Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Football World Cup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2022 at 6:19pm
Would not be surprised if England beat France tomorrow night 
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 9:20pm
Ingerland are out of the World Cup.  Beaten by France in a great game.
The commentary and punditry has been shocking all match, England were robbed, they would have smashed Morocco if the got through, it was a missed opportunity etc.
England played well second half but the bottom line was they didn’t create enough chances, their only clear cut chances came from the penalty spot and I’m gutted that Harry Kane missed the second one (being a spurs fan).
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Ingerland are out of the World Cup.  Beaten by France in a great game.
The commentary and punditry has been shocking all match, England were robbed, they would have smashed Morocco if the got through, it was a missed opportunity etc.
England played well second half but the bottom line was they didn’t create enough chances, their only clear cut chances came from the penalty spot and I’m gutted that Harry Kane missed the second one (being a spurs fan).

Sorry but I didn't  think it was a great game. France showed no ambition to take the game to England. England showed more intent than France and were undone by Kane missing the penalty.  Neither side looked good enough to win the World Cup.  I hope someone beats Argentina, their behaviour against Netherlands was disgusting.
Keep the faith
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 10:31pm
England better team I thought should have won Harry Maguire should have scored with header

Thought Morroco were superb and well organised against Portugal 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 10:37pm
Average game to watch as a neutral. The referee gave England very little but England didn’t create enough chances either .Just as well Kane as a whitey missed the penalty and not a Rashford or the racial trolling would probably be off again. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 10 December 2022 at 10:38pm
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 10:54pm
The problem in UK,  the media builds it all up to hysteria., then look for scapegoats, when things go wrong ! It was the same in Wales, and we were total flops .
It's a disgrace that pundits  say it would be a" missed  opportunity " if England had gone through.Hang on there.,Morocco  are there by right,after deservingly beating two heavyweights in Spain and Portugal. 
If France think it's a straight Run to  the final...think again ..Morocco  are a formidable opponent,  even though  the French  will start obviously  favourites !
I agree with GREYPOWER, anyone to win this except the Argies..appalling behaviour in QF against Dutch. They have have been consistently been experts at cheating at major tournaments for years, and are now hiding behind Messi's brilliance. Scumbags 
'Come on Croatia'!
I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 11:34pm
I wonder what odds you’d have got at the start of the tournament for a Croatia verses Morocco final.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 4:34am
France to win it , they are like Toulouse in the rugby ...they could beat sides by a big score but choose instead to do just enough .....After Wales were knocked out the saes press expected us to automatically support engerland...I wonder how many English fans are now going to support France seeing that France are their close neighbours...chware teg achgen Big smile
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 8:52am
Not a football fan but thought England did well yesterday as France are a better team but it was close on the day. Mbappe was neutralised but then Greismann was so influential, plus both their goals were technically amazing: that strike from a defensive midfielder and then that cross to Giroud, wow. England applied long periods of pressure but a sometimes panicky French defence didn't allow true chances. Lloris made a couple of big saves to bail out his centre backs. I don't think you can rely on winning penalties to score, even if they actually won three but for a weird decision, and England simply don't create enough plus their crossing wasn't good yesterday. They lack that creative midfielder (or drop back no 10) player that can beat players one on one and put others in and this costs them against the big teams. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 8:57am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Not a football fan but thought England did well yesterday as France are a better team but it was close on the day. Mbappe was neutralised but then Greismann was so influential, plus both their goals were technically amazing: that strike from a defensive midfielder and then that cross to Giroud, wow. England applied long periods of pressure but a sometimes panicky French defence didn't allow true chances. Lloris made a couple of big saves to bail out his centre backs. I don't think you can rely on winning penalties to score, even if they actually won three but for a weird decision, and England simply don't create enough plus their crossing wasn't good yesterday. They lack that creative midfielder (or drop back no 10) player that can beat players one on one and put others in and this costs them against the big teams. 

The English football pundits really are over the top. France were missing 4/5 top starters in their team including ballon D'Or winner Benzema & Pogba. Southgate completely missed a trick by not giving Maddison, the best play maker in the squad, any time at all. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 9:53am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

The English football pundits really are over the top. France were missing 4/5 top starters in their team including ballon D'Or winner Benzema & Pogba. Southgate completely missed a trick by not giving Maddison, the best play maker in the squad, any time at all. 

For someone not claiming to be a football fan Dr Martinov is very astute & accurate with his comments .
A combination  of what he,  and GPR have said is spot on.
English  pundits moaning after the game , Jermaine Jenas being one.
Why doesn't he just go back to the "One Show", where he belongs!
"GUTTED" he said, well yes, if Wales were in that position,  I would be too.Thing is ,when he, and many other English pundits  go on about the ref and that England were the better side...hang on, you LOST!
As my asteemed  SF colleagues  have indicated  above,they lost because they did not create  enough, and more importantly,  did not convert the opportunities  they had.
Sport ,at any level,  but particularly at the top  end,  is all about taking chances, France did that, though  they probably  would  admit  were second best for large parts of that game.
After saying all the above, I am very disappointed  for Jordan Henderson.Being a Liverpool  fan,and having met Jordan I can safely say, that he is as humble and as great a human being, as he is a player. Unlike Saka, Rushford,Stones,etc, he won't have another chance.GPR is right, maybe Madison should have started, and would be great foil for Jordan.
You also have to feel for Harry Kane, another decent  guy, and great  player.That miss will haunt him forever.
After the first pen,felt confident  he would put it away, but hey, that's the pressure of the situation. 
Mohammad Salah has rarely  missed a pen.If in doubt hit it at pace and put it down the centre.Seen Mo do that so many times.,and that's what I was thinking  Harry would do.
Anyway, it's over now,, so I will be dusting off my Tommy Cooper fez,
and shouting "Come on Morocco "....just like that!LOL
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 10:14am
Reading the comments of others, many are critical of Southgate tactically, particularly his use of subs. Grealish must be half decent and I gather is a dribbler playmaker type? Bring him on earlier. Southgate's subs didn't make an impact, even I noticed that. England being a top ten side is fair but they are missing a star player or managerial nouse to get the wins over those better than them. But lack of development of English playmakers comfortable on the ball has been an issue forever, Prem sides were buying French, Spanish etc. talent for these roles to achieve success. That costs England at the international level if they can't utilise wingers and cross to a big target man, which Kane isn't despite his other qualities. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 10:33am
I agree about the non selection of Madison, he’s been consistently the most creative midfield player in the Premiership (English qualified) for a number of years, but doesn’t seem to be seen so by Southgate.
He seems to prefer players like Grealish, who just seems to fall over at the slighting touch - the most fouled player in the Premiership.  Madison gives you creativity and his end product is usually top draw, his crosses usually find their target and he’s very good from dead ball positions.
Kane, throughout the tournament (as well as at spurs) finds himself dropping deep to get the ball, and due to his all round play, often ends up being the most creative player in the team, but this means that he isn’t in the forefront of the attack.  
Kane will have another World Cup in him, as will most of the squad, with the exception of Henderson.
What’s frightening about the French side is despite the lack of interest in really taking the game to England last night, they still seemed to pick up their game enough to just score when needed. Add that to the fact that they left so many world class players at home due to injury.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 11:32am
I'm with France now ...all the waytolifying the trophie 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 12:02pm
Morocco for me.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2022 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

I agree about the non selection of Madison, he’s been consistently the most creative midfield player in the Premiership (English qualified) for a number of years, but doesn’t seem to be seen so by Southgate.
He seems to prefer players like Grealish, who just seems to fall over at the slighting touch - the most fouled player in the Premiership.  Madison gives you creativity and his end product is usually top draw, his crosses usually find their target and he’s very good from dead ball positions.
Kane, throughout the tournament (as well as at spurs) finds himself dropping deep to get the ball, and due to his all round play, often ends up being the most creative player in the team, but this means that he isn’t in the forefront of the attack.  
Kane will have another World Cup in him, as will most of the squad, with the exception of Henderson.
What’s frightening about the French side is despite the lack of interest in really taking the game to England last night, they still seemed to pick up their game enough to just score when needed. Add that to the fact that they left so many world class players at home due to injury.

Interesting this one Legend,  as I went up to see the Liverpool v Spurs , earlier this season(whichv won, unexpectedly).It was a backs to wall performance,  from us. Was surprised  how deep Harry played, sometimes,it worked as he was'nt always picked up,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic