Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gareth Davies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gareth Davies
    Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:34am
Having watched the game again from Saturday,  I really worry about Gareths future at the top table.... im sure he is physically able to play at this level but his inactions at the base of the scrum or ruck often lead to us turning over the ball. I was able to count to 9 before he passed the ball to the backs, this happened numerous times before he was taken off. 
I can remember people screaming at Gareth when playing for wales, but his choice of delaying the ball getting out quickly seems to be getting worse.... im wandering if he's got some type of rugby dartiitis, where he cant pass the ball . 
Interesting/ worrying issue but I'm not sure why he continues with such actions
Sponsored Links

Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:51am
He definitely has something to give but I don’t think he’s first first choice anymore. He is just so slow getting the ball out and by the time he passes it the defensive line has already set and are waiting. His kicking was poor over the weekend. I think he’s more suited to an impact role and to close games out when we are in the lead and trying to waste time. We looked a completely different team when Hardy came on and the Kieran/Sam combo looks really good.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:18am
Yes I think Kieran/Sam has to be the starting combo this weekend.

I haven't always been a big Hardy fan, but credit where it's due, he put in a good performance Saturday and it's only fair that he is rewarded for that and given the chance to do the same again.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I haven't always been a big Hardy fan, but credit where it's due, he put in a good performance Saturday and it's only fair that he is rewarded for that and given the chance to do the same again.

I think the challenge for Hardy is to play like he did on Saturday every time he takes the field.Too many times in the past he has shown a lack of concentration.If he cuts that fault out of his game,he could touch greatness.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I think the challenge for Hardy is to play like he did on Saturday every time he takes the field.Too many times in the past he has shown a lack of concentration.If he cuts that fault out of his game,he could touch greatness.

Agreed, he often plays better when he comes off the bench, almost as if he has had his nose put out of joint by not starting & feels he has something to prove.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:46am
I’m a big fan of both Gareth and Kieran, but our best SH over the last 2 seasons has been Blacker. I’m sure Dane will get his chance when the international season starts. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

I’m a big fan of both Gareth and Kieran, but our best SH over the last 2 seasons has been Blacker. I’m sure Dane will get his chance when the international season starts. 

His kicking game is excellent,he's very quick and he runs great lines too.Unfairly criticised after the 1st game in South Africa and a bit forgotten since(by myself included).Overall he has been the best last few years.Maybe time for him and Hardy to battle it out?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:06pm
Got to say though,I think the future could well belong to Archie.
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:18pm

bold statement 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Llanelli1963 Llanelli1963 wrote:

bold statement 

Very.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 2:47pm
Cawdor has never been a great scrun half in terms of passing and kicking. However he had great speed and strength and a terrific eye for the line, that is starting to wane and his weaknesses are now more apparent. He has been wales premier 9 for the last 5 years but hardy is now the best 9 at the region and in wales imo, he should be starting for both ahead of cawdor and the defensivr turnstile from the blues. Cawdor can still be a good impact sub imo

Edited by RR1972 - 21 September 2022 at 2:47pm
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 3:02pm
Crikey moses, we've  played just one game this season and we've  already written off our two most experienced  Wales and Lions players.  Our rivals will be laughing their socks off at us.  Get a grip everyone and let's make judgements once they are match fit in a few weeks time.
Keep the faith
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Crikey moses, we've  played just one game this season and we've  already written off our two most experienced  Wales and Lions players.  Our rivals will be laughing their socks off at us.  Get a grip everyone and let's make judgements once they are match fit in a few weeks time.

I completely agree, Cawdor was one of the Scarlets best performing players at the tail end of last season and by far the best performing Welsh qualified scrum half.
He will have been hugely frustrated by not getting any game time in South Africa, particularly as Tomos was playing poorly. As a result he will have been pretty rusty on Saturday which was his first rugby since May.
The other pertinent point is that the Scarlets were completely out played by the Ospreys in the first 40 minutes, so Gareth was playing behind a pack going backwards and having to organise his defences before releasing the ball. In the second half the Scarlets pack were far better, providing Hardy with quick front foot ball, which he made good use of.
Lets not write him off yet and give him the chance to show what he can do in the coming games.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 3:39pm

It’s not about writing players off - it’s about rewarding good performances and punishing bad ones. The alternative option is to continue to pick players who aren’t putting in good enough performances in the name of ‘experience.’ The consequence of that is that others don’t get the chance to show their worth. Cawdor and Foxy put in performances that weren’t up to standard and therefore they should be demoted this weekend. I don’t think anyone is suggesting we don’t play them again this season - their chance to impress will inevitably come again due to injuries/international call-ups/squad rotation, but it’s right for us to look to a) reward good performances and b) provide opportunities for other players to prove their worth.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 4:36pm

that is all a bit head in the sand time tbh when was the last time we had a good run of games from that at regional level? Even great players (both were) get old . You have to judge on current form not from their heyday 

Edited by RR1972 - 21 September 2022 at 4:41pm
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 6:06pm
The biggest shock in grey powers post is the positivity...is he OK 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic