Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Energy crises

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 9:09am
Labour are totally on the wrong end of the argument too which is exacerbating the situation further and the tories know this...Lost down endless rabbit holes, labour totally fail to represent the sme's the working majority....This is exactly where the war is and where they need to be fighting 
sir duckling tuft
Sponsored Links

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 1:10pm
My energy was supplied by SSE who then where taken over by OVO energy...who are dreadful....phoned them up when they took " control" of my gas and electric and they sent me an estimated bill for the last Qtr.
I told them I sent the correct gas meter reading to SSE and expect the bill for the quarter to be what I bloody used which was £600 less than the estimated bill. Talking to their incredibly talented customer service expert...( tbh I found SSE customer services excellent) I said can you tell me what my my bill really is as you have the correct meter reading....the lady on the phone said..why don't you work it out, get a calculator...I reminder her its her poxy job to tell me.....the World is slowly going pathetic.  

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 7:03am
Record profits for Centrica (British Gas) due to be announced...

No crisis for them. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 8:05am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Record profits for Centrica (British Gas) due to be announced...

No crisis for them. 
£3.3 billionAngry
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 9:14am
A friend of mine is currently finishing an upgrade of his home prior to retirement...he was walking me around the work done so far ....Beside the upgrade to the structure , he has re insulated the building totally to at least 300% above recommendations...He has removed the gas supply and made everything electric ...All devices are brand new top level eviciency and everything is run from the 4 array solar panel he has in the garden and roof ...he has a total of 14.2 kw/HR supply at peak brightness and storage batteries and a convertor unit that sells excessback to the grid ....it's cost him a bit of investment but as he said ...energy prices in this country will never fall back to what they were b4 not because the wholesale price hasn't fallen , but because the private corporations who own  government  ministers don't want them too....
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

A friend of mine is currently finishing an upgrade of his home prior to retirement...he was walking me around the work done so far ....Beside the upgrade to the structure , he has re insulated the building totally to at least 300% above recommendations...He has removed the gas supply and made everything electric ...All devices are brand new top level eviciency and everything is run from the 4 array solar panel he has in the garden and roof ...he has a total of 14.2 kw/HR supply at peak brightness and storage batteries and a convertor unit that sells excessback to the grid ....it's cost him a bit of investment but as he said ...energy prices in this country will never fall back to what they were b4 not because the wholesale price hasn't fallen , but because the private corporations who own  government  ministers don't want them too....
Sounds a great project and the way to go.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 9:52am
Sounds to me he'll have to live to 100 to get back his investment.  When I looked at the feasibility of fitting solar panels on a new build ten years ago, it would have taken over 25 years to get back my capital outlay. As I would then be dead I decided against it.
Keep the faith
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Sounds to me he'll have to live to 100 to get back his investment.  When I looked at the feasibility of fitting solar panels on a new build ten years ago, it would have taken over 25 years to get back my capital outlay. As I would then be dead I decided against it.
Technology has advanced plenty since then. 

Solar panels can be about twice as productive as they used to be. Also, previously, if a pigeon landed on one of your array of panels, it would reduce output on all of them. Now it reduces output on just the one concerned.

Battery storage has come on in leaps and bounds too.

The economics of the situation have changed markedly and with current prices, the payback period is vastly reduced. Some installations might only be a 4 year payback. Utility company prices might fall, however, they might not and being free of such a dependency is a great feeling.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 10:50am
Thanks, if only crystal balls were more advanced back then I may have gone for the solar panels.Wink
Keep the faith
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 10:54am
I don't think my mate was looking to make a profit as such , his attitude was ..I'm not giving those thieving bastards any of my hard earned money , which is ironic has he has just spent 14 months under his majesty's control for tax avoidance ....
Btw don't mention some ex Tory minister who had a bad memory to him 
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 11:10am
does anyone really understand how this windfall tax works and for how long? Their profits are obscene
sir duckling tuft
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 12:29pm
This £3.3 billion profit during a period of time where people are having to decide where they eat of turn on their heating is just sickening.  These profits are on the back of not having to do anything other than cashing in on the war in Ukraine and subsequent gas oil and energy crisis.
The CEO is now in line to receive a £1.6 million pound bonus on top of his already substantial salary.
Centrica is in essence the previously government owned British Gas.  If it was still in the hands of the government then we would have had more control over the unit cost of gas and as a result millions of people wouldn’t be in the situation that they find themselves in.  Instead, we have private companies making sickening profits and paying out more in dividends to shareholders than they do in tax and investment in renewable energy sources etc.
They were saying on the news this morning that due to the stupid competition rules of business (agreed by the government), British Gas is not allowed to sell its gas off cheaper to their customers or other gas suppliers (as it breaks competition rules).  Just by changes the rules, gas prices (to the public) could reduce, easing the pressure ever so slightly.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 12:54pm
https://twitter.com/davesumnersmith/status/1625041382514499584?t=cLui0KZdydK1ac1wdzzeXA&s=19

This is what I don't understand , there is no reason for us not to be paying the same as the rest Europe 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

This £3.3 billion profit during a period of time where people are having to decide where they eat of turn on their heating is just sickening.  These profits are on the back of not having to do anything other than cashing in on the war in Ukraine and subsequent gas oil and energy crisis.
The CEO is now in line to receive a £1.6 million pound bonus on top of his already substantial salary.
Centrica is in essence the previously government owned British Gas.  If it was still in the hands of the government then we would have had more control over the unit cost of gas and as a result millions of people wouldn’t be in the situation that they find themselves in.  Instead, we have private companies making sickening profits and paying out more in dividends to shareholders than they do in tax and investment in renewable energy sources etc.
They were saying on the news this morning that due to the stupid competition rules of business (agreed by the government), British Gas is not allowed to sell its gas off cheaper to their customers or other gas suppliers (as it breaks competition rules).  Just by changes the rules, gas prices (to the public) could reduce, easing the pressure ever so slightly.

100% a consequence of the way the UK's political & electoral systems work, giving a majoritarian government on the largest minority of votes, whereby that particular constituency is dominated by the wealthiest classes that live in the south eastern corner of Britain and so dominate the political agenda. This has been going on a very long time. It skews Welsh politics enormously. The vast majority of us look at the way things work and we think to ourselves "not the Tories". So we think "What's the alternative?" And the answer usually comes back "Labour". I don't believe that if Wales were a State in its' own right that Labour would have enjoyed a 100 year majority here. They're not particularly great. Would we have nationalised public services in an independent Wales? Seems like there's more appetite for it here than elsewhere. AFAIC the UK does not work. But I have been persuaded of the benefits of countries forming unions in light of the Brexit vote and the nature of the Welsh border so I am open to replacing the UK with a new British Union. Surely we cannot continue as we are?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

https://twitter.com/davesumnersmith/status/1625041382514499584?t=cLui0KZdydK1ac1wdzzeXA&s=19

This is what I don't understand , there is no reason for us not to be paying the same as the rest Europe 

Come on now Oracle you know the reason Wink 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 2:30pm
I'm not saying the B word in February..Val had a dry January and my challenge is no ranting on line anywhere about the B word ......it's killing me Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic