Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next Conservative leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 63>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The energy companies and utilities have got to be renationalized and labour need to make a cast iron promise of this. Id do something similar with the trains and BT too. BT d not belong in the free market as they own the phone lines. Oh and lest we forget the frankly insane railways Hs2 project now coming in at over £100 billion

Of which Wales gets zero% whilst Scotland gets a Barnett Consequential. We should be getting £5Bn because of HS2. Imagine what that could do for Welsh transport! North-South rail link, A470 dualled, 3rd Menai crossing, freight connections to the ports. 

Exactly. But don't despair that 100 billion means you can get from Bristol to London 15 minutes quicker ??🙄
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 11:54pm
I've just read the Gordon Brown report and its proposals for the UK Constitution. My God. My swear per minute score broke the meter. Jesus wept, I've never read such bilge in my life. At some point I'll get round to a measured critique but I'll just say this ... I genuinely yearn for the end of both the Tories and Labour dominance of British politics. As many Scots say, two cheeks of the same ar$3.

Edited by totallybiasedscarlet - 05 December 2022 at 11:55pm
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 2:21am

I've just read the Gordon Brown report and its proposals for the UK Constitution. My God. My swear per minute score broke the meter. Jesus wept, I've never read such bilge in my life. At some point I'll get round to a measured critique but I'll just say this ... I genuinely yearn for the end of both the Tories and Labour dominance of British politics. As many Scots say, two cheeks of the same ar$3.

Tells us more about it. Précis.

I stood yer on tanner bank
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 8:09am

Why cant they take care of the basics first, tax and regulate the monopolies properly, END non doms and get back 4 billion per annum, just close the loopholes....If these greedy corporations really want to take their jobs abroad to avoid taxes then get lost I say...Theyre NOT contributing to the treasury and the public services anyway so why would we really miss them? All they do is suck all the wealth out f the country and destroy our town centres....

Then tax the energy companies properly or better still start renationalising..Are the likes of shell really going to pull up their oil rigs half a mile beneath the ocean that take years to build and cost billions?

We cant be held to ransom like this...We need a far better balanced economy not one at the mercy of a few greedy billionaires and their shareholders

The economy will readjust and we can go back to sme's who actually pay taxes and employ local people and supply local products and services...They also need to re-establish the monopolies and mergers commission which was dismantled by george gideon osbourne...who left soon after to run a company paying peanuts in tax
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 8:26am
It's here for anyone who has the time and inclination to read it:

I'll post a more coherent and calm opinion on it later. I'm still stewing over it. It really does fall so short of what's needed. It touches on the problems then completely fails to come up with workable solutions and proposes contradictory and incoherent ideas along with dollops of paternalism and sanctimony. I'm getting worked up again ... I'm going to leave it there for a bit.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 8:59am

I'll post a more coherent and calm opinion on it later. I'm still stewing over it. It really does fall so short of what's needed. It touches on the problems then completely fails to come up with workable solutions and proposes contradictory and incoherent ideas along with dollops of paternalism and sanctimony. I'm getting worked up again ... I'm going to leave it there for a bit.

I mean this in the nicest possible way TBS but you really crack me up. In a World of passive acceptance of mediocrity in our rugby teams & politics your passion stands out. Keep it up. Ouch
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 10:54am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I mean this in the nicest possible way TBS but you really crack me up. In a World of passive acceptance of mediocrity in our rugby teams & politics your passion stands out. Keep it up. Ouch

I can't stand ineptitude. It riles me. I don't think it does me any good though LOL
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 3:07pm
I think that a lot of the notions put forward by Gordon Brown are things that Labour want to try and achieve in office.  I don’t believe that these are their priorities, the first thing they will do is chase those windfall gains and non doms.  
They will need to be given time to take stock of the government purse (the Tories harp on about the Labour Party leaving the treasury empty, it looks like this Tory government may be leaving the next government with just a massive black hole), before deciding on their priorities- which will be dictated by finances at their disposal.  It’s unfair for people to criticise them for a lack of clarity about their plans and their ability to fund these plans, when they have no idea of the state of the treasury coffers, due to the lack of transparency with the current regime and the fact that the finances could be in an even worse position than they currently are.
I do wish that they would clarify their stance on whether they support the unions and whether Labour MPs should be allowed to support picketing, this dilly dallying is playing right into Sunak’s hands (labour paymasters etc).
The unions have been standing up for their workers rights - for fairer terms and conditions, for better safety etc.  nearly every industry that’s currently striking (with the exception of the NHS) are all industries that were nationally owned but privatised by various Tory governments, which made them and the major shareholders of those privatised companies huge dividends - those very companies that are now telling their staff that they do not warrant a reasonable wage increase, should be happy with worsening T&Cs, whilst they give themselves vastly inflated pay rises and share dividends.
It would be interesting to see where the money these companies received (covid payments) from the government was actually spent.  It was probably creamed off, whilst the services were cut back.  That money could and should have been used to modernise services (moving forward).
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 3:57pm

I can't stand ineptitude. It riles me. I don't think it does me any good though LOL
you clearly have never served in the military Wink, i do find that in life there are very few occupations where career wide you can actually fail upwards in a career trajectory the military, westminster politics, the civil service and weksh rugby union are among them!LOLLOLLOL

Edited by RR1972 - 06 December 2022 at 3:57pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

you clearly have never served in the military Wink, i do find that in life there are very few occupations where career wide you can actually fail upwards in a career trajectory the military, westminster politics, the civil service and weksh rugby union are among them!LOLLOLLOL

I've worked in education and industry. You can add those two sectors to the list! I had one manager who was so petty, he'd hide in the dark to watch the night shift. One evening one of the boys went out to fetch chips for the night crew and this manager scuttled off excitedly. Next morning he went straight to the plant manager to proudly tell him of his discovery. The plant manager gave him an utter b*ll*cking in front of the shift supervisor. When the warehouse boys heard about it, one of them jumped in a forklift truck and chased him around the yard. Never laughed so much in my life. I had another manager in Trostre who was the epitome of incompetence. He kept costing BS/Corus a millions wherever he went. He broke the five stand in Ebbw Vale, he broke the coil tracking IT system in Port Talbot and ended up in Trostre with a job from his pal who was the Works Manager. Another who was universally loathed. I managed to land him in it though. He was trying to get the warehouse boys sacked (I don't know what's wrong with these middle managers with a Napoleon syndrome) and sent me off to do an audit. I came back with the raw figures knowing he'd misinterpret them being simultaeously devious, grasping and stupid. I figured I'd let him do his own analysis ... which he didn't. He ran off excitedly to the works manager who called us all to a meeting. I sat there as the works manager threw a tantrum at the warehouse team leaders until he finally ran out of breath. Then I said, erm, I believe [the technical manager] has failed to notice the packing dates on the audit. Every coil was packed corectly at the time they were received. He just stared at me, then stared at the technical manager and asked the rest of us to leave. As I shut the door behind me I could hear him scream the place down. I spent 5 years in Trostre and learned the meaning of the phrase "Lions led by Donkeys" for myself.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 7:42pm

I've worked in education and industry. You can add those two sectors to the list! I had one manager who was so petty, he'd hide in the dark to watch the night shift. One evening one of the boys went out to fetch chips for the night crew and this manager scuttled off excitedly. Next morning he went straight to the plant manager to proudly tell him of his discovery. The plant manager gave him an utter b*ll*cking in front of the shift supervisor. When the warehouse boys heard about it, one of them jumped in a forklift truck and chased him around the yard. Never laughed so much in my life. I had another manager in Trostre who was the epitome of incompetence. He kept costing BS/Corus a millions wherever he went. He broke the five stand in Ebbw Vale, he broke the coil tracking IT system in Port Talbot and ended up in Trostre with a job from his pal who was the Works Manager. Another who was universally loathed. I managed to land him in it though. He was trying to get the warehouse boys sacked (I don't know what's wrong with these middle managers with a Napoleon syndrome) and sent me off to do an audit. I came back with the raw figures knowing he'd misinterpret them being simultaeously devious, grasping and stupid. I figured I'd let him do his own analysis ... which he didn't. He ran off excitedly to the works manager who called us all to a meeting. I sat there as the works manager threw a tantrum at the warehouse team leaders until he finally ran out of breath. Then I said, erm, I believe [the technical manager] has failed to menotice the packing dates on the audit. Every coil was packed corectly at the time they were received. He just stared at me, then stared at the technical manager and asked the rest of us to leave. As I shut the door behind me I could hear him scream the place down. I spent 5 years in Trostre and learned the meaning of the phrase "Lions led by Donkeys" for myself.
well played that manClapClapClap
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 9:49pm

Ok, here's my take on it. This is a proposal for changing the way governance works in the UK. It heavily leans on ideas that were in vogue during the days of "New Labour." It attempts to diagnose the problems with the way the UK works and proposes some improvements. The problem is that it is drenched in paternalism, chauvinism, bias and dogma. The so-called solutions are incoherent, weak and contradictory. 

Some of the points made:

Britain is a singular country but we respect the identity of Scots and Welsh.

Nationalism is bad but if you identify as British, that's good.

Governance at Westminster has been trashed by the Tories. 

They've stuffed the Lords with cronies (no sense of irony on this one given that the current arrangements for appointing Lords were put in place by Blair's Govt). 

They've trashed the Sewell Convention. 

People trust their local politicians the most. 

We'll scrap the Lords and establish an elected second chamber of the regions.

We'll devolve some powers to different layers of governance.

We'll keep the primacy of the House of Commons.

The UK is economically inequitable to a greater degree than nearly any other country on Earth.

London is largely responsible for the extent of economic inequality. We should keep London the way it is and transfer money around the UK.

We'll devolve loads to Scotland.

We'll devolve some stuff to Wales, dunno yet really but we trust the Welsh Government with their Constitutional convention to deliver Wales the best relationship with the UK.

I have so many problems with this take. Not once is Brexit addressed despite showing polling by Leave vs Remain. It's simply ignored. In addition, they include umpteen tables and charts in an attempt to give the appearance of having listened. I get the impression that they're suffering from chronic confirmation bias as the report goes on to make statements about "values" and what people really want. They don't listen at all. The report amounts to a series of contradictory proposals - to spread power around and codify constitutional conventions ... yet retain the primacy of the HoC. That the economic focus on London has lead to an unbalanced economy, so let's keep the cash cow going and spread the wealth. In doing so, they've retained the two fundemental constructs of the UK that cause the majority of the structural problems. Agglomeration around the City of London which causes a core-periphery relationship with the rest of the UK. The centralisation of political power at Westminster with power effectively loaned out. Because they retain the primacy of the HoC it means that all it takes to totally tear up any reforms they make, is a Conservative majority. We all know that is inevitable when the (probable) next Labour Government runs out of steam. The reforms are topological, just as the 1997 reforms are. It's because they do not alter the constitution. The only way to genuinely change the UK constitution is to bring to an end the primacy of the HoC and to codify in Constitutional Law that Sovereignty is exercised by the Scottish and Welsh parliaments (and preferably English). From there it can be pooled. These proposals are a very long way away from the "radical federalism" Welsh Labour are proposing. It will be interesting to see how Welsh Labour now respond. I personally think a Federal UK is unworkable because it either requires England's weight of numbers to be counterbalanced by equal representation at a federal level or by splitting England into regions - neither of which are popular options. It would require that sovereignty would lie at a sub-federal level and pooled for state-wide competencies by the Federal Government.

So my take on the UK is this:

The UK is a Union State of 3 Nations and a Province. British identity is of a pluralist construct. It is influenced by but not dependent on Statehood. National identities do not necessarily translate into Nationalism. Imposing a singular identity from the centre is an inherently Nationalist act. The preservation of the "primacy of the House of Commons" ossifies the political inequalities between the British Nations on account of the numerical disparities between them. Owing to the centralised nature of this Parliament and its constitutional grip on political power, the consequences of this arrangement is that one Nation is nearly always governed by the party it elects whilst the smaller Nations are usually governed by a party they did not elect. This is a serious democratic deficit. Moreover, the constitutional status of primacy allows the party with power over the House of Commons to exercise the combined sovereignty of the Nations where no mandate exists for it to do so without any controls whatsoever. This centralised model of governance is further consolidated by its relationship with the core UK economy in and around the City of London which creates an economic dependancy of the peripheries on the core. None of this is inevitable. It happens by design. 

The solution to this problem is to dismantle the old State which is itself the cause of the inequalities that afflict so many communities and particularly, the Nation of Wales with comparative poverty. New relationships between the regions and Nations of these Isles must be built. Political power must be exercised by the National Parliaments of the Nations on behalf of their electorates according to the democratic mandates given at the ballot box for the sake of the Political, Economic and Cultural development of the Nations according to the principles underpinned by the Charter of the United Nations. With the consent of their peoples, the Nations should pool sovereignty for their mutual benefit. The model which espouses these principle the best is a Confederation of Nation States. Examples include Benelux and the EU. These are genuinely voluntary unions of nations which pool power and establish common rules for mutual benefit. Wales will not thrive until it builds its own institutions and culture of good governance and applies these to the matters of our Political, Economic and Cultural development. This is not easy. Neither is enduring the mandateless government of a party Wales has never once given an electoral majority.

So that's my position on it. Yes, Labour have acknowledged the dysfunction at the heart of UK politics. They acknowledge the deep economic inequalities created by decades of policy. Everyone of their solutions leaves the dysfunction and inequality in place whilst topologically treating it. If the structure has failed then we must rebuild it, otherwise we simply waste our energy trying to revive a moribund construct. So rather than going around calling people a bunch of nasty nats and what not, better to focus on a brand new build, fit for purpose.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2022 at 10:25pm
So the government have now completed 2 u-turns in 24 hours, just to stop Tory MPs rebelling.  Yesterday it was a u-turn on home building, Sunak and co could have got the policy through the commons as Labour offered to back it, but rather than doing the right thing and using the support of labour, they bowed down to the Tory rebels.
Today it’s a u-turn on wind farms.  Sunak appears to be being pushed around at will by some of his MPs and backbenchers, who feel that they can hold him at ransom to get what they want.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2022 at 2:02am

Excellent thread, and yes.."Lions led by Donkeys ". heard that before. !
Can I add to this pot by telling you all how badly management sometimes treat perceived "lowly workers"
After I finished teaching, and taking my early retirement, I worked for 7 years as a cleaner, to support my daughter in further and higher education, as she has moved away.
As a dept head and manager, I always attempted to treat people, kids and colleagues, fairly and honestly. This included the cleaners who cleaned the art & DT block for which I was responsible. The ceramic room, where I did a lot of work, needed a regularly thorough cleaning, so I treated Gloria, my cleaner, a lovely honest valleys lady, like a goddessLOL

So, when In I became a cleaner, not wanting any further responsibility, but needed a bit of extra cash, I naively thought I would be treated the same!
The way I was treated in two local supermarkets, was mind bogglingly bad!
In one case, I was the janitor, responsible for store up-keep in the day. Not at all difficult.
I came in however to help them out every day to do a job, which certainly wasn't [art of my remit, litter -picking the car park, but I was happy to help, as its all being part of the team, and I hate litter. I did this at 7.00am, every day, before moving on to another cleaning job, whether i was down to work in the supermarket or not.
When Scarlets made the final against Dublin in 2017, I asked for two shifts off, so I could go and support in Ireland. This was REFUSED by my cleaning boss, despite all my "goodwill" 
I RESIGNED and travelled to Dublin.
Thankfully, I was rewarded by a brilliant win and a fantastic weekend
Other incidents such as at another local store, being spoken to like a schoolboy, for no reason, despite the fact I was a difficult and dirty job, for minimum wage, and a local bar manager and bully, who was obnoxious to all, just because he could.
I was not intimidated by him, and we had a delightful finale confrontation, before I finished.
fortunately, I was in a position to walk away from some of these awful situations, but in today's climate, so many have little choice.

There are so many people like this with no voice, often doing thankless tasks often treated with disrespect by management.
It's not all like this of course, and when I finished in 2020, I was working in the now closed Argos store in the Elli centre. It was great there, a small, but wonderful team of staff, who treated you well, and I had a superb boss an area manager, who treated you with respect, and dignity. In return I would do anything for him, and would also cover local stores and other establishments, both here and Swansea, Carmarthen whenever I could.
It's "give and take", and a relationship based on trust and understanding, working as a team, and that's the basis on which I have always worked is an excellent template for success.
I stood yer on tanner bank
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2022 at 5:20am
It's a sad fact of life Pimp.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2022 at 10:08am
And here we have it. A Government-commissioned report concludes that the current state of the NHS is the result of "decade of neglect" and "10 years of managed decline".

I was going to comment further, but it speaks for itself really. I just hope enough people can see what is happening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 63>
  Share Topic