Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli RFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 12:39am
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

It's cohesion thing, players wise I heard from a former RFC player, the squad is constantly changing with scarlets players and players around the region coming in an out.

Cohesion, yes ,that's a point.
I have felt for a while that the team was changing , game to game.
This is going back to when Ripper & Powell were playing.

Personally, I feel it high time Llanelli RFC  held a meeting , maybe Crys 16 can organise .
The committee can then answer questions .
How issues can be resolved, is another thing, but at least the discussion can be opened.
I would be happy paying a form of membership upfront(like scarlets season tickets),
If it meant raisin some extra funds.
We have to get the ball rolling in the opposite direction
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 2:39pm

It's cohesion thing, players wise I heard from a former RFC player, the squad is constantly changing with scarlets players and players around the region coming in an out.

teams changes every week. Just because you THINK you’re bringing better players in doesn’t mean you will have a better team. They don’t know whether they’re coming or going some of the players. You can have a great game one week and dropped from squad next week. For someone from the academy where more often or not they don’t perform anyway. Also if you don’t make the match days squad you’re not even allowed to train on a Thursday it’s absolute poo show there… to many yes men in that set up afraid to say how it is. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Llanelli1963 Llanelli1963 wrote:

teams changes every week. Just because you THINK you’re bringing better players in doesn’t mean you will have a better team. They don’t know whether they’re coming or going some of the players. You can have a great game one week and dropped from squad next week. For someone from the academy where more often or not they don’t perform anyway. Also if you don’t make the match days squad you’re not even allowed to train on a Thursday it’s absolute poo show there… to many yes men in that set up afraid to say how it is. 

Well these are questions to pose to Llanelli  RFC  committee,  as I have said. 
Apart from Crys 16 , what avenue  do we have to propose a general meeting,  considering  the seriousness of the current  situation,  which is obviously  unacceptable? 
I stood yer on tanner bank
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 6:13pm
I was talking to an ex Premiership player in work recently he was saying the current setup does not work as Scarlets regional project and academy players seem to walk into the feeder teams.

Rather than the Scarlets players being used by the feeders as they are needed it seems it’s being dictated by the Scarlets.

After a long discussion we agreed that it would be worth looking at starting a URC A team tournament to be used as a development league with the rule that say 10/15 in the starting lineup have to be under 25 years of age.

These games could be played the day after the URC games so that the the main teams can have their pick of the main squad.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2023 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

I was talking to an ex Premiership player in work recently he was saying the current setup does not work as Scarlets regional project and academy players seem to walk into the feeder teams.

Rather than the Scarlets players being used by the feeders as they are needed it seems it’s being dictated by the Scarlets.

After a long discussion we agreed that it would be worth looking at starting a URC A team tournament to be used as a development league with the rule that say 10/15 in the starting lineup have to be under 25 years of age.

These games could be played the day after the URC games so that the the main teams can have their pick of the main squad.
it wouldn’t work.. squads would have to be doubled. 
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 7:46am

If the squad by the sounds of it don't even know if they're training or playing form one week to the next its no wonder there is no team ethic/cohesion/unity call it what you will. In rugby if you don't build that rapport with your team mates your partner in crime if you're front row/centre etc then no wonder there's problems. I didn't realise it was that bad. I thought that the academy were placed in one of the three feeder teams for the season to learn the trade and culture of a club as opposed to being parachuted in and out as has been mentioned above. No wonder there is chaos.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 8:29am
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

If the squad by the sounds of it don't even know if they're training or playing form one week to the next its no wonder there is no team ethic/cohesion/unity call it what you will. In rugby if you don't build that rapport with your team mates your partner in crime if you're front row/centre etc then no wonder there's problems. I didn't realise it was that bad. I thought that the academy were placed in one of the three feeder teams for the season to learn the trade and culture of a club as opposed to being parachuted in and out as has been mentioned above. No wonder there is chaos.
that exactly how it is there mate. It’s shocking 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 8:32am

I take it Quinns and Drovers don't suffer the same way looking at the results
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 8:34am

I take it Quinns and Drovers don't suffer the same way looking at the results
I can’t speak for them I don’t follow them. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 8:47am
Ok just wondering if it was a policy thing as they don't seem to suffer from a results perspective anyway as bad
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 4:26pm
Unfortunately Llanelli RFC have yet again had a poor season to date.

We have had numerous Scarlets pros and senior academy players throughout the season in the main, and the results have been not what’s expected.

Llandovery and Quins have had very limited Scarlets players with the vast majority being kept with us at the RFC this season.

Next season with alleged Scarlets funding drop and Scarlets squad cuts, the RFC could be in a worse  state again, as there will be less pros dropping in to the RFC.

I fear a 40 point hiding tonight in Ebbw, hope I am wrong.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

Unfortunately Llanelli RFC have yet again had a poor season to date.

We have had numerous Scarlets pros and senior academy players throughout the season in the main, and the results have been not what’s expected.

Llandovery and Quins have had very limited Scarlets players with the vast majority being kept with us at the RFC this season.

Next season with alleged Scarlets funding drop and Scarlets squad cuts, the RFC could be in a worse  state again, as there will be less pros dropping in to the RFC.

I fear a 40 point hiding tonight in Ebbw, hope I am wrong.
you called it buddy… last game for me. I’m done with it been a hard 2 seasons only people who watch now are family members of the players. 
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 9:16pm
RFC lost 35 points to 3 in Ebbw Vale 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2023 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

RFC lost 35 points to 3 in Ebbw Vale 
Who controls the twitter feed. It’s always a very young side battled well. Please just say it how it is…. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 6:49am
It just comes down to funding really, and that then calls in to question what the purpose of the Premiership actually is...it's never been clear to me. Benefactors generally govern the league table position, and the requirements of the region become very blurred within that (at best).

Having a look at the different profiles of the teams from Friday, particularly the packs, it's miles apart, and that's not going to be any different when you come up against the other teams in the Scarlets region either.

All have a pack of guys that have had some pro rugby in the past (at least to Academy level), Wales age grade caps, come from other Prem clubs, or are stalwarts of the same club for a decade or more, all now mostly mid to late 20's or beyond.

Llanelli RFC is littered with Academy players or Championship ( or lower league) players, as they just don't have the funds allocated to 'buy' half a dozen players of the above profile to be there week in week out.

Making it a pure coaching issue doesn't resonate with me, the whole platform is wrong.

Personally, you are either a professional player or an amateur. Semi professional is a hybrid term for effectively just paying players, some of which (at Prem level) have that income as their primary occupation.

No doubt continuity in selection and coaching caliber must come in to it, most weeks the team is radically different to the week before, but no external funds and no continuity in selection, well, I'm not sure any coach could turn that in to a league winning outcome.

Its been like this for nearly a decade now, but what I would say is the RFC platform has at least given Academy guys game time, that's not enough granted, but it's better than the alternative.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It just comes down to funding really, and that then calls in to question what the purpose of the Premiership actually is...it's never been clear to me. Benefactors generally govern the league table position, and the requirements of the region become very blurred within that (at best).

Having a look at the different profiles of the teams from Friday, particularly the packs, it's miles apart, and that's not going to be any different when you come up against the other teams in the Scarlets region either.

All have a pack of guys that have had some pro rugby in the past (at least to Academy level), Wales age grade caps, come from other Prem clubs, or are stalwarts of the same club for a decade or more, all now mostly mid to late 20's or beyond.

Llanelli RFC is littered with Academy players or Championship ( or lower league) players, as they just don't have the funds allocated to 'buy' half a dozen players of the above profile to be there week in week out.

Making it a pure coaching issue doesn't resonate with me, the whole platform is wrong.

Personally, you are either a professional player or an amateur. Semi professional is a hybrid term for effectively just paying players, some of which (at Prem level) have that income as their primary occupation.

No doubt continuity in selection and coaching caliber must come in to it, most weeks the team is radically different to the week before, but no external funds and no continuity in selection, well, I'm not sure any coach could turn that in to a league winning outcome.

Its been like this for nearly a decade now, but what I would say is the RFC platform has at least given Academy guys game time, that's not enough granted, but it's better than the alternative.

Agree with this view especially the highlighted bits. There needs to be a more coherent development strategy which is built from the bottom up. This has to identify future talent to feed into premiership/regional/international level teams. This would involve recognising that everything below premiership/regional/international level should be regarded as a 'hobby' (and I don't mean that negatively). The top layers of the game provide the competitions and revenue and everything should be done to protect that.
What's going on?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic