park lane hotel
The Shard
Shell
Hyde park
USA embassy london

So obviously any politician who now speaks out against the qatary government, might have some skeletons in their voting history

Interesting times

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:53am

Sadly my own party is a complete mess at the moment. Poor leadership allowing bad behaviour to go under the radar and bad candidates getting elected. Every Senedd term we have a problem with one of our elected members ... Mohamed Ashgar, Dafydd Ellis-Thomas, Simon Thomas, Neil McEvoy. Party procedures are not fit for purpose, pitiful numbers on the membership front and our broader policy offering is wishy washy, superficial progressive wish list stuff. Don't get me started on Education or we'll be here for months! LOL 

I'm quite jaded at the moment. There's good and bad in all parties but our political culture seems to be in a right hole at the moment. I think it's the fact that the UK is now so dysfunctional it just creates conflict. This is why I've shifted my emphasis towards reforming Britain and looking at a new union on different terms i.e. a Confederation of British Nation States. I want positive ideas for improvement instead of destructive finger pointing and defining oneselves by what we hate rather than by what we want to achieve.

Positive constructive ideas are always best. Sadly our politics is so advesorial ,particularly  at Westminster.
Confederation of British Nation States, and a different type of democracy is definitely  worth a look.
Do'nt think Plaid is in good shape I agree.
Not long ago, they, selected and imposed a candidate in Llanelli in the general election, not agreed by local members, which caused outrage.
Lot of people left, and one now sits as an Independant Councillor. 
Of this tends to happen in other parties too.Not good.

Drakeford has had his critics, but I think has done a good job.
He is generally  a sensible guy, and we needed that during pandemic.
Regarding positivity, whether you support world cup or not, at least he has gone there with good intent to boost Wales..and  we need it ATM
As I indicated in other thread, there is little chance of changes minds regarding  moral and ethical  issues in Qatar, and this is another  argument. 
Qatar have huge influence  ,and are  financially  intertwined with so many institutions  in UK.
They will most definitely  be filling the void left the Russian gas deficit.
Not a satisfactory  situation all round.We should be now investing  in clean renewable  energy  now , not importing from dodgy  foreign  countries. I despair when I see the results from COP.
What  world are we passing in to our children ?
I stood yer on tanner bank
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Positive constructive ideas are always best. Sadly our politics is so advesorial ,particularly  at Westminster.
Confederation of British Nation States, and a different type of democracy is definitely  worth a look.
Do'nt think Plaid is in good shape I agree.
Not long ago, they, selected and imposed a candidate in Llanelli in the general election, not agreed by local members, which caused outrage.
Lot of people left, and one now sits as an Independant Councillor. 
Of this tends to happen in other parties too.Not good.

Drakeford has had his critics, but I think has done a good job.
He is generally  a sensible guy, and we needed that during pandemic.
Regarding positivity, whether you support world cup or not, at least he has gone there with good intent to boost Wales..and  we need it ATM
As I indicated in other thread, there is little chance of changes minds regarding  moral and ethical  issues in Qatar, and this is another  argument. 
Qatar have huge influence  ,and are  financially  intertwined with so many institutions  in UK.
They will most definitely  be filling the void left the Russian gas deficit.
Not a satisfactory  situation all round.We should be now investing  in clean renewable  energy  now , not importing from dodgy  foreign  countries. I despair when I see the results from COP.
What  world are we passing in to our children ?

Pimp - how long have we been talking about the need for clean energy???? What positive actions are we really taking which could be described as seismic???? A friend of mine recently moved into our village and renovated his new home. When faced with the choice of a new oil boiler or something green he spent a lot of time trying to find serious alternatives which would not cost him too much more - result nothing. If this government were really serious about climate change any person who needed a new gas/oil boiler in the past 10 years would have been offered serious incentives to go green. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 1:12pm
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/23/scottish-independence-supreme-court-scottish-parliament-second-referendum-indyref2

Well that is the death knell for the Union. If folk in Scotland were prevaricating over the Union, it is now abundantly clear that no matter what mandate they give their elected representatives, Westminster alone can grant their democratic wish and by virtue of the numbers, it is in the gift of England's MP's (usually Tory) to give. Ergo this is NOT a voluntary union. This is not even a functioning democracy. The UK govt has completely shot itself in the foot here. Had they allowed a referendum there was every chance the SNP would have lost it and that really would have been the end of the matter for decades. Now the SNP will make the next election a de facto referendum with every chance of getting a majority of the Scottish vote and precipitating a constitutional crisis. Labour look the likely next UK Govt. Good luck dealing with the economy, Europe and the break up of the UK in one Parliament! Now is the time for Labour to offer a Confederal Union of British Nation States. Put a positive vision and realistic compromise forward otherwise fiddle as the UK burns.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 1:52pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/23/scottish-independence-supreme-court-scottish-parliament-second-referendum-indyref2

Well that is the death knell for the Union. If folk in Scotland were prevaricating over the Union, it is now abundantly clear that no matter what mandate they give their elected representatives, Westminster alone can grant their democratic wish and by virtue of the numbers, it is in the gift of England's MP's (usually Tory) to give. Ergo this is NOT a voluntary union. This is not even a functioning democracy. The UK govt has completely shot itself in the foot here. Had they allowed a referendum there was every chance the SNP would have lost it and that really would have been the end of the matter for decades. Now the SNP will make the next election a de facto referendum with every chance of getting a majority of the Scottish vote and precipitating a constitutional crisis. Labour look the likely next UK Govt. Good luck dealing with the economy, Europe and the break up of the UK in one Parliament! Now is the time for Labour to offer a Confederal Union of British Nation States. Put a positive vision and realistic compromise forward otherwise fiddle as the UK burns.

Catchy. If it had an amusing acronym I'd be 100% supportive. How about: British Union Member States.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 3:13pm

Catchy. If it had an amusing acronym I'd be 100% supportive. How about: British Union Member States.

British Archipegalo Territory Member Accession Nations?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 63>
  Share Topic