Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Williams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Brainfart Brainfart wrote:

I think he'd struggle to remember that tackle himself as he knocked himself out again...
Sorry,but that's what full-backs do-they  cover a lot of yards in defence and run from deep.Halfpenny's meant to be a superstar and is paid accordingly.It's funny that anybody praising him simply celebrates the prosaic.For what it's worth,I lost interest in him when he lost his pace,and he lost his pace long before he came here.
So he did his job then? And the element  of psychology placed on the opposition of not conceding penalties because of his range has also been a positive. 
Tackle technique definitely let him down, I'll agree there. 
Anyway onwards and upwards, Tom Rogers is the future. And what a player he may become. 

[/QUOTE]

And that's the concern.Ageing pros on lengthy contracts serve to restrict opportunities.Rogers,and others like him,need to be the present,as well as the future.
Rogers is a cracking player.We need to pick a mid-field that can bring him into the game more,hitting the line with his pace.

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 1:49pm
Lack of pace is one thing; lack of desire is something entirely different. I started this topic specifically regarding some of the comments emanating from Liam Williams where in reality he could have said nothing.

Foxy & Halfpenny were not the subject of my concern because, for me, they have been model professionals. I tend to share the view that pace is a pre-requisite for the back 4 in particular. This will not be something lost on Dwayne thats for sure. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Lack of pace is one thing; lack of desire is something entirely different. I started this topic specifically regarding some of the comments emanating from Liam Williams where in reality he could have said nothing.

Foxy & Halfpenny were not the subject of my concern because, for me, they have been model professionals. I tend to share the view that pace is a pre-requisite for the back 4 in particular. This will not be something lost on Dwayne thats for sure. 

You're right there-Ulster were always quick behind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Clive Griffiths,Steve Bowling,Ian Jones,Luc Evans,Matt Cardey,Lee Byrne,Barry Davies,Morgan Stofdart,Garan Evans.
There's some full-backs who served us well.I can close my eyes and see again something each of them did in a game for the club.Can't say the same for Halfpenny.
His defence has been immense at times. The loss v Toulon his tackle on his opposite number, making up a fair bit of ground. He's done that a hell of a lot for us. Covered hard yards to make the tackle. And many runs from deep with ball in hand being the catalyst for a fair few tries. 

I think he'd struggle to remember that tackle himself as he knocked himself out again...
Sorry,but that's what full-backs do-they  cover a lot of yards in defence and run from deep.Halfpenny's meant to be a superstar and is paid accordingly.It's funny that anybody praising him simply celebrates the prosaic.For what it's worth,I lost interest in him whenhe lost his pace,and he lost his pace long before he came here.
even in his prime hp was not a great attacking full back. He simply doesn’t run those tyoe of lines (liam , byrne ian jones martin grAv were all better coming into the line tbh) hp was brilliant positional wise, under the high ball  he was also very fast and a world class kicker, he is also brave as anyone when in comes to tackling (despite a dodgy technique) ideap for gatlamd not so much for pivac and peel tbh.  Halfpemmy was a limited full back but what he was good at he was world class at . 3 lions tours and 100 welsh caps is proof that

Edited by RR1972 - 07 September 2022 at 3:24pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You're right there-Ulster were always quick behind.
that balacombe is rApid
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Clive Griffiths,Steve Bowling,Ian Jones,Luc Evans,Matt Cardey,Lee Byrne,Barry Davies,Morgan Stofdart,Garan Evans.
There's some full-backs who served us well.I can close my eyes and see again something each of them did in a game for the club.Can't say the same for Halfpenny.
His defence has been immense at times. The loss v Toulon his tackle on his opposite number, making up a fair bit of ground. He's done that a hell of a lot for us. Covered hard yards to make the tackle. And many runs from deep with ball in hand being the catalyst for a fair few tries. 

Sorry,but that's what full-backs do-they  cover a lot of yards in defence and run from deep.Halfpenny's meant to be a superstar and is paid accordingly.It's funny that anybody praising him simply celebrates the prosaic.For what it's worth,I lost interest in him whenhe lost his pace,and he lost his pace long before he came here.
even in his prime hp was not a great attacking full back. He simply doesn’t run those tyoe of lines (liam , byrne ian jones martin grAv were all better coming into the line tbh) hp was brilliant positional wise, under the high ball  he was also very fast and a world class kicker, he is also brave as anyone when in comes to tackling (despite a dodgy technique) ideap for gatlamd not so much for pivac and peel tbh.  Halfpemmy was a limited full back but what he was good at he was world class at . 3 lions tours and 100 welsh caps is proof that

I think he played his best rugby on the wing.I could be flippant and say that.3 Lions tours and 100 caps just means that Warren Gatland picked him a lotWink

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 3:40pm
Dwayne and the fitness coaches will know who the quickest and fittest players are. Anyone who’s had a preseason of amateur rugby and run horrendous suicide drills in the winter will also know what i’m on about.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Dwayne and the fitness coaches will know who the quickest and fittest players are. Anyone who’s had a preseason of amateur rugby and run horrendous suicide drills in the winter will also know what i’m on about.
we all know who the fastest are . I’d back cawdor over 30 metres vs any one in our squad 
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 4:28pm
There nothing in that article to me to be honest, storm in a tea cup. If a player isn't enjoying their rugby with their club, then that is 100% fair enough, and I'd rather they be honest and say so, in which Liam has openly stated. Thumbs Up
Lets also remember that lots had changed down at Y Parc from Liam's first stint to his second after leaving Sarries, so who really knows.
He also had a bad run of injuries too, so better for both parties if a players heart isn't in it anymore with one club, and better to move on to something new with another.

Let's not forget what Liam achieved and the style of rugby that he played during his first stint with us, and for me, I wish him all the best in Cardiff. No bad feeling from me for sure. Thumbs Up
Scarlets!!!
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

Sad.  Him I mean.
As is our reaction to his petulant and silly comments.
We know that he is being influenced.
We also know that a rugby players career is short, so he is chasing the money.
I do not regret his departure.
The Scarlets are strong enough to survive without a 'celebrity' player.

How can he be chasing money by going to Cardiff when his wage is determined by the pay banding system? He’s on exactly the same wage in Cardiff as he was on in Llanelli 

I presume that if its called a pay banding system, then there is at least some width in the bands. So if one Region offers near the bottom of the band and the other offers near the top of the pay band, then potentially there could be quite a big difference? 
Surely if the salary is dictated to the penny by the WRU, then why would any of the Wales 80:20 players be tempted to change teams?

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 8:22pm
Maybe their existing team didn’t make an offer for a new contract? Maybe they want to work with a different coach?
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

Sad.  Him I mean.
As is our reaction to his petulant and silly comments.
We know that he is being influenced.
We also know that a rugby players career is short, so he is chasing the money.
I do not regret his departure.
The Scarlets are strong enough to survive without a 'celebrity' player.

How can he be chasing money by going to Cardiff when his wage is determined by the pay banding system? He’s on exactly the same wage in Cardiff as he was on in Llanelli 

I presume that if its called a pay banding system, then there is at least some width in the bands. So if one Region offers near the bottom of the band and the other offers near the top of the pay band, then potentially there could be quite a big difference? 
Surely if the salary is dictated to the penny by the WRU, then why would any of the Wales 80:20 players be tempted to change teams?

less travelling time? Doesn’t get on with coach? Nagging wifeWink

Edited by RR1972 - 07 September 2022 at 9:58pm
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 4:07pm
May have broken his collarbone in his debut..
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 5:02pm
Didums
Give Blood, Play Rugby
Brainfart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Didums

I wouldn't wish injury on any player. Not a good look. 
Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 5:34pm
Yeah really unnecessary. I hope his heals quicker than mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic