Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Williams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:00pm
Shouldn’t this be in General Rugby?

Not a reflection of GPR starting the topic here, just the subject matter and his descent from the peaks of his first stint with us.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:01pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62746252

link for anyone who's not read the comments.  Reading between the lines he was in talks with Cardiff and Dai Young for a long time and you have to question how he could play well for wales whilst often being anonymous for us, on those occasions he did play.  Someone who's not worried about defamation could infer he did his best to force the move...but I categorically wouldn't say that. 

Thanks for your service Sanj, the first stint will always be remembered fondly.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Seems like quite an overreaction. From what I can see all he said was he wasn't enjoying his rugby at the end of the season. Why is that an issue? And pretty much every player who has ever moved clubs states 'new challenge'. I think people are a bit over sensitive. 
Not really, he barely played but then suddenly HE wasnt enjoying his rugby. New challenge fair enough but usually after doing everything at your previous club. We got very poor value for money for him, he should be thanking us for letting him go if anything.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

He really is doing his best to become unpopular with us isn’t he?

It really seemed as if he didn't want to be here. Best for everyone, especially the Scarlets,  that he left.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:15pm
Time to move on boys! No need for negativity, we’ve got a great young fullback in Tom Rogers and I’m focussed on supporting him and everybody who is wearing Scarlet.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:16pm
I don’t think him and peel got on did they?
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 4:55pm
Not turning up for training on time or at all. Poor attitude in training. No wonder we let him go.
To be honest I don't really want to know about him anymore. Cardiffs problem 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Brainfart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 5:03pm
Besides his poor work ethic at times and lack of discipline in some games, I think hes not the best at articulating his thoughts, what with his stammer. So let's give him the benefit of doubt on that? 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 5:26pm
He s One of my favorite player but his attitude in his last games showed me that his time with scarlets was over..
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 5:35pm
Cardiff are welcome to him. If their environment gets him to buy into the team more than ours did, everyone is a winner.
He was a fantastic asset to us in his first spell, and I am grateful to him for all the entertainment.

In his 2nd stint he was at times, an idiot. Let's be honest. I think his first game back after a lengthy spell ended in a red card for a ridiculous tackle. And it didn't really get much better until his final few weeks.

These days it seems clear to me that we are trying to build a team around fewer players who are team Wales first choice, for lots of reasons including consistency of selection. I am personally wholeheartedly behind that strategy. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 9:05pm
I read it [bbc article] and at first I was pretty disappointed. Then I realised I don’t actually care. I think he is done now, the longer we would’ve stuck with him the worse it would be Scarlets. Best for all that he moves on, Rogers would’ve sat him on the bench this season anyhow. With Cardiff losing Amos he’s gone at the right time for all concerned. 
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 9:17pm
When Liam's name comes up, the first thing I think of is the Springbok game when he tried to take the Bok winger's head off in the act of scoring on the final play of the match which cost Wales their first win in SA.

That cheap shot streak seemed to have have been knocked out of him at Saracens, but it returned again last year. 

He has a ton of talent and is very courageous, but once in a while the red mist he gets lets him down.  Other than the above incident, he has been a great asset to Wales, and the Lions, and good luck to him in his new life.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2022 at 11:43pm
Still my favourite player

He clearly is a better player when pushing for a place in the team or has someone hot on his heels and he didn’t really have that nor does he have that at Wales at the moment

His comments are pretty innocuous to me - good luck to him!
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 1:14am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Seems like quite an overreaction. From what I can see all he said was he wasn't enjoying his rugby at the end of the season. Why is that an issue? And pretty much every player who has ever moved clubs states 'new challenge'. I think people are a bit over sensitive. 
Not really, he barely played but then suddenly HE wasnt enjoying his rugby. New challenge fair enough but usually after doing everything at your previous club. We got very poor value for money for him, he should be thanking us for letting him go if anything.

Agree, I don't think it's an over-reaction. 
As it's already been stated, he was great in his first stint with us.
Wayne Pivac told me, that part of the reason he moved to Sarries , was his on -going relationship, & also obviously joining a top team capable of winning things, was an attraction.
I wished him well with that, and he did fine up there !.
Was pleased when he returned only to be so disappointed by reckless play (costing us points & games), ineffective displays, and a lack of commitment to playing at all.
We are better off without him.

Maybe a comparison in cricket is "Welsh Fire", a bunch of mercenaries, with NO FIRE in their bellies
Maybe sums up some aspects of modern sport
Bring back the old tribal and ultra-parochial...LOL !
I stood yer on tanner bank
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 7:22am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Not turning up for training on time or at all. Poor attitude in training. No wonder we let him go.
To be honest I don't really want to know about him anymore. Cardiffs problem 

Agree 100%Thumbs Up
Rubrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 9:42pm
Sad.  Him I mean.
As is our reaction to his petulant and silly comments.
We know that he is being influenced.
We also know that a rugby players career is short, so he is chasing the money.
I do not regret his departure.
The Scarlets are strong enough to survive without a 'celebrity' player.

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic