Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back in training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 7:53am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Saw Fifita shopping in tesco yesterday. Not a big unit for a second row. A great addition nonetheless.

Was he at the frozen chips or fresh vegetables section?
Welsh cakes.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 8:45am
I have been concerned for some time, since Javan was named to tour with Scotland, that we are going to be very light at tight head in the early part of next season. Our front row resources will be stretched paper thin if, as in previous years, summer tourists are given extended pre-season prep. I appreciate that we may not be starting our URC challenge until late September but we could be without Wyn, Ryan, Javan & Harri as tourists and Ken & Samson injured. 

That gives us Steffan Thomas, Kemsley & Phil Price at 1; Shaun Evans, Daf Hughes & Taylor Davies at 2; WGJ & Jeffries at 3. Any training knocks and we will dipping in to the short term loan market where availability will be a lot less than previous years with squad reductions having taken place in England & Wales in particular. 
RFC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 2:27pm
[QUOTE=thommo]Saw Fifita shopping in tesco yesterday. Not a big unit for a second row. A great addition nonetheless.

How did you know it was him?

shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I have been concerned for some time, since Javan was named to tour with Scotland, that we are going to be very light at tight head in the early part of next season. Our front row resources will be stretched paper thin if, as in previous years, summer tourists are given extended pre-season prep. I appreciate that we may not be starting our URC challenge until late September but we could be without Wyn, Ryan, Javan & Harri as tourists and Ken & Samson injured. 

That gives us Steffan Thomas, Kemsley & Phil Price at 1; Shaun Evans, Daf Hughes & Taylor Davies at 2; WGJ & Jeffries at 3. Any training knocks and we will dipping in to the short term loan market where availability will be a lot less than previous years with squad reductions having taken place in England & Wales in particular. 

Joe Jones Could be worth a shout either for short/long term. 26 year old 19st plus t h from Wrexham. 
Has played in France and now in  eng prem
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 3:27pm
Baffled why they parted company with Rob Evans.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

I'm very comfortable with it. Very sensible decision.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 3:47pm
Because you could probably pay 5 of our young props with his 1 wage 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

The banding system made him an expensive 3rd choice.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 4:09pm
We are very short in certain positions and a few injuries, which we seem to get every season, will see us struggle. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

We are very short in certain positions and a few injuries, which we seem to get every season, will see us struggle. 
Yes but loosehead isn't one of those and he's a shadow of the player he once was.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Yes but loosehead isn't one of those and he's a shadow of the player he once was.
I wasn’t just referring to loose head we are very thin on ground in so many positions it is a worry. I agree Rob Evans should have gone as we are strong at loose head. Now the news that we are going to sign Reffell would really cheer me up. 

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Alot of people writing WGJ off. He could come good many players take a season to settle into the team. Could be like a new signing this year. 
Im surprised Franks hasnt worked hard with him on his stance. Hes too long in the bind much like Rhodri Jones was when they tried to convert him to TH. Means his legs go out and hes flat on his face, giving away penalties.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 9:24am
Its quite bewildering that we are heading into pre-season with major injury worries in key areas, low stock in others and a general worry about next season. I wonder how many other teams are in our position? I would wager not many. 
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 9:26am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Alot of people writing WGJ off. He could come good many players take a season to settle into the team. Could be like a new signing this year. 
Im surprised Franks hasnt worked hard with him on his stance. Hes too long in the bind much like Rhodri Jones was when they tried to convert him to TH. Means his legs go out and hes flat on his face, giving away penalties.

Maybe that is something they could be working on in the off season?

WGJ certainly hasn't been a great signing, he seemed a really good TH at Sale but then again he normally had power from a huge South African lock behind him & he might not be getting that here.

I do hope he can bounce back & of course will always support anyone who pulls on our jersey but he is going to need to hit the ground running.

Glad to hear the boys are in training, I think Peel will have them very fit - as the season wore on last year we did seem to get fitter & it was noticeable that on our off weeks the social media posts showed hard fitness work being done. 
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 11:15am
We’re talking 8+weeks until our first competitive game so there’s plenty of time for injuries to clear and internationals to have a break and be back.

One thing I believe that we are lucky with when it comes to our internationals is that we have got very good back ups in most so they can have breaks through the season.

Hardy, Cawdor with Blacker and our 3 18/19 year olds.
Patchell has Costelow (we’ve barely seen Patch these last couple seasons so we can deal)
Johnny Williams has Scott?, Foxy, Roberts & Baldwin.
Lousi is covered by Fifita with Jones, Jac & Tom Price plus young Salmon
Sebastian. O’Connor should only need a short break as he had some off season before his call up, WGJ should be at full speed too.
Elias - the Sheriff is due back soon with Daf Hughes & Taylor Davies proving capable understudies last season.
Wyn Jones - with the emergence of Steff Thomas and Mathias with Phil Price as back up we’re good.

As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2022 at 2:57pm
For those of you who follow the Scarlets on social media, they've put some pictures up of players training in their new Castore kit. Must say I do like the blue training jersey,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic