Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Football World Cup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Wales population 3 million
USA population  332 million
Iran population  80 million

Looking at those figures we over achieved big time against USA
and losing only 2 nil, over achieved against Iran.  So well done Wales in even getting there in the first place.

If it was that straightforward every world cup final would be India v. China.

Football is the most popular sport in Wales, in the US it's behind at least four (NFL, hockey, basketball, baseball) but you're right, it is a large place and football is getting bigger there. Can't speak for Iran but I'd imagine infrastructure in Wales is better. Looking at number of professionals would be more useful, but Wales takes loads from England with a Welsh relative.

Absolutely correct, it was an abysmal performance from Wales and unacceptable.
If the rugby team performed like that, we would be going bananas!

To get there was amazing,
First time in my life I have seen a Welsh team in a tournament like this, so proud!
Having said that, it's the worst I have seen Wales playing in consecutive games.
As i said in the earlier post, there has been too much reliance on Ramsey and Bale for a while now, so Obviously the priority now is to blood some new talent to ensure that we make it to the next world cup, so this is not a "One off".

Page has also to take it on the chin for some poor decisions and real inflexibility.
Going forward he must learn from this.
Players are often comfortable with systems and patterns of playing, including formations.
To get us to WC, we have relied on 3 centre backs, supported by 2 wing backs and two midfielders.
That relied hugely on Joe Allen's ability to cover, and hold that deeper midfield, particularly as Ramsey is usually bombing up field. Apadau, did well as can be expected in this role, but without a fully fit Allen the back three were exposed time and again.
Page should have seen this coming but didn't.
I agree with Danny Gabbidon and play a 442 formation.
Whatever system we are playing, if people aren't delivering, you're on the ropes.
After saying that a different formation would have taken the pressure off us.

As a sports fan its tough sometimes, Wales rugby, football, scarlets...losing the will to live !Confused
Tough is an understatement for today.

After such a long time after the previous time we made the World Cup, it is a risk that some of the folk there will have been carried away by just being there.

Our management and players are fresh faced at this level of competition so with that lack of experience at the largest event in the footie calendar, it’s no surprise that there have been imperfections and mistakes in our 2 games.

You’d like to think that for the next campaign, some more experience will be brought in onto the sidelines. It’ll need to work wonders without Bale & Ramsay in the squad.

We’d love a win over England and somehow the Iran v USA result going our way so that we qualify so that we can qualify out of the group. Somehow, it seems too difficult a puzzle and that’s precisely where we need the Oracle’s clear thinking abilities as long as he isn’t allergic to Oxford commas
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Can I say I have no idea about football, or most other things, but that post sounded as one of the best informative descriptions I have ever read... I've no idea if it's correct but I read it it 3x and I'm very impressed..... One, if not the best sports analysis I have ever seen..... You should consider it as a profession .....not often seen in these parts

Brilliant

LlongyfarchiadauClap
The Oracle- How come you never give me glowing compliments for my erudite writing?! 🤨😁

The rewards of your diction are to earned like the prolateriate of the salt mines of lake Baikal ...achievementd will be given , but the time and place has yet to be decided ....easy accolades are worthless accolades my friend Big smile
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 10:46pm

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Can I say I have no idea about football, or most other things, but that post sounded as one of the best informative descriptions I have ever read... I've no idea if it's correct but I read it it 3x and I'm very impressed..... One, if not the best sports analysis I have ever seen..... You should consider it as a profession .....not often seen in these parts

Brilliant

LlongyfarchiadauClap
The Oracle- How come you never give me glowing compliments for my erudite writing?! 🤨😁

The rewards of your diction are to earned like the prolateriate of the salt mines of lake Baikal ...achievementd will be given , but the time and place has yet to be decided ....easy accolades are worthless accolades my friend Big smile

Come on Oracle work a miracle..so we can get out of the group PLEASE WinkLOL
I stood yer on tanner bank
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2022 at 11:25am
Wales were well beaten by Iran.  When I saw the draw for the World Cup I believed that we would get 6 points out of the first 2 games and that it would then put the pressure on England in the final game.
Unfortunately I thought that we would get one more good tournament out of Ramsey, Bale and joe Allen, but it’s clear to see that as much as they have carried the hopes of the nation in the past two euros, this is a tournament too far for them.  
Bale and Ramsey have been pretty much nonexistent for a majority of the 2 games (although Bale did score the equaliser against the USA.
Joe Allen did sit in front of the defence when he came on, and sured up that area, but showed his lack of match fitness and concentration by completely messing up his clearance which fell to the Iranian player to score the first goal, before losing out to the Iranian winger who then broke downfield to set up the second goal.
I’m glad that those three players have had a chance to play in a World Cup, but Page no needs to rebuild using the younger players within his squad, he may also need to look at checking out the eligibility of players who currently are not attached to international teams, as we are not blessed with an endless number of players who play in the top leagues of Europe.  This may see wales struggle to qualify for future tournaments in the short term but I believe that it has to happen.
It was interesting listening to Jergen Klinsmann yesterday, he called it correctly.  He stated that Iran would be in the face of the referee throughout the match and that they would leave a bit of themselves in the Welsh players at every opportunity, knowing that South American referees usually don’t pay too much attention to foul play.  That was clear to see throughout the game as the referee concluded that Hennessy’s challenge only warranted a yellow, only to be told to look at it again by VAR.
The number of times Nico Williams was taken out (without even getting a free kick or producing a yellow card) was incredibly.  The Iranian defender had 2 kicks at Keifer Moore’s face (accidentally) in the first half, and Bale took an elbow to the face when he tried to get around a player (again nothing was given).

Edited by Legendinmybathroom - 26 November 2022 at 6:36pm
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2022 at 2:45pm
Very Sad News 

A Wales football fan has died while following his country at the World Cup in Qatar.

Kevin Davies, who is believed to have been in the country with his son and friends, died on Friday – the same day that Wales lost to Iran in a group stage game at the Ahmad bin Ali stadium in Al Rayyan.

The 62-year-old, from Pembrokeshire, was on holiday in Doha according to BBC Wales, who reported that he died from natural causes. He was not at Wales’ group B fixture.

His family are being offered UK consular assistance and support by the Football Supporters’ Association Cymru

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 6:58pm
I know it's disrespectful but the English (and British) anthem is truly the pootest song ever. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 10:08pm
Wales predictably exited the world cup, with what we beforehand expected, was a comprehensive defeat.
In fairness, despite creating very little indeed, we were able to stifle the English in the 1st half, and they were probably a little frustrated.
The problem being, as in any sport, if you invite pressure, you are going to get hurt at some point, and that what happened in the end!
England have so much quality, on and off the field, regarding squad depth, that it's inevitable, that they would at some stage take one of the opportunities! 

The damage was done in the Iran game.
In 2016, we had key men Bale, Ramsey, Allen, 6 years younger, fitter, and playing more regularly.
Time has caught up with these guys, and we cannot get away from it, this was a miserable world cup
for Wales.

The secret I believe is now to build on this and not blithely accept the romantic notion, we are a small nation and it "nice" we can appear in these things, once in a while!

Uruguay is a small country, with a population, not much bigger than Wales, yet they are competing in their 5th world cup.
The FAW , need to be proactive now to ensure development takes place, so the next generations of Gareth Bale take shape.

I still believe we have a nucleus of players that, despite the bitter taste that failure brings, will have learned to be on this stage, and the likes of Neco Williams, Connor Roberts, Joe Rodon, Apadu, Johnson, James, etc, will be around for a while. and hopefully will form the nucleus of the next Wales major tournament push.
|Hopefully we can push on with optimism.

Finally, we probably soon, will have to get used to relying on moments of sheer magic from Ramsey and Bale. Both have been poor in this tournament, but we must be thankful for the stardust they have sprinkled, contributing to a mini-Renaissance in Welsh football.
For that we shall always be grateful. We shall miss them

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 10:25pm
Sentimemt ruled instead of common sense bald and ramsey legends of welsh football but both miles off form and match fitness both were shocking in our 3 games and we ended up playing with 9 men. Weak management tbh

Edited by RR1972 - 29 November 2022 at 10:26pm
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2022 at 10:50pm
Probably the beginning of a long recession for Wales. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 5:15am
One tournament too far for players that have been great servants to Welsh football sadly.

We have over achieved because of them over the last decade, but, like many countries of our size, we have a decent team once every few generations.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 8:48am
Outclassed & outplayed really, our second half performance reminded me of the way the US wilted against us in the first game.

Hopefully the core of the team can come together now & build. We don't have a bad Euros qualifying group & the next World Cup will be made up of 48 teams so fingers crossed.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 9:20am
Qatar was a tough ask....The heat, 3 days in 8 days, the alien envirnment, the first world cup in 64 years and a few greats not match fit..hats off to england I thought they were superb, so many threats with youth on their side who knows if they can go all the way?

This welsh generation  have had 2 true greats, but theyve also had a great work rate and unity and tremendous team spirit with the likes of ashley williams, neco williams , joe allen etc 

Wales always produce quality players, some world class players each generation...The 80s and 90s we had hughes, rush, southall, giggs, ratcliffe, saunders etc all absolute class players yet somehow never quite made a major....So we need to keep this spirit, this unity.....Rushie said the winnings from this tremendous world cup adventure will be pumped back into the community game with guys like him as welsh FA ambassadors I feel confident....
Bale and ramsey can go on as long as they like as far as Im concerned...who knows maybe they can have a golden summer if they tinker with their game the way giggs did in his latter career. Several youngsters were exposed to world cup experience last night and hopefully they can build on that.......I think page will continue,  though he may get some assistance perhaps even from bale and ramsey in a newly created role? Giggs is a tainted figure , it will be interesting to see if he ever returns to coaching, he has such a vast well of knowledge/experience to call upon but he has no one to blame but himself 

Huge credit to toshack and gary speed for building the foundations of this squad in the first place...The way they scouted the world for any welsh talent and the bravery to give youth a chance is something to aspire to in future...3 major tournaments in 6 years is a truly golden era and long may it continue...The players and fans met up post match for a rousing anthem and we go again in marchClap

Edited by roy munster - 30 November 2022 at 9:23am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:52am
Still don't get the population side of thing people are going on about. New Zealand has a small population. They do well in sport. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Still don't get the population side of thing people are going on about. New Zealand has a small population. They do well in sport. 

Agree very over used reason for non performance. If it had that much bearing then they may as well give all titles to China with India & USA as runners up. Playing population for any given sport is of far greater significance. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Qatar was a tough ask....The heat, 3 days in 8 days, the alien envirnment, the first world cup in 64 years and a few greats not match fit..hats off to england I thought they were superb, so many threats with youth on their side who knows if they can go all the way?

This welsh generation  have had 2 true greats, but theyve also had a great work rate and unity and tremendous team spirit with the likes of ashley williams, neco williams , joe allen etc 

Wales always produce quality players, some world class players each generation...The 80s and 90s we had hughes, rush, southall, giggs, ratcliffe, saunders etc all absolute class players yet somehow never quite made a major....So we need to keep this spirit, this unity.....Rushie said the winnings from this tremendous world cup adventure will be pumped back into the community game with guys like him as welsh FA ambassadors I feel confident....
Bale and ramsey can go on as long as they like as far as Im concerned...who knows maybe they can have a golden summer if they tinker with their game the way giggs did in his latter career. Several youngsters were exposed to world cup experience last night and hopefully they can build on that.......I think page will continue,  though he may get some assistance perhaps even from bale and ramsey in a newly created role? Giggs is a tainted figure , it will be interesting to see if he ever returns to coaching, he has such a vast well of knowledge/experience to call upon but he has no one to blame but himself 

Huge credit to toshack and gary speed for building the foundations of this squad in the first place...The way they scouted the world for any welsh talent and the bravery to give youth a chance is something to aspire to in future...3 major tournaments in 6 years is a truly golden era and long may it continue...The players and fans met up post match for a rousing anthem and we go again in marchClap

Excellent post Roy, spot on with all you say here.

Wales need to go again, as you say, and don't take this as a one-off adventure.
As SA14 and GPR are correct to say, population, is no barrier to success, just look at Uruguay, and how many World cups they have competed in!
We must organise and work harder to achieve our goal for putting Wales on the world stage more often.
Too many people accept failure too easily.
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2022 at 6:02pm
Little croatia is a great inspiration to small [beep]ries like ours...3.8 million just beat mighty brazils 214 million
On the field its 11 v 11 and with the likes of modric driving them to the end,  their sheer determination and organization somehow saw them to victory and a world cup semi
Im backing the argies or dutch to win the cup....but who dare right off the croats now?
sir duckling tuft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic