Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Ospreys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team for Ospreys
    Posted: 06 September 2022 at 8:31am
I am encouraged to hear coaches saying that summer tourists like Rowlands will be featuring in the URC first games. His workload was as high as anyones so here goes with the team :-

15. Rogers 14. Baldwin 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Conbeer 10. Patchell 9. Cawdor 
1. Thomas 2. Hughes 3. Javan 4. Sam 5. Fifita 6. Blade 7. Lezana 8. Sione

16. Ryan 17. Wyn 18. Harri 19. Morgan 20. Josh 21. Blacker 22. Costelow 23. Johnny Williams

My selections are based on McNichol, Jac Price, Ken, Halfpenny & Dan Davis still recovering from knocks and being unavailable with Hardy being given some extra time off after a very busy summer. The same could go with Ryan, if so Taylor steps in. If McNichol is actually fit then I would have him at 14 with Bladwin starting at 13. Captaincy for me is Scott. 
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 9:10am
Peel has made a point,it seems,of referring to these pre-season games as "trials".If that is the case,on Friday's evidence Fox would be lucky to get a start for Dock.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Peel has made a point,it seems,of referring to these pre-season games as "trials".If that is the case,on Friday's evidence Fox would be lucky to get a start for Dock.

I tend to agree with your current assessment of Foxy though I think you may be going a little over the top but I do believe that Dwayne is more than capable of selecting his best team. The problem I see is that with Joe Roberts injured we have little scope for movement.

Personally I would love to see Baldwin given a run of games at 13 & I would also like to see Johnny Williams tried there. Young Eddie James is another who may be considered but I understand his strength is at 12 where, of course, we are well stocked. 

Of course Dwayne is in possession of all the training facts so will be aware of all limitations/reduction in speed etc. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 9:25am
Really worrying when two weeks before the league starts with the biggest derby of our season and we have no idea of our or their test players will be avialable, shambolic by the league and wru tbh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 9:27am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I tend to agree with your current assessment of Foxy though I think you may be going a little over the top but I do believe that Dwayne is more than capable of selecting his best team. The problem I see is that with Joe Roberts injured we have little scope for movement.

Personally I would love to see Baldwin given a run of games at 13 & I would also like to see Johnny Williams tried there. Young Eddie James is another who may be considered but I understand his strength is at 12 where, of course, we are well stocked. 

Of course Dwayne is in possession of all the training facts so will be aware of all limitations/reduction in speed etc. 

I have to say that the back play in general was worrying on Friday.
Dan Jones gave 4 hospital passes,the flanker showed Scott and Steff Evs a clean pair of heels for their 1st,Gatsby was completely Lord Lucan,and in the final stages(which were exciting,true)any notion of allignment or structure had completely disappeared-admittedly no 10 on the field,but it really was under 11 stuff.Conbeer,Eddie James and to some extent Rogers gave cause for encouragement.Fifita operated at greater pace than the midfield.Hoping to see an improvement Friday.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 10:28am
Gatsby LOLLOL. We are a bit short of top end speed with dan scott foxy and steff out there in fairness. Need the likes of cawdor costello jonny mac and conbeer to add that
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 10:29am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Really worrying when two weeks before the league starts with the biggest derby of our season and we have no idea of our or their test players will be avialable, shambolic by the league and wru tbh

Not to worry,before long we'll be able to pop over to Quatar for a game or 2.....good old URC!

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 10:40am
Bit early bearing in mind Dwayne said he wants to see how others go in game v Dragons. Not really giving others like JRW and Baldwin chance.

She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 11:46am
Can’t pick the O’s team until after Friday

Hope we see more of Eddie James and Luca Giannini v Dragons, they looked impressive against the bears.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 1:33pm
My centre pairing for the Ospreys would be Baldwin and JBW with Scott on the bench.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 2:42pm
The forwards should be easy with GPR's initial post very close to the selection, but as RR1972 has pointed out the backs starting against Bristol have very little outright pace and penetration. A big dilemma is that Dwayne's original choice of captain at present would be lucky to be in the starting lineup and it will be a measure of how ruthless Dwayne is willing to be that he is willing to admit his mistake and change his plans.
Also it is a little worrying that Dan Jones was the best 10 available to us against Bristol. Allowing for Patch's poor fitness record, we are an injury to Costelow away from trouble, (although Josh Phillips reported performance for Llanelli is quite encouraging) But 10 is definitely a position where we should be looking to strengthen - Cubby keep your eyes open.

Edited by Dai Guevara - 06 September 2022 at 2:52pm
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 3:07pm

Can see Eddie James pushing hard,, can play 12 or 13... With regards Baldwin, most of his rugby he as played on wing... Disappointed last week our most dynamic attacker, rarely saw ball, he needs to come off his wing and looking for work ie Steff Evans.
   I saw Josh Phillips give a very good performance on Saturday! Stated at 15,then moved to 10. The goalkicking performance in difficult conditions was World Class.. I remember Halfpenny give a similar performance for Cardiff RFC v Llanelli RFC as a  young man. 
Brainfart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2022 at 3:14pm

I am encouraged to hear coaches saying that summer tourists like Rowlands will be featuring in the URC first games. His workload was as high as anyones so here goes with the team :-

16. Ryan 17. Wyn 18. Harri 19. Morgan 20. Josh 21. Blacker 22. Costelow 23. Johnny Williams

My selections are based on McNichol, Jac Price, Ken, Halfpenny & Dan Davis still recovering from knocks and being unavailable with Hardy being given some extra time off after a very busy summer. The same could go with Ryan, if so Taylor steps in. If McNichol is actually fit then I would have him at 14 with Bladwin starting at 13. Captaincy for me is Scott. 

Good to see Steff Evans not in this line up. He showed zero conviction in defence against Bristol. There's trying n getting it wrong, then not bothering at all. Let's see how they all do against the Dragons. A bizzare choice of opponents for a pre season friendly. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2022 at 7:31am
I am reading that Ellis Genge starts for Bristol on Friday 7 weeks after appearing for England. Absolutely no reason to expect our International contingent to get stuck in, if selected. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 7:39am

Ok we now have the benefit of ongoing selection for the postponed Dragons game which suggest that my hopes could be possible. If so then I would make some changes to my selected 23 with McNichol starting at 14 & Baldwin at 13. I have a feeling that Dwayne will go with Johnny at 15, Rogers at 14 & Foxy at 13 but I live in hope. 

Please fellow posters only reply to this post on rugby issues and let the subject of whether this game goes ahead lie low until we have a definitive statement. Sports governing bodies will have their own reasons for decisions they have made/will make; we may choose to disagree with those decisions but they are decisions made outside of the Royal household or indeed Westminster. 
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 7:54am
I’m disappointed that Foxy is clearly captain again this season, because this will inevitably mean he will be selected ahead of others who are in better form. When all our centres are fit we will have a great stable to select from. And form aside, I don’t think Foxy has the pace to play 13 in the high tempo game that I thought Dwayne wanted us to play.
Our captain should be someone who is more likely to be rightful first choice, like Elias, Kal or Lousi. If it was Elias then a vice captain could be selected who won’t be involved in internationals 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic