Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

50th Anniversary Dinner of 9-3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Carwyn

He beat the record for tries scored in a single season
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 2:38pm
Thanks dic
deilotywi93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deilotywi93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 3:20pm
I happen to know one of those quite well, and i can't imagine he'd have any interest in any type of media etc. I'd imagine the rest of those named are also of the same mould, would rather keep to themselves perhaps (at least I hope that's the reason)
deilotywi93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deilotywi93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Did the great andy hill get a mention at this anniversary? Our greatest ever try scorer by miles and top points scorer , multiple cup winner, scorer of the last penatly in the 9-3 victory...Yet he never gets a mention, Ive never even seen him interviewed?

strange how a small band of great players get interviewed all the time, yet theres so many we never hear from again. never heard from delaney, boobyers, simon davies, johnny griff, gary pearce, andy hill, the list is long and illustrious

I happen to know one of those quite well, and i can't imagine he'd have any interest in any type of media etc. I'd imagine the rest of those named are also of the same mould, would rather keep to themselves perhaps (at least I hope that's the reason)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 3:34pm

It's so sad that Andy Hill  as not turned up to many if any of the anniversary  dinners in last ten years or so. 😢
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 6:59pm
Why 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 7:05pm

Just refuses to attend.. I find it very strange. 
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 2:40am
He should still be mentioned for his remarkable achievements 
sir duckling tuft
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 8:25am

Most certainly Andy was a great servant of Scarlets Rugby!  And a real character.. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Most certainly Andy was a great servant of Scarlets Rugby!  And a real character.. 

Yes he was.
I remember, as a youngster,  going to games with my gradfather.
After one game, we were about to go home , when we spotted Andy Hill in the car park.
Out came the autograph book..and enthusiastic,  as I was went on to him.
In the game We had just seen, he scored several tries and kicked a shedful of points.
Despite all this you would never find a more humble person, who seemed surprised that I asked him for his autograph. 
He was so pleased  when we told him about what we thought regarding his performance ( not that he needed reminding from us LOL).
I would give anything  to have a chance to thank him again for all the pleasure he has given us.

Great player,  and a lovely modest individual! 
I stood yer on tanner bank
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 12:42pm
I remember in the 70's we were playing Northampton away. The team went up on the Friday night but Andy couldn't make it, we were going up on Sat morning on the supporters bus. We picked Andy up in Swansea, to be fair he didn't sit with the older guys in the front, he saw us young lads at the back and he came to sit amongst us, made our day.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by insidehalf insidehalf wrote:

I remember in the 70's we were playing Northampton away. The team went up on the Friday night but Andy couldn't make it, we were going up on Sat morning on the supporters bus. We picked Andy up in Swansea, to be fair he didn't sit with the older guys in the front, he saw us young lads at the back and he came to sit amongst us, made our day.

Great story, and typical of Andy!
I stood yer on tanner bank
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

The great Andy Hill one of my boyhood heroes.....if he wants a quiet life...good on him.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 4:41pm
out of curiosity mark how much was it?
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 4:53pm
quiet or not I say he deserves a room at the parc named after him , his achievements are simply to remarkable to be ignred....steve jenkins is doing fantastic murals all around the town, why not have one or 2 down the parc of some of these legends of yesteryear...you go to anfield and its surronded by murals of rush, dalglish and the greats, adds a tremendous amount to the character to the place

Edited by Sir Duckling Tuft - 09 November 2022 at 5:03pm
sir duckling tuft
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Did the great andy hill get a mention at this anniversary? Our greatest ever try scorer by miles and top points scorer , multiple cup winner, scorer of the last penatly in the 9-3 victory...Yet he never gets a mention, Ive never even seen him interviewed?

strange how a small band of great players get interviewed all the time, yet theres so many we never hear from again. never heard from delaney, boobyers, simon davies, johnny griff, gary pearce, andy hill, the list is long and illustrious

Andy used to live in the same street as my mother in law in Gorseinon. Lovely guy, always a smile and and hello. Also a great player, who was one of my hero's in the 70s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic