Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Football World Cup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football World Cup.
    Posted: 25 November 2022 at 8:12am
Not really that interested in this tournament frankly but I want to wish our boys the very best today against Iran. 
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 9:27am
They've completely nicked and overplayed Yma o Hyd. 

But yes good luck to them, good people talking about Wales so much.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 9:36am
Can't say they've overplayed it but I'll be honest I took my son to the play off semi final as he is football mad & the atmosphere there was better than any I have experienced at the Principality in recent memory.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 11:47am
Not really into football but Iran were way better than I expected. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 12:46pm
Wales were dreadful page the new pivacWinkWink
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Wales were dreadful page the new pivacWinkWink
Shame about the last 5 minutes or so with the sending off of the goalie and then 2 goals in injury time! ( although 2 nil was a reflection of the two sides and it could have been 4 nil ). I think we are now focusing quickly on our England game and at least looking to Wales putting in a decent performance as we have to face our English friends afterwards ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜‰

Edited by reesytheexile - 25 November 2022 at 1:41pm
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 1:43pm
Iran deserved that, and played better than against ENG, but Wales were poor.
We got out of jail V USA, but chickens came home tp roost today. This is the best squad of players we have had for a while and have done well to get us there.
Realistically though, Wales football have a smaller pool of talent available than our Rugby (and that's saying something) ๏ฟผLOL !

Too dependent on Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale, both anonymous (particularly Ramsey), and neither up to the rigorous demands of the tournament, as both have had continual injury problems and do not play regularly.
To add to that, quite a few other players in the Wales team, do not play enough top-class REGULAR football, and in a tournament like this you will be found out.

Page has done well with this squad up till now, but again his limitations have been exposed.
after an almost car crash 1st game, you would have thought, hang on system is'nt working, and individuals struggling within that framework.
I have said before that page is conservative and won't think on his feet. well, he needed to, and he didn't.
The system with wing backs and midfield set up with 3 central defenders, has worked well before, but was found to be creaking against USA, so you have to adapt.
Apadadu was only performer for me in midfield, so maybe gamble on Allen, otherwise he shouldn't have been there at all.
The players with the most pace, James and Johnson were on the side-lines, and should have started.
Page was also too slow to respond as well, when legs were tiring, and replacements needed.

Could be embarrassing against England, unless we perform better, and changes are made.
Aaron Ramsey, on the bench for me at best. His race is run I'm afraid.
He has been a brilliant player and at his best dazzling, injuries and age have caught up.
Gareth Bale, not far behind I am afraid, but clearly, he is one of the best Welsh sportsmen I have seen in my lifetime. Despite our disappointment today, would like to thank both Aaron and Gareth for their contributions of the years.
I stood yer on tanner bank
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 2:27pm
Wales population 3 million
USA population  332 million
Iran population  80 million

Looking at those figures we over achieved big time against USA
and losing only 2 nil, over achieved against Iran.  So well done Wales in even getting there in the first place.
Keep the faith
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

and losing only 2 nil, over achieved against Iran.  So well done Wales in even getting there in the first place.

If it was that straightforward every world cup final would be India v. China.

Football is the most popular sport in Wales, in the US it's behind at least four (NFL, hockey, basketball, baseball) but you're right, it is a large place and football is getting bigger there. Can't speak for Iran but I'd imagine infrastructure in Wales is better. Looking at number of professionals would be more useful, but Wales takes loads from England with a Welsh relative.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 2:57pm
I don't think Wales mastered the conditions at all. Long and/or diagonal and inaccurate balls to chase in 30 degree heat ( and it's oven hot not humidity hot...I was there on Wednesday for a layover..) is not the way to go. It also needs to have starting 11 that is fit and/or young.

The senior players to come on after an hour or so, or earlier if things go wrong.

Bale was at walking pace after an hour, and although Ramsey looked fitter, he had a very poor game.

Edited by Wil Chips - 25 November 2022 at 3:00pm
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 3:36pm
We were in  a tough group we need goalscorers who are prolific we have not got them  our defence has let us down Joe Allen got to do better  in clearing  

Referee had no choice but to send Hennessy off 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 5:44pm

I don't get this thing about population that people are using during the competition. That's like saying it's ok Georgia beat Wales in the rugby because their population is bigger. Is football the main sport in America then. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

If it was that straightforward every world cup final would be India v. China.

Football is the most popular sport in Wales, in the US it's behind at least four (NFL, hockey, basketball, baseball) but you're right, it is a large place and football is getting bigger there. Can't speak for Iran but I'd imagine infrastructure in Wales is better. Looking at number of professionals would be more useful, but Wales takes loads from England with a Welsh relative.

Absolutely correct, it was an abysmal performance from Wales and unacceptable.
If the rugby team performed like that, we would be going bananas!

To get there was amazing,
First time in my life I have seen a Welsh team in a tournament like this, so proud!
Having said that, it's the worst I have seen Wales playing in consecutive games.
As i said in the earlier post, there has been too much reliance on Ramsey and Bale for a while now, so Obviously the priority now is to blood some new talent to ensure that we make it to the next world cup, so this is not a "One off".

Page has also to take it on the chin for some poor decisions and real inflexibility.
Going forward he must learn from this.
Players are often comfortable with systems and patterns of playing, including formations.
To get us to WC, we have relied on 3 centre backs, supported by 2 wing backs and two midfielders.
That relied hugely on Joe Allen's ability to cover, and hold that deeper midfield, particularly as Ramsey is usually bombing up field. Apadau, did well as can be expected in this role, but without a fully fit Allen the back three were exposed time and again.
Page should have seen this coming but didn't.
I agree with Danny Gabbidon and play a 442 formation.
Whatever system we are playing, if people aren't delivering, you're on the ropes.
After saying that a different formation would have taken the pressure off us.

As a sports fan its tough sometimes, Wales rugby, football, scarlets...losing the will to live !Confused
I stood yer on tanner bank
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 9:44pm
Can I say I have no idea about football, or most other things, but that post sounded as one of the best informative descriptions I have ever read... I've no idea if it's correct but I read it it 3x and I'm very impressed..... One, if not the best sports analysis I have ever seen..... You should consider it as a profession .....not often seen in these parts

Brilliant

LlongyfarchiadauClap
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Can I say I have no idea about football, or most other things, but that post sounded as one of the best informative descriptions I have ever read... I've no idea if it's correct but I read it it 3x and I'm very impressed..... One, if not the best sports analysis I have ever seen..... You should consider it as a profession .....not often seen in these parts

Brilliant

LlongyfarchiadauClap
The Oracle- How come you never give me glowing compliments for my erudite writing?! ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Brilliant

LlongyfarchiadauClap
The Oracle- How come you never give me glowing compliments for my erudite writing?! ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜
The answer might be illuminating, if not necessarily entirely accurate or deserved.

And if he tries to pass off giving you the Nobbled Prize, with or without a K preceding it, dont give him any quarter.
In a world where you can be anything โ€“ Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic