Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: poverty
    Posted: 20 October 2022 at 3:28am
In general, I try my best to steer clear of topics which don't involve Scarlets.
Recent events however have been so serious that, I feel almost obliged to share my feelings on matters close to me here in Llanelli.
In western European standards, we are talking of poverty here, and the situation has been bad for a while. Now however, the cost-of-living crisis means, it's a whole lot worse.

I live near Myrtle house food bank and have been donating to it for several years.
What we notice now however, is not just the elderly and those on benefit coming, its a host of others.
Its dreadfully worrying to see this, particularly young family's dependant on handouts.

I would like to tell a story of an elderly lady called Joan, living not too far away from me.
She struggled one week coming up our street carrying shopping bags, containing nothing but the cheapest tins etc. 
I offered to carry the bags, she wasn't happy, but I insisted. When I got to her little flat. I was shocked to see no carpet on the floor and very basic furnishings, and very little if any food there.
Joan had always worked as a cleaner (sometimes three jobs a day), but chronic arthritis meant she had to give up. At that time, she was on basic universal credit
Even before the energy crisis was anywhere near the horizon, this lady told me that she had to make a choice of eating or heating.
She wanted no hand-outs, but my wife insisted, that when we made Sunday lunch etc, that we took a plate. She was grateful for that.
I felt humble to think that this dignified, hardworking woman, was living like this.
Since then, she has had her pension, so things have eased slightly, but not much!

Up and down the country we have tales that mirror this one! Good people, who have worked hard, struggling. Some unsure that they can pay their bills let alone feed their families.

Let's cast our minds back to the architects of our misery, starting with David Cameron, and his mate George Oborne.
Both these guys, very wealthy millionaires, with no conception on how it is for ordinary working people to survive, let alone prosper.
Of course, these are public schoolboys, like Johnson representing leafy, plush constituencies, alien to places like Llanelli,
They introduced that wonderful word "AUSTERITY".
This was meant to be tightening our belts collectively and lowering the national debt.
Fine i thought, let's all pull together!
It didn't work out like that, and instead of sharing the load, our friend George decided to punish those least able to defend themselves, by a benefit squeeze.
Would he bring in a mansion tax for the rich. Of course not!
People like Joan began to suffer then, and it felt no-one was listening!

We then had Brexit and Theresa May. Pretty soon we realised Brexit wasn't going to work
particularly as the Tories had no plan or no intention of a deal with EU.
Who gets hurt, when prices rise. People like Joan, who cannot defend themselves!

Then of course, we had Boris, a man who couldn't tell the truth, if it slapped him in the face.
Here was a man of such appalling arrogance, but little attention to the detail of governance.
He had a grand idea of "levelling up", and appointed Michael Gove to administer it.
This was meant to ensure the inward investment came to places in the country which were struggling, particularly in the north.
Some felt that this was purely a cynical attempt to hang on to Red Wall seats, previously held by Labour.
A survey published the other day of local authorities in these allegedly "Red Wall" seats, showed that that there had been talk, but no real inward investment by the government!
So much for "levelling up", leaving the poorest to fend for themselves
We all know that lying and partying caught up with our friend Boris.
Breaking his own rules during Covid, while the rest of us stayed at home.
We all know that he was lucky to get away with just ONE police fine!
The most galling thing is that the Tories were quite happy to keep him there, until he obviously became an electoral liability.
He was then kicked out.

This of course brings us neatly to the present incumbent of no10.
Truss is a woman, who has ticked so many boxes and made Houdini style swivels in her positioning, on so many things, she has been able to climb the greasy Tory pole.
Unfortunately, too late, the Tories, and the country find, she is totally and utterly out of her depth, looking like a schoolgirl at a public speaking contest, when asked to address the country on the most serious pressing matters of the day!
She and her crazed "kamikaze Kwarteng" former chancellor, cook up a mini budget which puts the whole of British financial stability at risk.
Big Tax cuts for the wealthy and a drip down economy. The IMF and even joe Biden, comment on the madness happening at Downing St., regarding borrowing huge amounts of money for tax cuts, pushing up inflation
Would tax cuts helped the majority of Llanelli residents, very little.
What will affect them however is the higher Morgage rates, higher inflation, now a record (in recent times) of 10%, pushing up food prices and the cost of everyday living.
This pushes people like Joan, even nearer the poverty line and they face a real battle to survive this winter.

It's good to hear that pensions will rise in line with inflation, but no such guarantees for those people on benefits, and consequently, many people in Llanelli (and across the country), will struggle.
On top of this the new Chancellor Jeremy Hunt (loved by so many in the health service after his stint as health secretary) announces that help with energy bills will only now last until next April, not 2 years as was originally planned.
The future is so uncertain, for so many people.

It is clear that if the Tories kick out Truss, that will be 4 PM's in 6 years, and three removed.
The mandate, they won, partly on the back of Brexit, and partly on the back of Corbyn's unpopularity has evaporated. 
Senior conservative backbencher Charles Walker described the bullying by Tory whips in the chamber as "inexcusable ", and a "disgrace", as they attempted to force backbench MPs into the division lobbies prior to the vote on fracking and confidence in the government.
he also said that "he expects the PM to resign soon, as she is not up for the job"

The key thing now, is that we need an election.
Tories, MOST not all (as there are some fair minded, decent MP's who will put country before party) will not want one, as turkeys don't vote for Xma's.
We could find slippery Sunak returning or more middle of the road Penny Mordant.

The key issue is this, we cannot wait for another 2yrs or 18 months to see the back of this rabble.
I look around Llanelli and see stagnation, I see despair and see suffering.
WE OWE IT TO PEOPLE LIKE JOAN, SHE RAISED A FAMILY, WORKED ALL HER LIFE, LIVING DECENTLY, QUIETLY, NOW HER REWARD IS THIS!
Community matters, people matter, caring matters.
If it doesn't what are we, a group of assorted induvial flung together?
I dispute that, even in a town where anonymity is sometimes easy.

We ALL need to stand together boldly now, shoulder to shoulder and speak with one voice for change.
Maybe then, we can move a little closer to a better, fairer, more caring society we all deserve and crave!

I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

sreve19 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sreve19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 6:51am
I'm sure you can find some political forum to air this, this is a rugby forum 🤷🏼‍♂️
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 7:34am
Originally posted by sreve19 sreve19 wrote:

I'm sure you can find some political forum to air this, this is a rugby forum 🤷🏼‍♂️

Technically pimp should have posted this under chat board or random but he is well within our rules, I believe, in posting such a topic. In my experience this forum is not confined to rugby related matters & in my opinion that makes it far more interesting. 
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:44am
I agree wholeheartedly with Pimps statement however let's not pretend that Labour would be much better. Tony Blair was more Tory than the Tories, he privatised prisons parts of the health service etc he took us to an illegal war and was also privately educated, the current Labour leader is also privately educated and part of the same tory gang/club. My worry is that there isn't a person in that pretentious cesspit of self-effacing oxygen thieves that I would want to represent me in parliament.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:57am
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with Pimps statement however let's not pretend that Labour would be much better. Tony Blair was more Tory than the Tories, he privatised prisons parts of the health service etc he took us to an illegal war and was also privately educated, the current Labour leader is also privately educated and part of the same tory gang/club. My worry is that there isn't a person in that pretentious cesspit of self-effacing oxygen thieves that I would want to represent me in parliament.

That has to be one of the best descriptions of the house of Commons I have ever read.ClapHow about Andy Burnham???
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:59am

Labour would be less worse..
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 9:40am

It’s all about winning. Corbyn failed appallingly. Blair was a winner - because he won 3 General Elections. The Middle East war was clearly a mistake based on bad information and American obsession on freeing the world ( apart from themselves!!).Blair’s government at home did well . Labour must win next time 🙏
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 9:53am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It’s all about winning. Corbyn failed appallingly. Blair was a winner - because he won 3 General Elections. The Middle East war was clearly a mistake based on bad information and American obsession on freeing the world ( apart from themselves!!).Blair’s government at home did well . Labour must win next time 🙏

Yes reesy I totally agree. Lets face it if they don't win the next time against this party with their abysmal record then they are going to be in the political wilderness for many years. However winning is only the first step - they then have to govern responsibly. Surely their priority has to be the NHS/Social care and raising people out of the poverty trap. As usual, of course, there will no easy fixes as World class health & social care costs money which will have to come in the form of taxation. 

I have been a long time fan of some sort of salary levelling up for FTSE 250 companies based on the rewards offered to the CEO and the lowest paid employee. There should be a % mechanism which governs the disparity between the top and lowest earners which would end for good things like Bankers getting millions in bonuses while some in the organisation get minimum wage. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 10:29am
Does it matter if a person is privatley educated? As long as they are the best person for the job that smacks of reverse snobbery to me. Truss went to a state school she is hopeless. Blair was a great labour leader did loads of great things minimum wage, gay marriages, and good friday agreement give me hin over any pm in my life time

Edited by RR1972 - 20 October 2022 at 10:32am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 11:40am
Isn’t wales Labour so not wholly innocent. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 11:49am
By the next election the only way a tory will be elected is by PR 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

By the next election the only way a tory will be elected is by PR 
nailed on they still get over 100 seats
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 12:14pm
Yes unfortunately that could be true , but at least we will never see this fiasco again when they will have to learn to negotiate and act like adults
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Does it matter if a person is privatley educated? As long as they are the best person for the job that smacks of reverse snobbery to me. Truss went to a state school she is hopeless. Blair was a great labour leader did loads of great things minimum wage, gay marriages, and good friday agreement give me hin over any pm in my life time

It shouldn't do, no, but the actual issue is that of diversity. In 2020, 65% of Johnson's cabinet were privately educated compared to 7% of the population. So on a person by person basis of course should be the best for the job, however, this quoted stat says to me that something, somewhere is unfair in our society...

I found this for the 2017 election, can't find the equivalent for 2019. If it truly didn't matter for deciding MPs then you would expect a much closer distribution to overall public.

Over half of MPs went to comprehensives – but a career in politics is still  far from accessible | British Politics and Policy at LSE

Edited by dr_martinov - 20 October 2022 at 1:29pm
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:30pm
Oh and how about this one, below.

So, I do think it's important and relates to the topic of poverty within our society as we have a system that is appears rigged.

But certainly being horrible to people because of their education is a bad trap to fall in to, completely agree this is not the way to go. There's loads of different types of "independent school" as well for a variety of reasons, e.g. religion. But nonetheless trends are clear and large scale reform is needed really.
Private school and Oxbridge take top jobs - BBC News

Edited by dr_martinov - 20 October 2022 at 1:32pm
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:41pm
The point of being privately educated is that Labour have always made it an issue. You are correct it should be best person for the job. As for Saint Blair and the Good Friday agreement there are many who would contest that, admittedly there aren't main land bombings like the 80's and 90's however it hasn't gone away, and the divisions are still there. As for Andy Burnham seems to talk well but very regional based, he won't get anywhere near Starmers PC front bench though and he will be the first who probably look to stoke up issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic