Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh team v Argentina.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 8:21am
Also LRZ at fullback went far better than expected. We certainly shouldn’t get carried away and declare it as his new permanent position, but I do agree he should play there the next couple of games and see how he goes. He can be very dangerous with the time and space he gets with the ball in hand at full back.
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Lincscarlet Lincscarlet wrote:

7 penalties conceded in 12 minutes???? What are they coaching in the wales camp? 

The Scarlets way?
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 12:34pm
I like penalties as it gives me time to go to the toiletBig smile
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 8:17am
I don't think the coaches can be blamed for the penalties, a lot of it is over eagerness to get off the line. Make no mistake, Argentina are a tough team to play against & that was a big victory for us, we got better as the game went on. LRZ, Ken, Tomos & Tompkins impressed the most for me.

I feel sorry for Tompkins as he, for me, is currently one of the first names on the teamsheet & he keeps getting taken off early when playing well. The best move would have been to take Cuthbert off & move North to wing.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I don't think the coaches can be blamed for the penalties, a lot of it is over eagerness to get off the line. Make no mistake, Argentina are a tough team to play against & that was a big victory for us, we got better as the game went on. LRZ, Ken, Tomos & Tompkins impressed the most for me.

I feel sorry for Tompkins as he, for me, is currently one of the first names on the teamsheet & he keeps getting taken off early when playing well. The best move would have been to take Cuthbert off & move North to wing.

I cannot share your sympathy for Tompkins - I find myself for once agreeing with Pivac. He is all action I admit but I fail to see any end product. He isn't big enough to take the ball up so you expect a clever kicker/distributor which he is neither. His passing is woeful for an international 12 & he isn't the best defensively. For me he wouldn't be in the squad let alone the team. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 8:51am
9, 10, 12, 13 remains a problem for Wales, we haven't really got anyone in any of those positions that offers control and attacking prowess and haven't for a while. Out of all the older players the 1 I'd probably have brought back would have been Webb if it's a case of not looking further than the WC.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 9:07am
I thought priestland played well when he came on in fairness
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 9:41am
Yeah he was good, the game suited him when he came on.

If we're not looking further that the WC and going to try and bludgeon our way through a la Gats then we could do a lot worse than having Webb, Priestland, JBW and North as our 9, 10, 12, 13 combo.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

If we're not looking further that the WC and going to try and bludgeon our way through a la Gats then we could do a lot worse than having Webb, Priestland, JBW and North as our 9, 10, 12, 13 combo.

Webb is playing as well/better than Cawdor & Hardy thats for sure but surely the idea must be to play with tempo so, for me, Tomos and we should give Blacker a start this weekend. Priestland was assured & can close out a game with good tactical kicking but as above we must surely be looking to play with tempo.

We are not going to succeed in 6 nations or World Cup by trying to bully teams. Ireland, France & England will more than match us up front; we don't have a dominant scrum; without Francis we don't trust our bench tight head with more than 10 minutes; our lineout is iffy & we are short of carriers. Pivac's selections have been scatter gun with no sign of a co-ordinated playing style. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 9:56am
I want us to go strong this weekend, rather than make the usual wholesale changes, & actually look to put a big score on Georgia. 

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Webb is playing as well/better than Cawdor & Hardy thats for sure but surely the idea must be to play with tempo so, for me, Tomos and we should give Blacker a start this weekend. Priestland was assured & can close out a game with good tactical kicking but as above we must surely be looking to play with tempo.

We are not going to succeed in 6 nations or World Cup by trying to bully teams. Ireland, France & England will more than match us up front; we don't have a dominant scrum; without Francis we don't trust our bench tight head with more than 10 minutes; our lineout is iffy & we are short of carriers. Pivac's selections have been scatter gun with no sign of a co-ordinated playing style. 

I'd agree with all that but we don't appear to be looking to play a high tempo game so might as well select a team that can defend, kick well and have some gain line who can do a job against Fiji and potentially Oz. We've then probably got England who we could potentially frustrate and see where we go from there.

We're nearly there now in terms of the WC so can't see a big shift in selection or style.
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 12:21pm
my summary:

When we cut out the lazy penalties, we took control for 50 minutes.  If we can give away 6 or less a game going forwards we will always have a chance. 

What Priestland offers is a calm head and a big boot, I quite like the idea of him on the bench to close out games.  Anscombe...never been a fan, I don't think he's up to it but the coaches do.  You used to be able to count and every 3rd pass he received he would kick it away - regardless of other options.  Would love to see Sam get a start at 10, I imagine his line kicking is holding him back at the moment. 

Tomos Williams had a good game, he's inconsistent but which welsh 9 isn't out of the current crop?  His defence was really good and I would imagine that's one of the things the coaches like about him. 

Tipuric didn't really offer much aside from a few tackles, thoroughly shown up by Jac Morgan.  When Elias came on at 6 I had flashbacks of Ken playing 8 for us the other year lol.   It's a shame we can't play them both at the same time because we sorely need ball carriers in the pack.  Would be very interested to see Josh and Jac with Faletau as the back row for the next 2 games.

It's a bit worrying that Pivac has had 3.5 years to get an A team and a B team in place with a unified game plan and playing style, yet we seem to have none of that.  Still, it's not going to change so I'll just be crossing my fingers until the world cup.  With Italy looking better with every game, scotland consistently inconsistent, ireland and france demolishing everyone and england full of big game players the 6N should be pretty tasty next year is all I can say.
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 6:16pm
app

Wales have suffered a double blow before the Tests against Georgia and Australia, with flanker Dan Lydiate and lock Will Rowlands ruled out by injury.

Ospreys' Lydiate damaged an arm and Dragons' Rowlands hurt a shoulder in last weekend's win against Argentina.

Wales coach Wayne Pivac has called up two uncapped locks, Exeter's Dafydd Jenkins, 19, and Ospreys' Rhys Davies, 24, into their squad.

But Pivac has not brought in a direct back-row replacement for Lydiate.

Wales face Georgia in Cardiff on Saturday, having bounced back from defeat by New Zealand to beat the Pumas.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 6:30pm
We lose a lock and 6 call up two locks. Why aren’t moriarty or waiwright called up for lydiate?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I want us to go strong this weekend, rather than make the usual wholesale changes, & actually look to put a big score on Georgia. 

adams back for wknd get him on. I take it lrz misses the oz gane as out of test window?  I’d give him another go at 15, him adams and dyer be a rapid back 3 morgan and josh to start in back riw  be nice to see some one else get a start at 8

Edited by RR1972 - 14 November 2022 at 6:40pm
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 6:48pm
I’d start one of the young locks with Carter and the other on the bench this weekend. Let’s blood them early against Georgia and keep Beard and AWJ for Australia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic