Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2022/23 Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 6:36am
I don't know the exact details, but quite a few guys listed are not out of contract, some that are talked about as being around in the future, are out. So it's all speculation, but with good intent. 23 players out of contract offers up lots of interesting possibilities.

Our NWQ players generally haven't delivered for us (Kalamafoni being the massive exception).
I don't mean by this that they aren't good players, but if we are being cut throat then these are the guys that we invested in, quite heavily I'd imagine, to be around to bring experience ,and ideally leadership, plus be available in the key international windows.
A cocktail of injuries, suspensions and call ups have prevented that. Lousi and Fifita are great players, and when in the shirt, do deliver, but they won't be on the plane to SA due to a mix of suspensions and call ups by Tonga ( worried Kalamafoni could could called up to...who could blame Tonga for that).

Sebastien wasn't called up by Scotland this time ( but was in previous campaigns), and will be the next taxi off the rank if there's a Scotland prop injury.

Likewise Lezana and Thomson have been part of international squads ( maybe not so going forward), but have also missed a lot of rugby recently.

Purely speculatively, I think Lezana, Sebastien and Thomson may move on.
Likewise it's clear that Patchell isn't first choice for the 10 shirt this season, I guess that to signals an exit. WGJ clearly hasn't put a marker down and doesn't seem to have fitted in for whatever reason, and is now our 3rd choice TH.
One of the 3 SH's will move on, it's one of either Blacker of Hardy.

That alone is quite a few shirts to fill, some of which we can see coming through the system, but some are not so clear.

As a point of interest our average squad age surprised me at 26 years and 7 months, it's younger than both Cardiff (27 years and 8 months) and the Ospreys (27 years and 5 months), and is exactly the same as Leinster's.

Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I don't know the exact details, but quite a few guys listed are not out of contract, some that are talked about as being around in the future, are out. So it's all speculation, but with good intent. 23 players out of contract offers up lots of interesting possibilities.

Our NWQ players generally haven't delivered for us (Kalamafoni being the massive exception).
I don't mean by this that they aren't good players, but if we are being cut throat then these are the guys that we invested in, quite heavily I'd imagine, to be around to bring experience ,and ideally leadership, plus be available in the key international windows.
A cocktail of injuries, suspensions and call ups have prevented that. Lousi and Fifita are great players, and when in the shirt, do deliver, but they won't be on the plane to SA due to a mix of suspensions and call ups by Tonga ( worried Kalamafoni could could called up to...who could blame Tonga for that).

Sebastien wasn't called up by Scotland this time ( but was in previous campaigns), and will be the next taxi off the rank if there's a Scotland prop injury.

Likewise Lezana and Thomson have been part of international squads ( maybe not so going forward), but have also missed a lot of rugby recently.

Purely speculatively, I think Lezana, Sebastien and Thomson may move on.
Likewise it's clear that Patchell isn't first choice for the 10 shirt this season, I guess that to signals an exit. WGJ clearly hasn't put a marker down and doesn't seem to have fitted in for whatever reason, and is now our 3rd choice TH.
One of the 3 SH's will move on, it's one of either Blacker of Hardy.

That alone is quite a few shirts to fill, some of which we can see coming through the system, but some are not so clear.

As a point of interest our average squad age surprised me at 26 years and 7 months, it's younger than both Cardiff (27 years and 8 months) and the Ospreys (27 years and 5 months), and is exactly the same as Leinster's.

Our average squad age may be younger but Dwayne idea of our first team will be markedly older I would guess. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 8:19am
It's probably diluted by injuries a bit this season, but the likes of Carwyn, Joe Roberts, Tom Rogers, Kemsley, Jac Price, Morgan Jones and a couple of others are either now available or imminently so, will be sure fire way of testing that theory out. All have game time under their belts previously. I guess Archie Hughes/Harri Williams will feature this week, maybe Josh Lewis and Eddie James in the 23 too.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 8:25am
I'd like to see Carwyn get some game time to help him develop so we can see more of him. Would also like to see him carrying the ball as a second receiver so he's not running into traffic. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's probably diluted by injuries a bit this season, but the likes of Carwyn, Joe Roberts, Tom Rogers, Kemsley, Jac Price, Morgan Jones and a couple of others are either now available or imminently so, will be sure fire way of testing that theory out. All have game time under their belts previously. I guess Archie Hughes/Harri Williams will feature this week, maybe Josh Lewis and Eddie James in the 23 too.

The thing is he is going to have to pick those players soon whether he wants to or not,  as the likes of halfpenny, ken and Hardy are with Wales Kalamafoni needs a week or two off. Injuries and suspension to other senior players also will dictate he has to go for those players mentioned. We will at least see if they are up to the job if not then we really are in a poor place as they are the best of our young blood coming through. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'd like to see Carwyn get some game time to help him develop so we can see more of him. Would also like to see him carrying the ball as a second receiver so he's not running into traffic. 

I thought the whole point was for him to run into traffic.
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

Originally posted by Lincscarlet Lincscarlet wrote:

Let's be honest, we are always going to have an uphill struggle recruiting due to our location, in the middle of nowhere and not exactly glamorous in the way that Cardiff, Manchester or London can be.   Add to that a few years poor form and sod all dollars in the bank and no idea if there will even be 4 regions in a couple of years time and it's got to be a tough job pitching coming to Llanelli to players who presumably have several options.  Did we only recruit Fifita because the other targets all said 'no thanks'?

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the WRU actually come through soon and put some form of multi-year deal in place so we have stability to offer new recruits, hopefully that light isn't a blydi train though.
Speak for yourself Bermuda boy. I have had to live in several "glamorous" cities including overseas and Cardiff. Couldn't wait to get back to Llanelli and wouldn't swap it for anywhere.

I fully agree with you, having neighbours in a village is bad enough let alone being in the big smoke.  But there's literally millions who don't agree.  Like.....young men with lots of disposable income, or players with families settled near London..... unfortunately it's a factor for a lot of players in all sports.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

The whole point is to make metres and get across the gainline allowing quick next phase ball. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 9:17am

The videos I saw of him when he was coming through the ranks always had him carrying slightly wider out than where first receiver usually is. This enabled him to run at shoulder & break the line more often than not.
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

Originally posted by Lincscarlet Lincscarlet wrote:

Let's be honest, we are always going to have an uphill struggle recruiting due to our location, in the middle of nowhere and not exactly glamorous in the way that Cardiff, Manchester or London can be.   Add to that a few years poor form and sod all dollars in the bank and no idea if there will even be 4 regions in a couple of years time and it's got to be a tough job pitching coming to Llanelli to players who presumably have several options.  Did we only recruit Fifita because the other targets all said 'no thanks'?

The light at the end of the tunnel is that the WRU actually come through soon and put some form of multi-year deal in place so we have stability to offer new recruits, hopefully that light isn't a blydi train though.
Speak for yourself Bermuda boy. I have had to live in several "glamorous" cities including overseas and Cardiff. Couldn't wait to get back to Llanelli and wouldn't swap it for anywhere.
I would hardly describe Lincoln as Bermuda the cathedral is nice but steep hill is a killer Big smile

You've clearly never visited Mablethorpe, 'the Bermuda of the North'.  Sometimes it gets above freezing. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The whole point is to make metres and get across the gainline allowing quick next phase ball. 

Since Jake left, we dont have anyone who can clear a ruck to allow us to generate quick ball....
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Feels harsh to say as hes still young and gets limited game time but Baldwin doesnt cut it for me. 

I'd be keeping Lezana too, dog of a player like Ed Kennedy

Agree re Baldwin. Defensively not up to standards at 13 or wing. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 10:24am

Since Jake left, we dont have anyone who can clear a ruck to allow us to generate quick ball....

Carwyn,I thought ,was to be a ball carrying option?If you want an 8 who avoids contact we can make do with a flanker there.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 10:49am

Carwyn,I thought ,was to be a ball carrying option?If you want an 8 who avoids contact we can make do with a flanker there.

I think when we saw him coming through the age groups he was really a ball carrying option given his size but when he is running into 2 big second rows that option is countered somewhat.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 11:05am

I think when we saw him coming through the age groups he was really a ball carrying option given his size but when he is running into 2 big second rows that option is countered somewhat.

He's been nurtured as a ball carrying 8.Could be another recruitment débacle,then.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 11:06am
I'll be honest the coaches will know better than me but for me he seems to come alive in the loose rather than the tight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic