Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next Conservative leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 63>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

On the environmental front, the big issues appear to me to be:

1. Greenhouse gases
2. Habitat & biodiversity loss
3. Air pollution
4. Microplastics
5. PFOA's (non-stick coatings)

These amount to the "tragedy of the commons" problem and represent a colossal failure of governance globally. It's not just social and economic inequality that our economic and political models have failed on ... it's the "commons" too. We've allowed big business to s##t in the collective pool to the point that we're now living in our own filth. Of course, environmental breakdown and economic/social inequality go hand in hand very often. It's always the poorest that suffer first and most. Just look at how environmental degradation has affected different civilisations over the course of history. We should be highly animated wrt this issue.

I think you have a good list there - 1 and 3 are probably the same. 4 would include all plastics and synthetics. Unsure about PFOAs actually, new to me. I may look into that.

I'm pretty gloomy about this topic based on er, all of human history, but I particularly am sceptical that too many are banking on a "magic bullet", that is a new technology that solves the problem. Whilst of course new, greenER (note the ER as nothing is completely green) technologies will be very useful the danger here is that it ignores reductionism or societal changes which I believe are also required and in fact, if implemented world wide, would make a much bigger difference faster. Magic bullets are essentially the result of money and how our society works: Governments want a new technology that is worth money and creates jobs etc. Telling people to do less of things loses money and jobs and makes them unpopular, not least when industry is also financing political parties. This is why I am not positive. Take driving. We can easily point out there are too many cars driving at present, contributing to issues above. Solutions proposed are rarely "don't drive", instead we're being told electric cars represent the future. There are understandable reasons why this is, of course, but those reasons don't matter at all in terms of the actual consequences. You can also see that technological advances have indeed improved one set of issues but typically create new, unforeseen ones. 

As a disclaimer I am a research chemist so live in a state of endless guilt and inner conflict about these issues but I'd end with a positive message: look at the story of CFCs. It can be done. It's strange this isn't referenced much, perhaps because the solution was a reductionism approach and that the problem was isolated to a single set of chemicals. Climate change is a lot more complex and linked to incredibly sensitive subjects such as quality of life and even global human population.

I tend to look at air pollution as SO2 and particulates etc. PFOA's are nasty insofar as they are very difficult to break down. They're widely prevalent, even in the water supply. A number of public health stories have begun to come out in the media about them.

Totally agree with your post, particularly the example of cars. We have a transport paradigm that for decades now has been totally car centric. It's been so long that when anyone suggests a different model people balk at it and struggle to conceive of how any alternative could even work. In the end, as you allude to, I can only see that we need an entirely new socio-economic paradigm. One that eschews consumption as a means to generate wealth, one that can accomodate goods with long lifespans, folk able to live a good life within y filltir sgwâr where long distance commuting is a thing of the past. So community based, circular economy, low carbon industries, homes built to energy positive standards and a decentralized grid. On top of that, we have to change our land use. We need to look at tech such as precision fermentation to reduce our need for grazing land and return it to a wild state. Politically explosive in Wales as agriculture is so closely linked to Cymraeg so back to the start ... community based solutions that fireproof communities on an environmental, economic and cultural level.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 6:42pm
Just seen this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-63781530 

Plaid has serious problems at the moment. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 7:21pm
Sounds as if they are copying Tory tactics
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 7:54pm
Must admit mick lynch has grown on me, very impressive union boss
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Must admit mick lynch has grown on me, very impressive union boss

Indeed. That's some contrast between him and the current Labour leadership. Consistently lands his punches.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 8:53am
Just had a play with this: https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33.7&LAB=40&LIB=15.8&Reform=2.1&Green=2.8&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=14.3&SCOTLAB=30.7&SCOTLIB=6.7&SCOTReform=0.6&SCOTGreen=1.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=43.7&display=AllChanged&regorseat=%28none%29&boundary=2019nbbase

Just a bit of political nerd fun but I came up with this:

Party2019 Votes2019 SeatsPred VotesGainsLossesNet ChangePred Seats
CON44.7%37533.7%0119-119256
LAB33.0%19840.0%1050+105303
LIB11.8%815.8%110+1119
Reform2.1%02.1%00+00
Green2.8%12.8%00+01
SNP4.0%484.3%66+048
PlaidC0.5%20.8%20+24
Other1.1%00.6%10+11
N.Ire 18 00+018

I wonder what you other political geeks might come up with Wink
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 8:59am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Just had a play with this: https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33.7&LAB=40&LIB=15.8&Reform=2.1&Green=2.8&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=14.3&SCOTLAB=30.7&SCOTLIB=6.7&SCOTReform=0.6&SCOTGreen=1.7&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=43.7&display=AllChanged&regorseat=%28none%29&boundary=2019nbbase

Just a bit of political nerd fun but I came up with this:

Party2019 Votes2019 SeatsPred VotesGainsLossesNet ChangePred Seats
CON44.7%37533.7%0119-119256
LAB33.0%19840.0%1050+105303
LIB11.8%815.8%110+1119
Reform2.1%02.1%00+00
Green2.8%12.8%00+01
SNP4.0%484.3%66+048
PlaidC0.5%20.8%20+24
Other1.1%00.6%10+11
N.Ire 18 00+018

I wonder what you other political geeks might come up with Wink

Hell of a swing if that happens. I expect Labour will win but I see around 20-30 majority over conservatives which would make them susceptible to machinations of the SNP & Lib Dems. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 9:00am
Yeah, I think there'll be a big swing but they need an even bigger swing than Blair managed in order to get a working majority. I think we're in hung parliament territory.

All of which points to huge ramifications for the future of the UK.

Edited by totallybiasedscarlet - 04 December 2022 at 9:01am
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 3:17pm
The Tories should be obliterated for giving us Truss. And the corruption and decline of public services they have overseen. Why these points are not being hammered home I'm not sure. They deliberately made someone who's nickname was "the human hand grenade" the Prime Minister, yet Sunak had the audacity to claim inflation and borrowing would be worse under Labour! They should disgust the whole population for what they have done.

Also, SNP get 48 seats off 4% of the vote, Lib Dems only 8 off 12%... Our system simply is very unfair.

No increase for Greens either? Disappointing considering current issues we face, young people should get out and vote!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 3:27pm
Agree with you. There'll be some shy Tory voters though still. And because of FPTP it'll be mainly Labour picking up votes and partly Lib Dems in the Shires. We really need PR. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 5:48pm
zawari claiming today the strikes are wrong because putin wants them? arent they embarassed to spout such complete and utter drivel?
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 10:00pm
You should know by now that the Tories blame everyone else for everything that goes wrong on their watch.  We’ve had Putin and the death of the Queen to blame for everything that happened under Truss.  Wink 
The health boards are to blame for the state of the NHS, the nursing homes were responsible for accepting covid positive patients (from hospitals) at the start of the pandemic.  
The trade unions are responsible for the strikes, how dare they stand up for workers who want and desperately need a decent salary to survive on, it’s nothing to do with the fact that nearly all of the strikers work in industries that were government owned and were sold off (too cheaply in most cases) to private companies/equity firms, even overseas companies, who will happily pay out huge dividends to shareholders and board members, but refuse to acknowledge workers rights.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 7:41am

zawari claiming today the strikes are wrong because putin wants them? arent they embarassed to spout such complete and utter drivel?

As a striker this was news to me but "Dr Martinov" was always suspicious. 

This is infantile really, "if you disagree with me you're a Nazi/Communist/Fascist" type approach but I think you pointed out this is their standard strategy: scapegoat and say something extreme to divert attention. 

The strikes are due to underfunding. Staff are underpaid and overworked. "The money isn't there" counter-argument isn't quite the whole story: you are the Government, if it isn't there, what have you spent it on instead? If it is the result of Truss, then isn't this all your fault? 

Answers we will never get (although we know, "the rich" and "yes" are correct) and Zawari's comment aims to change discussion focus on to how stupid he is. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 7:44am
I think an interesting flashpoint ahead is when the first energy bills come in this winter and then we hear of the energy companies profits. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 10:01am
The energy companies and utilities have got to be renationalized and labour need to make a cast iron promise of this. Id do something similar with the trains and BT too. BT d not belong in the free market as they own the phone lines. Oh and lest we forget the frankly insane railways Hs2 project now coming in at over £100 billion
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 12:26pm

The energy companies and utilities have got to be renationalized and labour need to make a cast iron promise of this. Id do something similar with the trains and BT too. BT d not belong in the free market as they own the phone lines. Oh and lest we forget the frankly insane railways Hs2 project now coming in at over £100 billion

Of which Wales gets zero% whilst Scotland gets a Barnett Consequential. We should be getting £5Bn because of HS2. Imagine what that could do for Welsh transport! North-South rail link, A470 dualled, 3rd Menai crossing, freight connections to the ports. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 63>
  Share Topic