Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli Wanderers 70th Celebration Night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Llanelli Wanderers 70th Celebration Night
    Posted: 05 June 2022 at 11:49am
Enjoyed a very good night on Friday at the Stradey Park Hotel celebrating 70 years of the Wanderers ( who are of course,a feeder club for the RFC). 

Over 250 attending with Rev Eldon as MC and Scott Quinnell as a very entertaining guest speaker. “Geography”  Rob Butcher was there but did not speak! Some great photos of the history of a great local club. 

Bit surprised that no one in active office from the RFC or indeed the Scarlets were present. 

An excellent night of celebration of local community rugby. Well done to the organisers.

Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 12:13pm
Sounds a good evening that, really not sure why the regions don’t send some one to events like this it’s just good pr. 250 plus a good turn out in fairness. Wanderers always good at age group level when i was growing up. Anyone here play/played for them? “Once a wandrer etc”

Edited by RR1972 - 05 June 2022 at 12:30pm
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 6:14pm
As I am a Wanderer for over 55 years. and was in the dinner, personally I feel we do not get the support or the appreciation of players when they go to the Scarlets, which is the aim.  We want the players to progress, but I bet if you ask the supporters very few realise that the many of the academy players were once associated with clubs like the Wanderers, and for around 8-10 years, the foundation years, It was a great dinner so enjoyable, and so many happy faces, it was what clubs like the Wanderers are there for. 
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

As I am a Wanderer for over 55 years. and was in the dinner, personally I feel we do not get the support or the appreciation of players when they go to the Scarlets, which is the aim.  We want the players to progress, but I bet if you ask the supporters very few realise that the many of the academy players were once associated with clubs like the Wanderers, and for around 8-10 years, the foundation years, It was a great dinner so enjoyable, and so many happy faces, it was what clubs like the Wanderers are there for. 

Indeed 👍 the RFC regularly take players off the Wanderers when injuries crop up on permit. It’s a small rugby community down here and  I was genuinely surprised by the lack of support from the Scarlets/ rfc . At least the much criticised WRU Chairman Rob Butcher made a big  effort to come down from Bargoed! 🤨

Edited by reesytheexile - 06 June 2022 at 9:17am
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 10:08pm
Just playing devil's advocate here. Were the scarlets made aware of the dinner....was anyone invited?

Edited by gnasher1975 - 05 June 2022 at 10:08pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 10:59pm
It’s on their social media site, you’d think
There would be players/staff who are ex wanderers or know wanderers people there and would know people attending

Edited by RR1972 - 05 June 2022 at 10:59pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 9:20am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

There would be players/staff who are ex wanderers or know wanderers people there and would know people attending
Exactly. I guess it being the public holiday weekend may have meant people were on holiday of course. Anyway it was a great night regardless.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 11:33am
We did have around 230 attending which was a fantastic effort by the club, and personally I thought the Stradey Park Hotel were excellent in their organisation of the event, even if they were less working than usual, through no fault of their own, and it did not affect the night at all, no delay and the food was hot and good. 

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We did have around 230 attending which was a fantastic effort by the club, and personally I thought the Stradey Park Hotel were excellent in their organisation of the event, even if they were less working than usual, through no fault of their own, and it did not affect the night at all, no delay and the food was hot and good. 

yes the food was good and hot!! 👍
RFC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

..... and so they'd just take it upon themselves to turn up ? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic