Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New WRU payment deal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 6:12pm
No way do we want to join that crazy English league... we are in the best league now... world champions,  best teams in Europe.... its not the league that needs changing its the lack of our ability to win....I dont think its the players but the coaches that hold us back... focus on coaches will be better than trying to sign expend players
Sponsored Links

Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 6:16pm
Wasps look to be going into administration as they have missed payments they are due to make as per premiership guidance they should be automatically relegated

Worcester also have failed to pay staff and will possibly not be able to play in their next fixture
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

No way do we want to join that crazy English league... we are in the best league now... world champions,  best teams in Europe.... its not the league that needs changing its the lack of our ability to win....I dont think its the players but the coaches that hold us back... focus on coaches will be better than trying to sign expend players

Although coaching is obviously a factor in success it's hard to argue that finances, population and player availability amongst other things don't have a big impact on our ability to compete, and playing in a league where there is no mechanisms (i.e. wage caps, agreed release across the league) to create a reasonably level playing field then we're relying on once a generation luck in terms of player and coaching quality which isn't a consistent model.

In the league we're basically competing with the Irish national team in Leinster to win it and the approach various governing bodies decide to go with has a huge bearing on our ability to compete consistently, this is why there's so much apathy towards the league and has been for over a decade.

We can put as much hope and faith in the team as we want but ultimately we're not in control of our own destiny, and personally I'd rather be on a more level playing field with less variables (which would involve a different compensation model for player release with our union) and take it to the English.

Or we can just cross our fingers.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 3:10pm
If population is an issue with the irish itll be a bigger issue with the english? I’m all for joining tbh but realistixally we would be in a relegation scrap most years
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 3:25pm
Like I said its one of the factors, amongst many others.

Only Bristol have a higher population than Dublin and Glasgow. Obviously the South Africans populations are much much higher.

But there's no point in getting hung up on one factor, its the collection of factors that needs to be looked at as a whole.

Edited by Gate12 - 27 September 2022 at 3:29pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Only Bristol have a higher population than Dublin and Glasgow. Obviously the South Africans populations are much much higher.

But there's no point in getting hung up on one factor, its the collection of factors that needs to be looked at as a whole.
 your cutting out the london clubs there surely? Not to mention newcastle
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

to get better coaches, you need better revenue streams. If we joined the English Prem then I would say that there is a very high probability that our revenue streams will increase due to larger attendances.

For me personally, I couldn't care less about playing the lions, bulls, or any team from the other countries tbh.... hell I'd even consider after finishing my training to move back to Wales to have quality opposition that is within daily travelling distance (Apart from Newcastle) week in week out....

The URC is a bag of poo. The Irish don't care about it, The Scots are only in it as there isn't a scottish alternative. The Italian teams have improved, but that hasn't been replicated properly through the international team and don't get me started on the saffers. 
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 3:51pm
Well there's 3 London (ish) clubs but they've got football to compete with. Like I said its just 1 factor of many.

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 3:58pm

Manchester?
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 4:01pm
You mean sale?

For the 3rd time population was 1 of many factors so let's not get hung up on it just to win a small battle.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

If population is an issue with the irish itll be a bigger issue with the english? I’m all for joining tbh but realistixally we would be in a relegation scrap most years
Given the governance of the game in Wales I'd say that would happen whatever league we are in.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 4:30pm

Well there's 3 London (ish) clubs but they've got football to compete with. Like I said its just 1 factor of many.

btw i want us to
 Join and anglo english lge
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Relegation won't be around much longer. That's not the worry.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 8:03pm
PRL have a salary cap which is a positive for us. They also shop in a pool of similar salary expectations.
Leinster and Munster and possibly Ulster have budgets we will never match. 

The SA teams have in recent years begun access to a huge pool of young, black athletically gifted and frankly poor population, so do really well on a very small budget. 

PRL is run by and for its clubs. It often battles the RFU in order to preserve the integrity of the competition. URC is owned by the unions and therefore has totally different priorities.

PRL won't allow multiple clubs owned by the same entity. Everyone has to be genuinely fighting to beat the others. The IRFU and SRU can tell their clubs to do anything, put out weakened teams, transfer players in-between clubs etc. 

You don't need to worry about air travel to go to an away game in the PRL. Whether it's £££ or carbon footprint or just multiple days lost travelling, that's a massive bonus.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

PRL have a salary cap which is a positive for us. They also shop in a pool of similar salary expectations.

The SA teams have in recent years begun access to a huge pool of young, black athletically gifted and frankly poor population, so do really well on a very small budget. 

PRL is run by and for its clubs. It often battles the RFU in order to preserve the integrity of the competition. URC is owned by the unions and therefore has totally different priorities.

PRL won't allow multiple clubs owned by the same entity. Everyone has to be genuinely fighting to beat the others. The IRFU and SRU can tell their clubs to do anything, put out weakened teams, transfer players in-between clubs etc. 

You don't need to worry about air travel to go to an away game in the PRL. Whether it's £££ or carbon footprint or just multiple days lost travelling, that's a massive bonus.
fairly decent kick off times
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Spot on 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic