Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

The point of being privately educated is that Labour have always made it an issue. You are correct it should be best person for the job. As for Saint Blair and the Good Friday agreement there are many who would contest that, admittedly there aren't main land bombings like the 80's and 90's however it hasn't gone away, and the divisions are still there. As for Andy Burnham seems to talk well but very regional based, he won't get anywhere near Starmers PC front bench though and he will be the first who probably look to stoke up issues.

It is a pretty clear example of something unfair in our society. If you argue that it should be the best person for the job, then the distribution of privately educated would be the same as for the general public for the above jobs. They're not, so either "better people for the job" happen to have gone to independent schools or there are aspects of their appointments that are unfair. I have no issues with a political party pointing this out and campaigning to address it.
Sponsored Links

scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:50pm
My boy would fall into the privately educated group, but he is a sports scholarship yet would count as private as would I dare say the 5% of footballers above. It is despairing at what is available to lead us.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

My boy would fall into the privately educated group, but he is a sports scholarship yet would count as private as would I dare say the 5% of footballers above. It is despairing at what is available to lead us.

Yeah, and I know it can be a bit of a touchy subject as well - I think in part because your education is usually not something you yourself have chosen, but we are talking general trends, that sort of thing. I'd agree Labour types seeking to create these massive divides based on school type isn't that helpful, but highlighting unfairness is... can be a fine line.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 6:19pm
I personally don’t think the cost of living crisis is as big as the media portrays it. 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I personally don’t think the cost of living crisis is as big as the media portrays it. 

The media are publishing actual data that demonstrates the cost of living is a crisis for many people,  if you don't  eat, heat your home or pay a mortgage then I guess things aren't  too bad.
Keep the faith
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 7:21pm

Are you on a troll?my kids  mortgages are going to nearly double petrol is shooting up again and food is going up day by day not to mention gas and electric prices I think everyone else hoping for the crassest post of the year can forget it as you've won hands down.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 7:48pm
It's the austerity thing that gets to me. The UK currently has a Tax/GDP ratio of 34%. The average EU Countries Tax/GDP ratio is 41%. That equates to a £150 Billion difference. In Wales's context, given the 55/45 split between Welsh Govt budget & UK spending on behalf of Wales, it would amount to an additional £4 Billion for our public services. When people say there's no money, it's not true. What is lacking is the political will to raise taxes. If we want better services and to close the deficit we will have to raise taxes. The right will howl and wail over it, but it's classic Keynsian economics. That's money that will come back into the economy via public spending that at present, largely ends up in the bank accounts of the wealthy. 

Well, that's my opinion for what it's worth.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 7:48pm

You must be in jail.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:57pm
If i could afford to send my kids to a fee paying school too right i would. As did corbyns parents did and  as did dianne abbott with her kids. We all want the best for our kids, labour mps bamg on about fee paying schools but they choose them for their kids. Let’s be honest both major parties are dominated by university graduate ex civil servants, solicitors and career politicians there are next to no working class heros who have raised themselves from the shop floor to a position of power in either party. Rayner has in fairness but she can barely strimg a sentence together 

Edited by RR1972 - 20 October 2022 at 9:13pm
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

It's the austerity thing that gets to me. The UK currently has a Tax/GDP ratio of 34%. The average EU Countries Tax/GDP ratio is 41%. That equates to a £150 Billion difference. In Wales's context, given the 55/45 split between Welsh Govt budget & UK spending on behalf of Wales, it would amount to an additional £4 Billion for our public services. When people say there's no money, it's not true. What is lacking is the political will to raise taxes. If we want better services and to close the deficit we will have to raise taxes. The right will howl and wail over it, but it's classic Keynsian economics. That's money that will come back into the economy via public spending that at present, largely ends up in the bank accounts of the wealthy. 

Well, that's my opinion for what it's worth.

Thank you totallybiasedscarlet, for that excellent post, getting to the heart of why I instigated the post in the first place.

Truss attempted to pull a stunt that would see huge gains (tax cuts) made by the wealthiest, while the rest of us languished, with little reward, and the majority in Llanelli, none at all.
All this was done by borrowing huge of amounts of money, causing markets to crash.
She has now paid the price, is totally humiliated, and rightly so.

I wonder how truss and kwarteng thought they were going to plug the gaps in NHS funding. God knows!
The NHS is broken, staffed by dedicated, overworked individuals.
Ambulance waiting times, are shocking, putting people's lives at risk.
My wife has dementia and suffers with serious thyroid issues and calcium deficiency, which can lead to organ failure.
We waited all day for an ambulance 6 months ago when my wife was quite ill, and then waited ages outside Glangwili.
Staff, both ambulance and at hospital were amazing.

The issue as we know is bed blocking, due to funding issues for care in the community, (regarding patient release) and the closing of community hospitals, like Myndd Mawr,in Tumble, where my wife once worked. There is some extra capacity at PPH now, to cover this but not adequately so. Really poor decision, and this is replicated throughout the country
A friend of mine was a bed manager a local hospital and had the awful task of having to tell patients, or their relatives that their operation had been cancelled, due to lack of beds.
Its dreadful and so sad, as and some of those patients had cancer and other serious ailments.

Was Sunak's Nat insurance rise targeted to raise funds for NHs, not sure, but with the backlog after Covid still apparent, something has to be done.
This takes us back neatly totallybiasedscarlets point on tax.
If we want an NHS, free to the point of delivery, someone one has to paye venif its through tax
It's not just the sick, the elderly, the vulnerable, it could be any of us, or our families that could be desperately in need at any given time

The overriding theme of this thread was POVERTY, with which Health issues are interlinked, (as above) as many poor people, due to inadequate diet etc, have ongoing health issues
Tories from Cameron to Truss have not dealt with any of these things including reorganisation of the health boards.
In Wales the devolved administration has to accept some responsibility for failings as do the health boards such as Betsi Cadwaladr, where there have been huge failings.
If, however national government is not committed and will not, in real terms, either pay its NHS staff what they deserve, OR underpin the finances settlements for all UK devolved administrations regarding health, then we are real trouble.

This is just one of the many reasons, as indicated in my leader post, for this thread,
why we need an AN ELECTION.
We need clarity, a new vision and a fresh approach to these crucial issues, affecting our lives.

Finally, can I say when I finished teaching, I did supply for a while, but by that stage I had enough of the classroom, as much as I enjoyed it.
for the next seven years, I worked as a cleaner, in an around the Llanelli area, in Supermarkets, pubs, shops. I did this to support my daughter in higher education then further education, as she had left home 
As a cleaner you were not always treated well, and I know how difficult it could have been, if I had to actually LIVE off the minimum wage, I earned. Many have to (like Joan)
These are people who are now going to be struggling, and whose voices need to be heard. These are the people, with the crisis deepening who will be facing the poverty trap

I stood yer on tanner bank
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 7:47am
Good posts TBS & pimp. The tax issue is fundamental to the future prosperity of the country. Of course selling the idea of tax increases is a tough one with voters but a good serious politician can surely make the case for increases in order to improve the NHS & care for the less well off and those who need help. 

Our next door neighbour, recently widowed, is 85 and suffers with alzheimers. She has no children. She cannot make her own breakfast or indeed remember her daily medication. Social services understand what she needs to carry on living at home but do not have the people to give the care so their only suggestion was to sell her home and move into a nursing home. 

My wife & I were not happy with this solution so my wife now provides her with care morning & evening. It only takes her 1.5 hours a day but it sets our neighbour up for the day, gives her good nutrition and she gets her medication. It is heartbreaking to see someone who once made a real contribution to society - paying her taxes, working for 40+ years being neglected. There are millions of similar stories throughout the country. When are the government going to realise that providing care for elderly, vulnerable people is not a burden which should be done by underpaid carers but a service which we should pride ourselves on giving to those who have contributed throughout their lives. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Are you on a troll?my kids  mortgages are going to nearly double petrol is shooting up again and food is going up day by day not to mention gas and electric prices I think everyone else hoping for the crassest post of the year can forget it as you've won hands down.

No I’m not. Of course it affects people, and a lot of people, obviously my personal observations in general life and my job are totally different. 

Edited by SA14 - 21 October 2022 at 8:50am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 8:57am

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

No I’m not. Of course it affects people, and a lot of people, obviously my personal observations in general life and my job are totally different. 

How does that explain your comment that you consider the cost of living crisis not to be as large as the media portray it?????? If you personally are not being overly affected by a 10% increase in inflation & you don't have a mortgage or are fortunate that your mortgage deal still has some time to run or indeed you do not consider a fourfold increase in energy costs with winter on its way to be a problem then you are one of the fortunate few.

I would suggest that perhaps in future you spare a thought for those not as well off as you clearly are. 
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 9:09am
Agree GPR. My wife is a manager at an organisation which provides care to clients with what are described as challenging needs. An issue  is retaining care staff when they can earn more at the local Tesco for more straight forward less responsible and in some cases less dangerous work. Increasing pay isn’t straight forward  a lot of the funding comes from public bodies whose budgets are being cuts and who are looking to reduce what they pay to support clients so creating a viscous circle .
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Agree GPR. My wife is a manager at an organisation which provides care to clients with what are described as challenging needs. An issue  is retaining care staff when they can earn more at the local Tesco for more straight forward less responsible and in some cases less dangerous work. Increasing pay isn’t straight forward  a lot of the funding comes from public bodies whose budgets are being cuts and who are looking to reduce what they pay to support clients so creating a viscous circle .

Spot on. My wife & I have been dealing with the care system on behalf of my neighbour for some months now. It is not the fault of the individual social workers who are well qualified to understand a person's needs but the overall budget and importance it is given in wider society. Knowing someone needs two 45 minute visits a day is one thing but finding the staff is another ball game all together. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Spot on. My wife & I have been dealing with the care system on behalf of my neighbour for some months now. It is not the fault of the individual social workers who are well qualified to understand a person's needs but the overall budget and importance it is given in wider society. Knowing someone needs two 45 minute visits a day is one thing but finding the staff is another ball game all together. 
Experienced the same with mother in law regarding carers in the end we found a girl who was starting a business giving private care which was £15 an hour or more if it was personal care which was worth to take the pressure off my 65 yr old wife and her 70 yr old sister but mum fell and broke her femur 7 weeks ago today and is still in hospital having had 2 chest infections and pneumonia and weighing around 4 stone at 95 years old.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic