Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food & Cooking Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:44am
Read that back...I was off on one...apologies for the tediousness.
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Read that back...I was off on one...apologies for the tediousness.
Didn’t strike me as tedious. You were maybe dreaming of your next slap up feed.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I've got in to this in recent years...as have the other men of the family funnily enough (Alex and Scott).
My wife is just an amazing cook, huge repertoire, and even more so since she stopped working a few years ago, so my chances in the kitchen are not as much as I'd like, but I can't argue with the outcome is fab.

I could regale you with stories of some amazing food from living in the Far East, Asia, North and East Africa over the last 30 years, but the reality is most of those recipes, ingredients and techniques can't be replicated in your next stop or in the UK really.

However I think it's fair to say that as family here we are an absolute mash up of meal preferences (I think the modern word is fusion!)

Ask my teenagers their Top 5 foods and they would say...

-String hoppers with milk rice ( Sri Lanka)

-Nyama Choma - a sort of mixed ribs/grilled meat (Kenya)

-Gratin de crevettes - cheesy prawns! (Morocco)

-Tamil black pepper chicken curry (Tamil Southern India/Northern Sri Lanka)

-Subway Italian melt on French bread (Haverfordwest)--I'm serious...they've never seen a place where you can make up your very own sandwich with anything you want, and with any sauce you want).

For me, my go to food is now fish based...love it.

I'm going to Watamu on the Kenya coast next weekend...quiet, beautiful place...a guy will rock up in the morning and ask us what fish we'd like...we'd tell him, and his crew would go out an catch it...bring it in the evening and off you go.

I don't really go for the fish steak type ( barracuda, swordfish sailfish, tuna etc) but the smaller Red Snapper, King fish, and prawns, calamari etc).

Watamu, and the nearby town of Malindi, have been popular destinations for Italians for many decades, some have stayed and set up some truly amazing restaurants with great vistas and menus too...Papa Remo is a favorite stop.

Menu to search and try ..

Mango Snapper...

Great thread--thanks for starting!

PS--I do love and read the wine and beer thread by the way, but I have absolutely zip to add to it...I have been drinking 'local' for the last 30 years...none of which I'd recommend. Basically, formaldehyde in beer and plop in wine...if you want the best of that world then do let me know!

Very interesting post Wil. You can't beat fish that fresh thats for sure. Have very fond memories of stopping over at Mombasa on my return from my work in Zambia many years ago. It was in the hotel there that I had octopus curry which was fantastic. 

On the subject of fish I recall having butter fish in George when we travelled the famed Garden Route in South Africa - that was delicious. Happy days. Have a great trip & report back on your culinary experiences. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Thanks Pimp & others for feedback. Slice is a very good eatery Pimp - my daughter took us there a few years ago for our anniversary. I do 70% of the cooking at home & really enjoy it. We are having roast rib of beef today with roasties etc usual Sunday roast for us. My wife makes a great yorkshire pudding to accompany. I am going to open a nice little Chianti to set me up to watch the wonderful French players perform.

RR1972 impressed with the wellington effort - keep it up my friend. Thumbs Up

Roast rib of beef..sounds amazing Big smile
I am cooking some pork shoulder steaks today, cooking in slow cooker with apples, chives, otherwise could be tough.

If anyone has the time,would like to know some detailed recipes.
Ingredients/methods/ cooking times....etc.
Would be brilliant. 
Nothing to complicated  for me, but I am happy to have a go.
I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 8:06am
I have acquired some pheasants locally. Never tasted or cooked so any tips would be appreciated. First thought was to roast but no logic behind that move. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 8:44am

I have acquired some pheasants locally. Never tasted or cooked so any tips would be appreciated. First thought was to roast but no logic behind that move. 

This is my go to one for pheasants.... Pot-roasted pheasant recipe | BBC Good Food 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 8:46am
Got some beef short ribs coming this week, going to brown them then fry off onions, garlic & carrots before adding a bit of tomato puree. Put the ribs back in the pot & then add a botte of ale & beef stock, bring to the boil & then put in the oven for 4 hours.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Got some beef short ribs coming this week, going to brown them then fry off onions, garlic & carrots before adding a bit of tomato puree. Put the ribs back in the pot & then add a botte of ale & beef stock, bring to the boil & then put in the oven for 4 hours.

That sounds wonderful Fscarlet. I cooked beef short ribs on our smoker last summer, basted with honey - they were good. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 8:56am

This is my go to one for pheasants.... Pot-roasted pheasant recipe | BBC Good Food 

Thank you Fscarlet - good source of interesting recipes by the way. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 8:58am

Thank you Fscarlet - good source of interesting recipes by the way. 

Aye BBC Good food is brilliant. Not only do they have contributions from the public but the majority of recipes that celebrity chefs do on Saturday Kitchen end up on there. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 9:00am

That sounds wonderful Fscarlet. I cooked beef short ribs on our smoker last summer, basted with honey - they were good. 

Sounds good! I think I need to invest in a smoker!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 9:07am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Thanks Pimp & others for feedback. Slice is a very good eatery Pimp - my daughter took us there a few years ago for our anniversary. I do 70% of the cooking at home & really enjoy it. We are having roast rib of beef today with roasties etc usual Sunday roast for us. My wife makes a great yorkshire pudding to accompany. I am going to open a nice little Chianti to set me up to watch the wonderful French players perform.

I am cooking some pork shoulder steaks today, cooking in slow cooker with apples, chives, otherwise could be tough.

Would be brilliant. 

Pimp I will gladly provide some recipes. Let me know your dislikes first. The recipe that Fscarlet provided me from the BBC Good Food site is a great source of one off recipes. I just google recipes with whatever ingredient & there you have it.

You mention slow cooking - great way to cook in one pot with very tender outcomes. My favourite Sunday roast is slow cooked shoulder of lamb. I have also made spiced slow cooked lamb shanks. Not overly spicy just cumin & red wine, I serve it with mash and savoy cabbage & a bottle of Malbec ( for drinking I would add not cooking!!!!). 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 9:14am

Would be brilliant. 

See if you can get a good rub/marinade for it & cover the steaks, then cover & put in fridge. Take them out the fridge & come to room temp then pan fry for 3 mins in a bit of oil on each side over a medium to high heat then cover with foil & rest. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 9:28am
Is anyone watching Gordon Ramsey's latest money spinning cooking show - Next Level Chef? Now Gordon is a bit loud and frantic for my taste but the programme does give some interesting tips for taking good home cooking to "the next level". Last week the chefs were tasked with making one of their family favourites. One chef cooked shepherd's pie and made it a little different by incorporating parmisan in his mash potato topping. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 9:30am

Is anyone watching Gordon Ramsey's latest money spinning cooking show - Next Level Chef? Now Gordon is a bit loud and frantic for my taste but the programme does give some interesting tips for taking good home cooking to "the next level". Last week the chefs were tasked with making one of their family favourites. One chef cooked shepherd's pie and made it a little different by incorporating parmisan in his mash potato topping. 

Yes it's very American in its concept but it is a good & easy watch. I think they're being split from their teams this week. I must say some of the equipment from in the basement is hilarious!! 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 11:01am

Would be brilliant. 

Pimp I will gladly provide some recipes. Let me know your dislikes first. The recipe that Fscarlet provided me from the BBC Good Food site is a great source of one off recipes. I just google recipes with whatever ingredient & there you have it.

You mention slow cooking - great way to cook in one pot with very tender outcomes. My favourite Sunday roast is slow cooked shoulder of lamb. I have also made spiced slow cooked lamb shanks. Not overly spicy just cumin & red wine, I serve it with mash and savoy cabbage & a bottle of Malbec ( for drinking I would add not cooking!!!!). 
Thanks GPR. Looks as if I will need to employ you for a paid tutorial!Wink
We eat most things, generally  plain and simple. I do'nt cook with wine , because  we obviously  cannot start stocking alcohol in the house.
Shame about that, but its the way it is.Gone off lamb a little, otherwise, OK with most.
I slow cook beef on Sunday (slow cooker), then in the week vary with chicken,  fish, spag bog, cawl, casserole etc.
Need someone with your expertise to take me to another level.
I love cooking, but wish do'nt always have to do it.
The wife and me work together, allays,  sue cleans veg, while I do other stuff. Problem is , she will never remember cooking times or what's on stove.
Anything I can learn is really welcome. 
This another  great thing aboutbthe forum, a wealth of expertise to be tapped into....and its "Scarlets  expertise "LOL
I stood yer on tanner bank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic