Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2022/23 Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'll be honest the coaches will know better than me but for me he seems to come alive in the loose rather than the tight.

He doesn't seem to seek the collisions like a young Quinnell or Tarw used to,that's for sure.
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

Taking the same approach as you re: no emotions and logic, so I've split my departing players into 3 groups a full/semi retirement, a personal reasons and a release group.

Retire: Halfpenny, Jon Davies, Gar Davies, Kalamafoni, Shingler, Rawlins, Owens, P Price
Personal: McNicholl, Thomson, Sebastian
Release: St Evans, Patchell, T Price, Helps, WGJ, Jeffries, Sh Evans

BACK 3;
Tom Rogers, Ryan Conbeer, Ioan Nicholas, Callum Williams, (Iolo Griffiths, Academy)
Leigh Halfpenny, Johnny McNicholl, Steff Evans
CENTRE;
Johnny Williams, Scott Williams, Joe Roberts, Corey Baldwin, (Eddie James & Iestyn Gwilliam, Academy)
Jonathan Davies
FLY-HALF;
Sam Costelow, Dan Jones, (Josh Phillips & Tal Rees, Academy)
Rhys Patchell
SCRUM-HALF;
Kieran Hardy, Dane Blacker, Archie Hughes, Harri Williams
Gareth Davies
BACK ROW;
Josh Macleod, Tomas Lezana, Carwyn Tuipolotu, Dan Davis, Iestyn Rees, Iwan Shenton, (Luca Giannini, Academy)
Aaron Shingler, Blade Thomson, Sione Kalamafoni
LOCK;
Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Jac Price, Morgan Jones, Griff Evans, (Caleb Salmon, Academy)
Tom Price, Josh Helps, Lewis Rawlins
TIGHT-HEAD;
Samson Lee, Harri O'Connor
Will Griff John, Javan Sebastian, Alex Jeffries
HOOKER;
Ryan Elias, Dafydd Hughes, Taylor Davies, (Lewis Morgan, Academy)
Ken Owens, Shaun Evans
LOOSE-HEAD;
Wyn Jones, Steffan Thomas, Kemsley Mathias, (Sam O'Connor, Academy)
Phil Price
Squad Total: 33 (42 incl. Academy)

Based on this I would imagine we would be recruiting into the senior squad;
Back 3 - 1 or 2
Fly-Half - 1
Back Row - 1 or 2
Tight-Head - 2
And then there'd be a few academy/development player signings on top.

Squad Total: 38/40 (47+ incl. Academy) which I feel is about right, the 40 player mark.

The retiring group is pretty much self explanatory, I'd love to get another season out of a few of them I just don't see them reaching above 85% of their best.
I think both McNicholl and Blade will head back home post-RWC as that's the main reason they came and once it's gone they wont be around for the next one. Similar with Sebastian being Scottish based will help him.
It's difficult when you're taking someone's job away from them and I don't envy whoever is having these conversations with the players.
Steff Evans, Patchell, Tom Price, Will Griff John and Jeffries are not at the required level anymore to be worth re-contracting. 
I really didn't want to put Josh Helps or Shaun Evans in here, unfortunately we have too many quality hookers to keep Shaun as well and unless we see a drastic change is Helps physical game I don't see a place for him.

DISCLAIMER:
These are my own opinions, not any other persons or groups. Opinion is subject to change throughout the season pending performances.
Nice piece of work Mr Lee
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 10:35pm
Yes , well researched and I''m assuming that you have seen much more of the Academy players than I have.
I would be disappointed if we couldn't persuade Kalamafoni to stay for another season and to a lesser degree Halfpenny,      Mcnicholl and Patchell (instead of Dinky)
Now find us the replacements !!!!
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 11:14pm
Great posts in here! We've probably lost track of time- hard to believe it'll actually be the 2023/24 squad!

Tighthead we can't chop too much. HOC is a given to keep, but we need 2-3 more, as HOC has now been in the Wales periphery. WGJ, I hope he comes good. Javan I could see go to Scotland, and Lee is sadly injury prone. Then there's Jeffries, we loaned him to Saracens but he's stuck around here since, and I don't think is a bad player. We need two, say WGJ and Jeff to work out. Lee's injuries are just too much to bank on for him besides filling in here and there. We haven't really seen WGJ get a good long stint in yet, have we?

Loosehead looks better for sure. Steff and Kemsley coming up nicely.

Hooker, hard to tell. Elias is going to spend a chunk of the season with Wales, as will Ken until he retires. I'd keep Shaun Evans around, he's useful on the field and can cover back row. Keep Dad and Taylor, and I assume Ken is retiring after 2023 WC for this mental exercise right now.

Locks, well we know we need some. Should have gone for Lonsdale or Nott but there we are. Fifita still looks a 6 to me, just not the ballast in the second row come scrum. Lousi, Jac, and Morgan for now. Rawlins is 32 now and frequently injured so I think he's on his way out sadly. Helps another we haven't seen much of. Tom Price? Honestly not sure. Hoping Salmon works out, he could be a 4/5/6 perhaps?

More from me later!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 9:39am
There's 15/20 players out of contract every season so we might or might not see an overhaul of the squad, it'll depend on who's available, how much the out of contract players earn as well as how much Peel wants to keep players. 

The one's I'd guess will move on based on their game time (if they're out of contract) would be Phil Price, Jeffries, WGJ, one of Jac Price/Morgan Jones/Helps and Taylor Davies.

If we really want to have a shake-up it's the NWQ and non-Wales 38 high earners that we'll need to really look at as well as medium earners where the academy players could step in.

If they're out of contract I'd release Baldwin, Patchell, Lezana, Blade, Shingler, Rawlins, WGJ, Jeffries, Tom and Phil Price, Dan Davis and Taylor Davies, I'd resist the urge to release some of the other older players like Ken, Foxy, Scott and Halfpenny because there's only so much you can change things and you need day to day leadership in the squad. That should free up a decent amount to be able to shake things up.

This is all relatively minor though in my opinion, until we get the academy producing closer to the numbers it used to with a hard-working winning mentality then juggling a small budget is always going to be hit and miss. Not sure whether it's a coaching, resource or a gametime issue but I don't believe we haven't got the quality of young player in the region, fixing that will be our biggest win.

Edited by Gate12 - 27 October 2022 at 9:42am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

There's 15/20 players out of contract every season so we might or might not see an overhaul of the squad, it'll depend on who's available, how much the out of contract players earn as well as how much Peel wants to keep players. 

The one's I'd guess will move on based on their game time (if they're out of contract) would be Phil Price, Jeffries, WGJ, one of Jac Price/Morgan Jones/Helps and Taylor Davies.

If we really want to have a shake-up it's the NWQ and non-Wales 38 high earners that we'll need to really look at as well as medium earners where the academy players could step in.

If they're out of contract I'd release Baldwin, Patchell, Lezana, Blade, Shingler, Rawlins, WGJ, Jeffries, Tom and Phil Price and Taylor Davies, I'd resist the urge to release some of the other older players like Ken, Foxy, Scott and Halfpenny because there's only so much you can change things and you need day to day leadership in the squad. That should free up a decent amount to be able to shake things up.

This is all relatively minor though in my opinion, until we get the academy producing closer to the numbers it used to with a hard-working winning mentality then juggling a small budget is always going to be hit and miss. Not sure whether it's a coaching, resource or a gametime issue but I can't don't believe we haven't got the quality of young player in the region, fixing that will be our biggest win.

You mention 4 senior players you would keep partly for leadership qualities. I struggle to remember any of the 4 apart from Scott showing any such qualities over the past seasons. Leadership, for me, is not running around like a raving banshee but making correct decisions during critical periods of the game. Ken will always get stuck in giving his all but thats not leadership. 

The squad is going to undergo serious change with many reaching an age where they no longer justify their salaries whether covered 80% or not. The quality of the replacements will be very interesting. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 9:51am
I'd agree we've lacked leadership on the pitch but there's also day to day leadership, developing and advising younger players, having figureheads from the area etc.

I get the viewpoint to have a clear out but there is a danger it would unravel to new levels. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 9:58am
Will ken foxy halfpenny still be in the wales 38 post world cup? If not they become a lot more expensive but we do get them all season. I’d keep ken and halfpenny would be tempted to leave onr posdibly both of foxy and scott go

Edited by RR1972 - 27 October 2022 at 10:01am
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 10:45am
If Halfpenny is on reasonable wages post wc23, I'd definitely keep him even if it's just as bench cover.  A lethal boot in the NH weather is hard to come by but any deal would need to reflect he's no longer the 2013 vintage.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

If they're out of contract I'd release Baldwin, Patchell, Lezana, Blade, Shingler, Rawlins, WGJ, Jeffries, Tom and Phil Price and Taylor Davies, I'd resist the urge to release some of the other older players like Ken, Foxy, Scott and Halfpenny because there's only so much you can change things and you need day to day leadership in the squad. That should free up a decent amount to be able to shake things up.

This is all relatively minor though in my opinion, until we get the academy producing closer to the numbers it used to with a hard-working winning mentality then juggling a small budget is always going to be hit and miss. Not sure whether it's a coaching, resource or a gametime issue but I can't don't believe we haven't got the quality of young player in the region, fixing that will be our biggest win.

You mention 4 senior players you would keep partly for leadership qualities. I struggle to remember any of the 4 apart from Scott showing any such qualities over the past seasons. Leadership, for me, is not running around like a raving banshee but making correct decisions during critical periods of the game. Ken will always get stuck in giving his all but thats not leadership. 

The squad is going to undergo serious change with many reaching an age where they no longer justify their salaries whether covered 80% or not. The quality of the replacements will be very interesting. 

You can't measure leadership with your eye. The fact the likes of Ken have captained both the Scarlets and the Lions under different management would imply he probably has leadership qualities. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

You can't measure leadership with your eye. The fact the likes of Ken have captained both the Scarlets and the Lions under different management would imply he probably has leadership qualities. 

I get your point but my eye certainly was telling me to kick that penalty to make it 26-16 against the Ospreys.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 1:04pm

I get your point but my eye certainly was telling me to kick that penalty to make it 26-16 against the Ospreys.

Yeah that was dubious to be fair!LOL
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 1:19pm

Yeah that was dubious to be fair!LOL
I feel the need to mention that Ken is blameless of this.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 2:02pm
Yep, Ken was nowhere near that debacle and multiple managers have all either had him as captain or called him a leader over the years. 

Not sure whether it was a sign of Foxy starting to grow into the captains role or just plain frustration when he had to correct the ref in the connaught game.  'dropped on his shoulder' - 'no, head'- 'well, yeah, it was on his head but we're playing in ireland so we both know I'm not allowed to give a red'
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2022 at 2:14pm
Josh Hathaway Wales u20 full back has just joined Gloucester from us as of today. 

Anyone know much about him ? 
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Josh Hathaway Wales u20 full back has just joined Gloucester from us as of today. 

Anyone know much about him ? 
Yes, he was a Wales U20 fullback, and will play for Gloucester in the future!

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic