Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Ospreys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 8:34am
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I’m disappointed that Foxy is clearly captain again this season, because this will inevitably mean he will be selected ahead of others who are in better form. When all our centres are fit we will have a great stable to select from. And form aside, I don’t think Foxy has the pace to play 13 in the high tempo game that I thought Dwayne wanted us to play.
Our captain should be someone who is more likely to be rightful first choice, like Elias, Kal or Lousi. If it was Elias then a vice captain could be selected who won’t be involved in internationals 

Well N14 there has been a lot of debate about Foxy's pace issue & this, I must admit, is pretty clearly obvious by the way he has performed last season. What I will say is that Dwayne understands what is required to play 13 in his system & he, of course, is in possession of the training data which may or may not confirm a loss of pace. 

Speaking from personal, far lower level experience, my pace over 50 metres didn't drop off after a bad ACL injury but my decision making turning/changing direction was definitely affected by a sub conscious need to protect my knee hence making me seem slower all round. 

I have every faith that Dwayne will select his best players. He has proved, beyond any doubt last season, that reputations mean nothing which is exactly as it should be. 
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 9:01am
I've watched enough players for enough years to be able to judge whether or not they're quick.It's not difficult to see that a man is slower than he used to be:in Fox's case it's obvious,painfully so.Obvious too is his stifness,seeming inability to turn with any speed:yes,the effect of an injury..
All the training,all the analysis,all the data-all the infrastructure exists to put the players on the field who are good enough to win games.We judge what we see in the 80 minutes of a match-that is what counts.That's what sells tickets and wins trophies .Fox has not perforned for years.End of.The fact that he's still skipper,poster boy and probably first choice is difficult to understand,but far more difficult to accept,and it probably reveals much of what is wrong with this sport.There is a real danger that the dwindling band of people who bother to go down to the Parc behave like North Korean functionaries,like fawning flunkeys afraid to point out the fact that Kim Jong Il has got a stupid haircut.Foxy is not good enough any more.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 10 September 2022 at 1:03pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 9:08am
Foxy defo lost pace he is less exposed at 12 tbh though i think the two williams boys should be our starting cente. Not sure why foxy is capt it’s an issue dwayne doesn’t need eg dropping your skipper. We also need to decide who are starting half backs are  and guve them a run of games, cawdor and sam for me

Edited by RR1972 - 10 September 2022 at 9:10am
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 10:50am
Just to clarify, unlike some others perhaps, I do still think Foxy has plenty to offer in the squad. I think he's a good guy to have around in training, a good guy for youngsters to learn from, and I'd certainly be looking at benching him, especially for the bigger games, because he's such an experienced player to bring on to help close out a narrow victory. I just think starting him at centre week in, week out is the wrong decision and may hinder the development of others.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 11:16am
Whose our back row? Not sure lezana blade and sione can offer enough at breakdown tbh josh has to start at 7 for me. If not morgan  could clean up there , snith is another good jackler for them. If lake plays we need to target their line out they also have no decent 15 so another area to target

Edited by RR1972 - 10 September 2022 at 11:21am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 11:31am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Whose our back row? Not sure lezana blade and sione can offer enough at breakdown tbh josh has to start at 7 for me. If not morgan  could clean up there , snith is another good jackler for them. If lake plays we need to target their line out they also have no decent 15 so another area to target

Good shout.Lake couldn't hit the mud if he jumped into Bury Port harbour,and I fancy we got a few jumpers to steal a few-all the more important to pick players with pace to take full advantage.
I fear you're right about the back-row,and was looking fwd to see Macleod come on v Newport.
Having said that,Booth cannot be relied upon to pick his best players,and his selection might well help us.
Peel said that the 2 friendlies  were trials,so I'm not sure what to make of things now.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 10 September 2022 at 11:40am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Good shout.Lake couldn't hit the mud if he jumped into Bury Port harbour,and I fancy we got a few jumpers to steal a few-all the more important to pick players with pace to take full advantage.
I fear you're right about the back-row,and was looking fwd to see Macleod come on v Newport.
Having said that,Booth cannot be relied upon to pick his best players,and his selection might well help us.
Peel said that the 2 friendlies  were trials,so I'm not sure what to make of things now.

We’ve hardly had a mass of new players like some other clubs. It’s basically exactly the same squad as last year. Yes there’s new coaches but it’s not ripping up the rule book. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 11:52am
It will be an interesting team selection with only one preseason match. Hope the boys can get a hit out behind closed doors. 
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 11:55am
Yes, a match against Dragons behind closed doors on Monday would surely be beneficial to both sides? 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

We’ve hardly had a mass of new players like some other clubs. It’s basically exactly the same squad as last year. Yes there’s new coaches but it’s not ripping up the rule book. 

You're not wrong.Peel made a point,though,more than once ,of referring to the 2 friendlies as "trials".He picked same pack to start both games.
Difficult to see who was on trial,esp. with 2nd game called off.Centres perhaps?
I'd like to see this backline start-
Cawdor,Costelow
Conbeer,JBW,,Baldwin,Mcnichol,Rogers.

crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 12:31pm
Think it will go ahead, the reason for the football was just in case fans were disrespectful during the match at any point towards the Queen. Not sure if that was the reason for the Welsh rugby also.

My team would be;
15. McNicholl 14. Rogers 13. Davies 12. S. Williams 11. Conbeer 10. Costelow 9. Hardy 8. Kalamafoni 7. Macleod 6. Thomson 5. Fifita 4. Lousi 3. Sebastian 2. Elias 1. Jones

16. Hughes 17. Thomas 18. O’Connor 19. J. Price 20. Lezana 21. Davies 22. Patchell 23. J. Williams. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 1:31pm
I hope the opposition write off Foxy as some of our supporters do,  he found some form towards end of last season and is still a force in Welsh rugby. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 4:24pm
 15, Mcnicoll
 14,Rogers
 13.J.Williams
 12,S.Williams
 11,Conbeer
 10,Costelow
 9,Cawdor
 1,Wyn 
 2,Elias
 3,Sebastian 
 4,Fifita
 5,Louisi
 6,Blade 
 8,Kalamafoni
 7,Lezana
Subs. 16,E James
          17,Patchell
          18,Hardy
          19,Thomas
          20,Hughes
          21,HOC
          22.T.Price 
          23. Macleod 
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 5:10pm
Foxy has played 1 game of rugby in pre season and is already being written off

We need to start backing our players and get behind them. Yes last season he wasnt at his best but hes had a nice pre season break, done a full pre season with us, looks to have lost some weight, i think hes going to be a key player for us this season
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 6:29pm
Is there any reason the game trial game against Dragons could not be played on Monday evening? It would give both teams players a good run out and provide some much needed income. It would also give the coach a better idea of who he should select for the Ospreys game.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2022 at 7:10pm

Five day turnaround not a chance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic