Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next Conservative leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 63>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Conservative leader
    Posted: 05 June 2022 at 9:10am
With Boris' grip on the keys to No 10 slowly slipping who do members think have what it takes to take over until the next general election. I think Rishi, a poster boy not long ago, is out of the running. I have heard a few names thrown around but would introduce another Tobias Ellwood.

Ellwood has shall we say an interesting past as a browse of Wikipedia will confirm. One thing which stands out for me is that he has been a consistent critic of Boris Johnson and his standards of behaviour. Of course he is no buddy of Boris' so does not owe him a cabinet post etc. Also, as a former military man, he seems to talk sense when asked his opinion on International affairs.

I look forward to hearing the views of my forum colleagues as always. 
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 9:33am
Mercer is my pick but elwood is v similar tbh
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 9:41am
Not an inspiring list, I'd go for Hunt, Elwood, Wallace or Tugenhadt.

I should stress that I never have, nor will I ever vote Tory !
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 9:45am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

With Boris' grip on the keys to No 10 slowly slipping who do members think have what it takes to take over until the next general election. I think Rishi, a poster boy not long ago, is out of the running. I have heard a few names thrown around but would introduce another Tobias Ellwood.

Ellwood has shall we say an interesting past as a browse of Wikipedia will confirm. One thing which stands out for me is that he has been a consistent critic of Boris Johnson and his standards of behaviour. Of course he is no buddy of Boris' so does not owe him a cabinet post etc. Also, as a former military man, he seems to talk sense when asked his opinion on International affairs.

Ellwood has called for the UK to rejoin the single market, something wildly unpopular among the conservative members, so I don’t think he has a chance. What I do hope is that the next leader is from the ‘One Nation’ group of Tories. As much as I don’t particularly like any group of Tories they are so much better than having someone like Truss or one of the other nutters the ERG would back as leader. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 10:06am
Elwood wants boots on the ground in the ukraine. That’s a bit of a worry, hunt or truss seem likely?

Edited by RR1972 - 05 June 2022 at 10:07am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Ellwood has called for the UK to rejoin the single market, something wildly unpopular among the conservative members, so I don’t think he has a chance. What I do hope is that the next leader is from the ‘One Nation’ group of Tories. As much as I don’t particularly like any group of Tories they are so much better than having someone like Truss or one of the other nutters the ERG would back as leader. 

I knew that Ellwood was a remainer but I thought he was on record as saying that we should not go back on that decision. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 11:30am
You do see Johnson's skill, such as it is, in that none of the cabinet are really decent candidates at all. Selecting them for loyalty rather than talent means he is not as strongly challenged as could be. It has meant the country as a whole is governed far more poorly but there you go, the Conservatives knew exactly what they were getting when they made him their leader.

Here's a scary thought... imagine Priti Patel as PM.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 12:21pm
Gove is v capeable just an odd bod. Patel is a genuine nasty bit of work. I’d back burnham or namdy to beat any of them but kier is 50/50

Edited by RR1972 - 05 June 2022 at 12:23pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I knew that Ellwood was a remainer but I thought he was on record as saying that we should not go back on that decision. 
This is paywalled but the headline shows Ellwood wanting to rejoin the single market (said only 4 days ago). 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

You do see Johnson's skill, such as it is, in that none of the cabinet are really decent candidates at all. Selecting them for loyalty rather than talent means he is not as strongly challenged as could be. It has meant the country as a whole is governed far more poorly but there you go, the Conservatives knew exactly what they were getting when they made him their leader.

Here's a scary thought... imagine Priti Patel as PM.

How very dare they !
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 6:02pm
Patel would be a disaster for the Tory party but a gift for labour. Elwood is a sensible option and the Tory party needs to make a sensible selection following the appointment of BOJO - who to be fair provided them with a landslide win in the last GE and got Brexit through, but mostly on manifestos based on broken promises and lies.
Unfortunately for the Tory party his lack of morals and his inability to keep control of those around him is costing them dearly at the moment and is crippling the party at a time. When they need to be in full control.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 9:12am
So we have a choice of someone who is going to reduce taxation immediately or someone who will do it as soon as he can. Well that is really helpful to those in society who cannot afford to eat properly and look ahead with dread to what the Autumn/winter brings. In addition our NHS and social care system is broken & guess what who suffers?????

I have personal, recent experience of trying to help our elderly neighbours who are reaching the stage where they cannot safely look after themselves. My wife met one of the social services team & explained what help we were giving them with hygiene, medication & meals which we felt should be supplied by a social care system to be told that not a lot was available due to lack of staff/resources. people all over the country are waiting hours for ambulances to arrive, thousands are being given urgent A&E treatment in ambulances in car parks which contributes to the wait for other vulnerable people & all the while we have two tory MP's who are arguing about when is the right time to cut taxes and reduce the cost of the State. 

FFS wake up and see the reality of where being one of the top 5 richest countries in the World has got us to - rampant inflation, NHS & social care system broken almost beyond repair, food bank usage at his highest level ever & we have muppets in our government who tell us we have never had it so good!!!!!

We need a government in waiting to stand up and give us some real levelling up policies at the same time spelling out the terrible truth that you cannot have World class education, NHS & social care in a society where people are living longer without paying for it. Rant over!!!!!!
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 9:28am
The demographics will see the situation get worse as the baby boomer generation passes through the population.

The ratio of working people to retired used to be more than 1 to 1. With improved life expectancy and no great increase in the State Pension Age, I’ve seen estimates where there’s been at least 3 retirees to every 1 worker.

Admittedly, this was before many over the State Pension Age decided that it suited them to continue working, or had no choice but to do so. 

The only way that you can redress that balance when the birth rate is so low is by immigration. Being the 5th wealthiest country in the world ought to help that process, provided entry into the country isn’t impossible/close to impossibly difficult.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 9:44am
Truss it is then that will be a disaster
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 10:30am
There is a petition organised by Lord Cruddas, one of Boris' cronies and a Tory party funder, to have Boris' name on the ballot paper. The parallels with Trump are incredible. He lost an election but tried to find a way to win it. He polled over 70 million votes, how could he lose ? Conveniently forgetting of course that Hilary Clinton won more votes than Trump and lost.

Will we see Boris rise again ? Despite the fact that he's gone as PM, the Priviliges Committee must act, the investigation into the money he promised Arcuri, and the threat to national security he posed when he slipped his personal protection guys to meet the Russians in Italy MUST be investigated. Otherwise I fear that he may rise again.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 11:02am
I have no faith in either.  Sunak promises not to reduce taxes immediately (when we are in the middle of a cost of living crisis) but did step down just before BOJO was voted out of office, although he will always be tarnished by serving under and supporting him for so long.
Truss comes across as someone who will say or promise just about anything to get noticed or to gain votes (bit like BOJO).  She seems happy to fire bullets at others and to stoke up tensions with other people in high office, just what you don’t need during a global cost of living crisis.
Her negotiation skills as the trade secretary weren’t up to much - pork markets with the Middle East and a deal with Australia over another meat product - both worthless, undermining the farming industry which lost so much funding as a result of brexit, and both embarrassing when you consider the Tory parties pledge to become carbon neutral by 2050.
It’s interesting see that BOJO appears to be through all his weight behind anyone but Sunak (As he had the cheek to resign, and has now started taking swipes at the treasury - the very department that he’s championed for “keeping the economy going throughout the pandemic “.
I too am a little worried that he may try and run again for leader in the future.  He, like Trump, just believes that he has a god given right to hold high office and to trash the standards and establishments that have stood for hundreds of years, on the back of the delusion that people have given them a mandate to do so.
Hopefully the parliamentary standards commission will find that he did mislead parliament (probably easier to do now that he’s no longer leader and hence no longer judge and jury), that would then mean that he would have to resign as an MP, and hopefully be banned from running again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 63>
  Share Topic