Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sam Wainwright signs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 5:30pm
Is Jeffries still with us at TH he is a big lump but only remember him playing 2-3 times since we signed him.
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

Is Jeffries still with us at TH he is a big lump but only remember him playing 2-3 times since we signed him.

Still with us.
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 6:56pm
Thanks I take it not much of a future with us .
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's a half year trial, nothing to lose really.

The Georgian LH who came on was 6'6' and 135kgs ( explains things a bit) but is 20, in the academy at La Rochelle, and not started a pro game ( makes me scratch my chin again )

To be fair, Wales had a 19 year old rookie in the second row by then, so maybe the front row were not getting the support from behind?
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

The Georgian LH who came on was 6'6' and 135kgs ( explains things a bit) but is 20, in the academy at La Rochelle, and not started a pro game ( makes me scratch my chin again )

To be fair, Wales had a 19 year old rookie in the second row by then, so maybe the front row were not getting the support from behind?

That helps!

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 9:08pm
Tbh Beard doesnt offer too much either. Cant blame Jenkins alone
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 9:38pm
Can we sign the georgian insteadWink
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 12:45pm

The other thing I noticed is that for the last two scrums at least, Faletau wasn't really commited to the scrum and got up early making it a 7 man versus 8 man shove. Plus (disclaimer here - I'm no scrum expert) but the Georgian loose head slipped his bind and got right under Wainwright for that last penalty. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

The other thing I noticed is that for the last two scrums at least, Faletau wasn't really commited to the scrum and got up early making it a 7 man versus 8 man shove. Plus (disclaimer here - I'm no scrum expert) but the Georgian loose head slipped his bind and got right under Wainwright for that last penalty. 
For the last penalty, Rhodri Jones and Brad Roberts were destroyed before Sam took a step back.
Not saying he's going to be an asset, but judging anyone coming on for the second half in a team that had basically given up, isn't going to tell us much.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 9:58pm
The changing of all 3 starting front rowers was inevitably going to weaken the scrum and the plan of running much more of the ball in the second half was not implemented - not helped by Cuthbert's yellow card and other substitutions. Had we been able to move the ball wide the 135 Kg loose-head might have been more of a weakness than a weapon.
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 10:21pm
Rugby paper says Regions will know their budgets from the WRU then star planning signings 
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 10:22pm
Sorry in January they will know their budgets from WRU 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 8:32am
Not a fan of this model of intertwining club and county finances together and sharing success/failure. It's worked in Ireland because the IRFU built on the success of the foundations, feels like we were trying to do similar to it but in reverse order and it's falling apart.

Personally I'd prefer a much simply system of tv money, competition income and core funding with a reasonable fee for player release for matches and training and scrap the 80/20 payments.

If the clubs aren't successful in producing internationals then they don't get the player release payments and have to fund more of their squad themselves, likewise if the WRU incomes drop then there is no debate over club funding v a hotel or roofwalk, it goes to the clubs because you pay your suppliers first.

We need a more competitive edge in all areas, both on and off the pitch.

Edited by Gate12 - 21 November 2022 at 8:33am
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Not a fan of this model of intertwining club and county finances together and sharing success/failure. It's worked in Ireland because the IRFU built on the success of the foundations, feels like we were trying to do similar to it but in reverse order and it's falling apart.

Personally I'd prefer a much simply system of tv money, competition income and core funding with a reasonable fee for player release for matches and training and scrap the 80/20 payments.

If the clubs aren't successful in producing internationals then they don't get the player release payments and have to fund more of their squad themselves, likewise if the WRU incomes drop then there is no debate over club funding v a hotel or roofwalk, it goes to the clubs because you pay your suppliers first.

We need a more competitive edge in all areas, both on and off the pitch.
I’d love that. I don’t think the competition money alone would ever make it possible to put out a competitive squad in any competition though.
Our squad costs somewhere north of £7m, which will probably reduce next season, but add in a coaching team, physios, back room, etc.
It’s hard to see how we could ever spend less than £7-8m to run a team. Our actual costs are more than £10m usually.
The competitions we are in bring us around £3m in TV money. We probably get another £2m at most from gate and hospitality and maybe £1-2m in sponsorship.

So, we are dependent on WRU payments, or something else to turn up.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 8:02pm
Yeah there'd have to be some element of core funding but based on agreed metrics rather than an element of let's see how much spare cash there is year on year.

There's too much debate and time and effort spent on negotiating, they're shouldn't be any grey areas.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Yeah there'd have to be some element of core funding but based on agreed metrics rather than an element of let's see how much spare cash there is year on year.

There's too much debate and time and effort spent on negotiating, they're shouldn't be any grey areas.
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic